All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Cloning Tool
PostPosted: June 4th, 2017, 21:21 

HaQue wrote:
The advice for a hard disk where the problem is not known would never be to continually power it on and try different things out of hope. I just hope whatever the issue is, is non-destructive.

It would be better to get a similar card, hone the skills required to get these commands working, then perform on patient.

If bunty is a DR Pro, or PC Shop, estimate around 5 hours and the revenue from the recovery will be less than time spent /$.

skills gained may be useful in future, no doubt. But usually the customer will not allow enough time for hobbyist type of exploration, and cancels recovery. I never understand that line of thinking though as the recovery will never happen with card put in a drawer after cancelling.

+1
This is getting too technical, and involves playing with a users data in attempts that are unknown. It is easy to suggest trying things, but all things must be considered.Trying to help someone else to do these things is difficult, if not impossible, and the result could be disaster. I will support any desired attempts, but do not recommend it with someones data at risk.

PostPosted: June 7th, 2017, 16:14 

The OP has already attempted to clone the drive at least once, plus his colleague has done the same thing in a Windows environment. That's 128GB of reads. I'm asking the OP to read 3 sectors. Will these sectors be the straw that breaks the camel's back?

Moreover, I'm asking the OP to ask the drive for a sense code. That should be standard practice for any competent diagnostician. In fact that's normal practice for any good OS. SCSI drives, for example, always return such error codes via the Request Sense command. The OP is blessed with an ATA/ATAPI device that provides similar feedback, so why not take advantage of it? AISI, reducing the drive to a pile of bits without even asking for an error code would be like a mechanic disassembling an engine without asking the computer what is wrong with it.

The Execute Drive Diagnostic command dates back to the earliest implementations of the ATA standard. A similar, if not identical, test would be performed by the drive during its POST, so no risk there.

Identify Device would be the first command sent to the drive by the BIOS or the diagnostic tool. A checksum test of the data would be a simple way to check the IDE interface for stuck bits. Such a fault is not uncommon and could explain why no data have been found during a sector scan.

The Translate Sector command is a huge bonus. Essentially it tells you exactly where each piece of the jigsaw fits into the puzzle, assuming the drive supports the command, and assuming the output is still valid. Ignoring this valuable command would be akin to reducing an engine to its component parts and then attempting to reassemble it after discarding the workshop manual. Moreover, the translator would be in RAM, so presumably there would be no NAND access during the execution of the command.

See the following thread:

Barefoot logical to virtual mapping details (M225):
viewtopic.php?t=35428

The OP in that thread has the advantage of being able to access the entire raw contents of the NAND array without reducing his SSD to a pile of bits. Moreover, the flash controller is serving up error corrected data. That's a much better approach than "chip-off" (see HaQue's "how we would do it" comments in that thread), but he is still at an impasse because he cannot find a unique correspondence between logical and physical pages.

PostPosted: June 7th, 2017, 16:50 

I should add that most commercial tools have a GUI based ATA terminal, so there is no need to wrestle with a command line. Just enter the register values into their appropriate boxes and click "go".

PostPosted: June 7th, 2017, 17:01 

One other thing to do would be to compare the two cloned images. If there are any differences, then these might illuminate the nature of the problem.

PostPosted: June 8th, 2017, 3:50 

Hi fzabkar
Thanks for keeping this thread alive
I have calculated 160Bit SHA1 for both images , both signatures are different. I think I have stopped cloning for different intervals after bad sectors were started appearing . Thank is the reason SHA1 is different.
If I have taken SHA1 for only good part probabaly it would been same.
I can give remote access to both files ,in case if someone wants to experiment . Pls. PM me for the same so that we can schedule it.

Thank you

Attachments:
SHA1 compariosn.PNG
SHA1 compariosn.PNG [ 17.69 KiB | Viewed 1008 times ]

PostPosted: June 8th, 2017, 17:50 

@bunty
My opinion of not continuing is based on the fact that this is getting to a higher technical level, and you seemed like you were not comfortable with that. If you still want to keep trying things and still have the card, I will stand by my offer of limited help to assist with fzabkar, depending on how much time I can afford to spend on it. But understand, you are at the point of experimentation. And I am only offering help to assist fzabkar with his ideas, I am not offering continued direct help as I do not have the time.

@fzabkar
If bunty wants to continue, I am willing to help some with hddsupertool scripting if needed. And by help I mean I will assist you, not write all the code myself.

PostPosted: June 10th, 2017, 1:49 

Hi maximus
Thanks for all the efforts. Like I said I am not comfortable with command line work & will not be able to do anything myself.
I have still kept both images and card is also with me. If someone is keen to dig deeper , I can give remote access to both .
Thanks.

PostPosted: August 12th, 2017, 8:50 

Hi Maximus & fzabkar
There is update to this case , Can you pls.PM your email ID ? I want to share some information.
Thanks.

PostPosted: August 12th, 2017, 10:18 

bunty wrote:
Hi Maximus & fzabkar
There is update to this case , Can you pls.PM your email ID ? I want to share some information.
Thanks.

Can't you just post the update ? I'm also interested to know !!!

PostPosted: August 15th, 2017, 6:29 

Hi Spildit
Yes I will share it with you , can you pls.PM your email ID? Since both Maximus and Fzbkar were actively involved and know this case , I want to update them.
Thanks.

PostPosted: August 15th, 2017, 12:36 

bunty wrote:
Hi Spildit
Yes I will share it with you , can you pls.PM your email ID? Since both Maximus and Fzbkar were actively involved and know this case , I want to update them.
Thanks.

Done !

:D :D :D