Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

Heads assembly touching each other. Questions ?

May 8th, 2017, 17:46

I know when doing a head replacement, heads should not touching each other. my questions are:

1- Which hard drives or models that are okay if heads touched each other?
2- if heads touched each other and I continue the head replacement, Wil it damages the media?

Re: Heads assembly touching each other. Questions ?

May 9th, 2017, 10:08

I know there are some drives where it's not a big deal. Many WD drives can have this heads touch and still be perfectly usable. As a rule though, I never ever let the heads touch, just to eliminate that as being a potential problem. No reason to add unnecessary risk.

May 9th, 2017, 11:18

if you see all the things is there nothing change go ahead .. replace the heads it will work ..

i have recovered 100% with touching heads like this

Give it try

goodluck

May 9th, 2017, 12:20

I think most drives are OK with the heads touching, as long as they don't slap together. If you just pull it off the back of the ramp, with nothing separating the heads, the impact when they snap together will usually always kill the heads. However, if you gently remove a spacer in such a way as to gracefully place them together they're usually fine later. This might be useful for storage purposes if you want to save a set without putting them back in the donor drive.

There are some, however, that will get stuck together if they touch and you may damage them trying to separate them afterward. So my rule of thumb is to always keep them separated.

If they do touch, I'd inspect them well under a microscope before using them in a patient drive. Just in case there's physical damage.
Post a reply