All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HGST NetApp drives in non-NetApp system
PostPosted: April 25th, 2017, 1:24 

Hey all,

Just bought a couple dozen 600gb SAS drives for an awesome price. Unfortunately I can see now why they're such an awesome price - proprietary firmware from NetApp. Drives are all model# HUC109060CSS600 .

I'm trying whatever I can to get them flashed back to Hitachi firmware, but can't find the utility to use or the firmware to flash. One of the most promising-seeming posts I came across was on this very forum, so I decided to register and see if anyone could guide me.

https://forum.hddguru.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31542

Thanks,

~Micah

Post subject: Re: HGST NetApp drives in non-NetApp system
PostPosted: April 26th, 2017, 16:52 

Hey all,

So we figured out how to do this with a friendly tip from our local NetApp reseller. Generally the only difference between NetApp firmware and regular firmware is that it's capable of doing some fancy auto-update-propagation, and the sector size is different. This means a low-level format should do the trick, and in our case it did. We're now able to put these drives into our Dell R610 with the Perc 6/i controller and RAID thema nd do wharever we want.

We tried using the onboard LSI low-level format function in a couple of our controllers, but that didn't do the trick - could tell the sector size was then corrected to 512bytes but couldn't put it into RAID in any system nor format or mount it in Linux with standard tools.

We live-booted current latest Ubuntu (17.10) with drives connected in pass-through mode to the on-board LSI controller (SAS2308 I think) in an HP Z820 we have. These are the commands we used:
https://forums.servethehome.com/index.p ... size.4968/

Install sg3_utils (possibly sg3-utils, depending on distribution):
Code:
apt-get install sg3_utils

List drives:
Code:
sg_scan -i

Format Drive (replace X with device number found using previous command):
Code:
sg_format --format --size=512 --six -v /dev/sgX

We found these drives very cheap, because of the NetApp firmware. Haven't done a lot of perf testing but we're quite optimistic. Best of luck!

PostPosted: November 18th, 2017, 17:48 

Hi
Can you inform the system that you was trying to use the HDs? I had the same problem with Seagate Modelo ST3450851SS (Firmware NA00) trying to use to replace a faled HD in a Hitachi AMS 2500, controller recognize it but won't use it in the raid group, funny thing is that the raid group is already using the same HD model but with different firmware (4C51). Was this your case? Can it be solved with a lower level format?
Thanks

micahtangelo wrote:
Hey all,

Just bought a couple dozen 600gb SAS drives for an awesome price. Unfortunately I can see now why they're such an awesome price - proprietary firmware from NetApp. Drives are all model# HUC109060CSS600 .

I'm trying whatever I can to get them flashed back to Hitachi firmware, but can't find the utility to use or the firmware to flash. One of the most promising-seeming posts I came across was on this very forum, so I decided to register and see if anyone could guide me.

https://forum.hddguru.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31542

Thanks,

~Micah

PostPosted: November 18th, 2017, 18:17 

The only way to know is to try it. Some models/firmware revisions will allow re-formatting to a 512b sector size, some will not allow it. You just have to load up SG3_utils in Linux and try it.