All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cloning Tool
PostPosted: May 20th, 2017, 7:45 

Hi all
Cloning tool is discussed many times .I know various GNU freewares like ddrescue are available.
But I am looking for a commercial Linux based tool having live USB bootable option. I tried Parted Magic but it is having clonezilla freeware version.
I want a robust tool with professional features like reverse cloning , bad sector skip function etc.
I am having various dos based tools like HDD Duplicator (full final version with power control module) , Prosoft & other . But due to Dos limitations these tools have become obsolete .

I am willing to purchase the same. Can anyone suggest a pro. tool.
Thanks,

Post subject: Re: Cloning Tool
PostPosted: May 20th, 2017, 8:36 

I don't think there is anything quite like you're describing. There are hardware imaging tools such as DeepSpar Disk Imager which has it's own DOS based booted software and does all that.

As to software only versions, your best bet is to stick with a Linux live USB and free software like ddrescue or hddsuperclone. I do know that hddsuperclone's developer is working on a professional version which will be a paid program, but it's not out yet and I don't think it'll be a self bootable image. It'll likely still run in Linux.

PostPosted: May 20th, 2017, 9:17 

Hi Jared
Thanks for your advice. Actually I do have PC3000 UDMA and other hardware cloning tools.
Currently I am working on a 64GB memory card. In windows it is not getting detected. However In my dos based cloning softwares I can even clone in reverse .
Unfortunately cloning is not successful though I could image 97% in reverse.
I thought this could be the issue with dos based tools (HDD Duplicator is having this type of issue). So I am looking for a professional Linux based tool to clone this card. I tried Parted Magic ,but it is not up to the mark.
I don't want GNU free tools as they are often having bugs and lack professional features.
Like you said , I will have to use some forensic Linux based Live cd/USB.

PostPosted: May 20th, 2017, 11:12 

Then in this case you would do chip off recovery. look up tools like VNR from Rusolut. PC3K Flash version is more suited than UDMA. IMHO you are using the wrong tool for the job.

PostPosted: May 20th, 2017, 11:42 

Generally these types of cases come once in a year.Spending for chip off tools is not worth. (Like spending $10000 and earning $100) .Its not practical solution.Day by day as monolithics and BGA chips have become standard success will be very less. Chip off is suitable for large DR lab having lots of $$ and manpower. Absolutely not worth to think peoples like me who operate as one man army. I have successfully solved such cases previously , like I said those tools have become obsolete.Why to spend $10000 if you could do the same task for $100.
Hope you will understand.

PostPosted: May 23rd, 2017, 20:19 

data-medics wrote:
I don't think there is anything quite like you're describing. There are hardware imaging tools such as DeepSpar Disk Imager which has it's own DOS based booted software and does all that.

As to software only versions, your best bet is to stick with a Linux live USB and free software like ddrescue or hddsuperclone. I do know that hddsuperclone's developer is working on a professional version which will be a paid program, but it's not out yet and I don't think it'll be a self bootable image. It'll likely still run in Linux.

I would just like to add a few things to this comment. Hddsuperclone does come as a live CD (which also includes ddrescue), which can easily be converted to a live USB with a few popular tools. But it is more designed for conventional hard drives. That is not saying that it can't clone a memory card, because in the default SCSI passthrough mode it very much can do that. It could possibly be marginally better than ddrescue due to the passthrough and the fact that it checks for status after every failed read, but it is totally uncertain if that applies to memory cards the same as hard drives.

Quote:
I don't want GNU free tools as they are often having bugs and lack professional features.

Gnuddescue is the most popular software only cloning tool for failing hard drives for a reason: it performs. Its biggest limitation is that it uses generic read calls and is unable to determine any information about read errors. Hddsuperclone takes that to the next level with the SCSI passthrough which can get more information. But to say that they often have bugs and lack professional features does not seem accurate to me. Gnuddrescue has many advanced options, and if you cannot see that then it is because you are not comfortable with the command line.

PostPosted: May 25th, 2017, 2:02 

Hi maximus
Thanks a lot for your help.
Yes you are right , I am not conversant with Terminal and certainly don't want to take any risk (inadvertently selected source /destination )
I have tried hddsuperclone but its paid version is not yet released .
There is one advanced cloning tool with all professional features .I am willing to spend money for such tools than trying freeware .
Unfortunately developer is not responding.

PostPosted: May 25th, 2017, 13:02 

Hello Bunty ,
The Most Suited Tool for This Job Would Me PC 3000 Flash With SD/Micro SD Card Adapter .You Can Do All Sort of Crazy Stuff With This Combo

Website-> http://www.chandigarhdatarecovery.com

PostPosted: May 25th, 2017, 17:29 

bunty wrote:
Hi maximus
Yes you are right , I am not conversant with Terminal and certainly don't want to take any risk (inadvertently selected source /destination )
There is one advanced cloning tool with all professional features .I am willing to spend money for such tools than trying freeware .

The paid version of hddsuperclone will actually not help you at all with memory cards. It is designed for PATA and SATA connected drives. I don't have a bad memory card here, but I do have one that has issues with the connections (have to get it just right in the slot). During one test it showed up, but all reads returned as media error. To me that is not a very positive result, likely because it is relying on the OS driver to do the work and not reporting back correctly. So I guess that I can't really recommend hddsuperclone for memory cards. I am not sure if any other software only tool would be better in that respect or not, so I cannot say if other software would actually be better either. As stated, this would be much better with real hardware meant to recover flash.

I am curious as to what other advanced cloning tool you are referring to?

PostPosted: May 26th, 2017, 2:30 

Thanks amarbir
Yes the best option is acelab PC-USB PWR adapter. I have ordered it but haven't got adapter yet. So doing experimentation.

PostPosted: May 26th, 2017, 2:31 

maximus wrote:
bunty wrote:
Hi maximus

The paid version of hddsuperclone will actually not help you at all with memory cards. It is designed for PATA and SATA connected drives. I don't have a bad memory card here, but I do have one that has issues with the connections (have to get it just right in the slot). During one test it showed up, but all reads returned as media error. To me that is not a very positive result, likely because it is relying on the OS driver to do the work and not reporting back correctly. So I guess that I can't really recommend hddsuperclone for memory cards. I am not sure if any other software only tool would be better in that respect or not, so I cannot say if other software would actually be better either. As stated, this would be much better with real hardware meant to recover flash.

I am curious as to what other advanced cloning tool you are referring to?

Hi maximus Thanks for your help.
I have sent PM to you.

PostPosted: May 27th, 2017, 16:51 

I am also.

PostPosted: May 27th, 2017, 17:41 

I don't know why bunty did not openly post the advanced cloning tool info here, but sent the info to me in pm. I don't see any reason that it could not be posted openly. But I will say that it is nothing spectacular at all, it is basically like ddrescue, ddrescue is likely better, it is a marketing gimmick. But because it is in a foreign language that ddrescue is not native, it can possibly sell in that country. If bunty would be willing to openly post what it is here, others could verify my assessment.

PostPosted: May 28th, 2017, 2:20 

Hi Thank you all for your valuable input.
Yes I am relying on the fact that Japanese are trustworthy than others (here I don't want to hurt any nation). They will not intentionally cheat. ( Toyota has far less recall than competitiors)
Japanese are famous for there quality as well.
I am hopeful that product is as described . I totally agree marketing hype is involved with every product.
Take example of Forensic hard disk cloning / imaging tool ( costing US$ 5000 to US$ 10000)
Everyone from following list has claimed there product is worlds most advanced and only of its kind. They advertise unmatched features . but in truth they don't deliver .
http://www.media-clone.net/SuperImager- ... 40-10c.htm

https://www.logicube.com/shop/falcon/?v=c86ee0d9d7ed ---------- claimed to image at 30GB /min.

https://www.perlustro.com/solutions/e-f ... s/iximager
IXImager is the world’s smallest and fastest-booting forensics image and analysis system in a microkernel package, which runs from thumb drives, CD-ROM, flash media or serves as the entire operating system for other processes.

This revolutionary product captures and authenticates computer system data by physically booting the device and reconstructing the Filesystem and RAID block storage systems on any Windows or Linux system and most other hardware devices.
Certified by NIST as THE STANDARD among all other tools
•Only forensic imaging tool in existence that exceeds NIST Test Criteria
•Only forensic imaging tool in existence that made 100% on the NIST CFTT Certification Tests, the most stringent test existing at any Federal Level
•Only forensic imaging tool used by NIST to test over 20 (all to date) write block devices, establishing itself as the NIST standard.
•Only forensic tool in existence that does NOT require a physical writeblock device for forensics imaging

The only non-Windows tool in existence to have 100% full kernel mode NTFS write support

The only tool in existence to identify AND image hidden drive areas
•Able to image all accessible disk sectors when Host Protected Areas (HPA) are present (when accessing drives directly via IDE and/or SATA)
•Able to image all accessible disk sectors when Device Configuration Overlays (DCO) are present (when accessing drives directly via IDE and/or SATA).
•Automatically access DCO space on a Device-ONLY Tool in existence
•Automatically access embedded DCO HPA combinations or in combination with each other on a device – ONLY tool in existence

Only tool that exists to correctly process anomalies and media-bad sectors
•Creates bad sector mapping sub-containers complemented by ILook’s Authentication Standard
•Authenticated digital evidence container production – only tool in existence to create tamper

PostPosted: May 28th, 2017, 7:59 

Am I mistaken here, or did the OP just waste our time asking questions only to end by SPAMMING IXImager?

I think we all took the bait.

PostPosted: May 28th, 2017, 8:02 

When I say it is a marketing gimmick, I say that because it does not look like it does anything more that ddrescue, which is a free tool. But then ddrescue has long been considered the best software only cloning tool, so my comparing it to ddrescue is not such a bad thing. Maybe it is better (I claim my skipping algorithm is better than ddrescue, especially with the default settings). I did not see any crazy claims like in the list you just posted, so I am not saying that it is not trustworthy. I am sure the software does exactly what it says it can do, (at least until, like any software only tool, it hits the point where a hardware tool is required).

Whether is it better than ddrescue or not does not affect the marketing. Ddrescue is written in English, and it is a command line tool. That makes it very difficult for someone that speaks a different language to operate it (have also seen this posted about hddsuperclone in a non-english forum). The tool you are talking about is also command line (they don't show it on the site but I found a video). I would not be able to operate that unless it had English support. So producing such a tool in the native language makes it marketable.

Now if someone would only write a GUI version of a tool like this, and include the ability for multilingual support... :roll: :wink: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: May 28th, 2017, 8:05 

data-medics wrote:
Am I mistaken here, or did the OP just waste our time asking questions only to end by SPAMMING IXImager?

I think we all took the bait.

No, he was stating that the claims of such software he listed in that post were false and untrustworthy. It was meant to be an example of extreme marketing, the misleading kind of marketing.

Edit: Just to be clear, the tool in discussion in my previous post is totally different than what was mentioned in that list. It has not been named yet in this thread, only in PM. I am not sure why the OP has not named it publicly, but I will leave that up to him.

Last edited by maximus on May 28th, 2017, 8:14, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May 28th, 2017, 8:08 

IMHO this tool isnt going to help with the Flash job you described.

PostPosted: May 28th, 2017, 9:39 

Jared
You have loaded guns too early . I have nothing to do with softwares mentioned in thread . By looking at the thread its clear I am not sales representative of any software. like You I own a DR company. I am wondering how you conclude so much early. A DR pro. needs patience . Ha Ha Ha.
Maximus is right & he knows my point . Pls. note I have mentioned 3 softwares just to prove my point that vendors make tall claim.I have also mentioned logicube forensic falcon has claimed cloning speed of 30GB/S. Now do you think I am sales guy of both competitor products at the same time?
Who will keep such person on job who advertise competition. Hope point is clear to you.
About the software. Developer has not openly advertised and is not willing to sell it internationally reasons best known to them only.
Software is claimed to use proprietary algoritham and some of the features like Skip /Jump sectors , Retry no. of times ( no free software has this features). It supports USB and Raid. Pls.correct me if I am wrong.
A commercial paid software is always good as developer can make continuous development and give active support. Free softwares may have bugs and no technical support.
Reason I have not mentioned name of the software is I have not personally tested it , only when I am confidendant , I can say something about the product.
I have sent PM to all who were interested.
If by chance I got it , then I will make full review by doing extensive testing.
Thank you all.

PostPosted: May 28th, 2017, 10:16 

bunty, I might have missed it, have you settled on one or two cloning tools that will work flawlessly on the equipment you have?