Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

How to make an accurate diagnosis of the parts of a HDD ?

May 5th, 2017, 6:04

Hi everybody, I write from Italy. I introduce myself as an average user, with some small experience.
I've read the forum guidelines and I hope I will not make any gross mistakes about it all.
My problem is the following: For three years I have an external hdd, Seagate desktop expansion 2TB (hdd: ST2000DM001 - Made in China). I used it mainly to contain personal data and sometimes to download from the internet. A few weeks ago I had left the hdd to download the Bitcoin Blockchain via torrent. On my return I found the hdd turned on but inaccessible. The torrent client judged it unavailable.
Okay, I tried to disconnect and reconnect it, nothing.
I've tried linux systems, nothing.
I tried to "see the hdd" using data recovery and hdd testing software, without success.
I'll tell you what it is: If I connect the hdd repeatedly via usb, once on 5, it is recognized by the OS, but when I try to browse folders or make a copy of files, or try to test it with a diagnostic program, every action freezes until I unplug the Usb cable. In this regard, I noticed that as the hdd attempts to read the data, the hdd engine seems to slow down (as if it lacked the current at that time) and then return to its normal rotation speed, blocking the applications that were reading the data. At that point I can only disconnect it.
I would like to ask, to the most experienced users of this forum, an idea of where the problem may be. I add that the hdd does not make any noise, such as "tac-tac, clack-clack ...", i do not think there is a problem with Heads.
I would like to find a way to recover data from the disk, at least the most important things (about 1TB of personal documents).
I want to thank you in advance to anyone who wants to help me. I am available for any clarification.
Best regards
Kube

Re: How to make an accurate diagnosis of the parts of a HDD

May 6th, 2017, 0:40

You need to take out drive from enclosure and connect it to computer through sata. Also it's good to get terminal output.

Re: How to make an accurate diagnosis of the parts of a HDD

May 6th, 2017, 7:33

drHDD wrote:You need to take out drive from enclosure and connect it to computer through sata. Also it's good to get terminal output.

Thanks for your answer.
Excuse me, what do you mean when you say: to get terminal output? How should I do?
Post a reply