Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

HGST recovery success rate

April 13th, 2017, 7:19

I would like to know what is overall success rate for HGST Z7K500-500 HTS725050A7E630 head transplant.
I have very poor success rate & for unknown reasons head transplant fails.
I know ultimate success depends upon individual skills , tools and platter condition ,but in this case disk was making higher pitch clicking ,even after head transplant from healthy donor , disk tends to make same noise and stays busy.
There was no visible scratches on upper platter .
Is this due to high RPM ? What is all of your experience for this model. I want to know where I am wrong and how can I improve.

Re: HGST recovery success rate

April 13th, 2017, 8:13

We usually get most of them, but having PC3K makes a huge difference in that.

April 13th, 2017, 10:01

@bunty
Test your technique on two working drives, not a damaged one. Then you will know if the technique is right or not.
Often, media damage on Hitachi is on lower surfaces, not top.

April 13th, 2017, 12:33

Got one in right now...heads are still alive. There is a lot of media damage with both heads in first 20% of the drive, but as we get to higher LBAs, both heads read fine. It is Mac encrypted, making it a little more essential to get the best clone possible.

April 13th, 2017, 17:11

Hi,
HGST has very weak platters , for me i have bad rate in Hitschi 2.5 ...
you have to check the original heads .. is its bint means it eill eat all the heads u will replsce later..

April 13th, 2017, 18:55

Z7K320-320 also arrived today. Head 0 read 100% and head 1 is dead. Will likely get a full clone after a head change next week.

April 14th, 2017, 0:15

Hi guys
Thanks for sharing your experiences.
originally disk was making loud noise , after head swap there is no change in symptoms.
There was no visible damage to top platters. Unfortunately if heads put back in donor , donor has lost detection and it also stays busy. (no clicking noise comes)
patient has damaged donor heads. I will have to purchase new donor now.
My worry is even second set get damaged , there will be big loss. Customer is not going to pay cost of donors :(

April 15th, 2017, 15:11

Maybe the approach you using of replacing the HSA is wrong
In order to check it, you'll have to practice to replace a HSA from one "good working" drive to another "good working" drive

April 17th, 2017, 1:25

If drive has media damage, heads should die. If heads are still working - it's not media damage.

July 12th, 2017, 0:09

I think it cause by high RPM.

July 12th, 2017, 5:26

Good drives for data recovery. Only lost original PCB could make a headache.
Post a reply