All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 Firmware SD81
PostPosted: May 10th, 2017, 11:16 

Hello

I have a Seagate FreeAgent Desk disk that was unrecognizable from Win7. So I opened up and I found inside the Barracuda 7200.11 with SD81 firmware.
So I put the drive inside my Mac Pro and after a chkdsk on my Win7 Bootcamp the drive becomes visible.
So after some surface scans, I found that the disk has some bad sectors. Anyway, I'm lucky and I have almost completed the backup of the most valuable data to another drive.
So after I finish the backup I'm intending to make full 0s erase of the disk and see if I can "remap" the bad sectors. Or if this doesn't work I will try to exclude them from the usable partitions that I will create. If all this work I intend to use/check the drive for a while and see if any new bad sectors appear. Since I'm not an HDD guru but a simple user with some more computer knowledge, I don't know if the procedure has some real effects or its just some crap from the web! Also, I'm willing to update the firmware of the drive. So here starts the problem I have. After using SeaTools program from Seagate I found out that the drive has some new firmware, but after I checked with the drive s/n on Seagate's website it said that there is no new firmware for my drive!
So I decided to contact their support. They told me the same thing. But I also found this link http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/e ... Q/207951en that surprisingly says that my drive has a newer firmware the SD1A. So I think that the support stuff on Seagate does not know shit!!
Anyway based on your knowledge you think I should update the firmware of my drive or leave as it.

Thanks
Costas

My drive details :
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11
ST31000340AS
Firmware : SD81
S/N : 5QJ0NP2Q