All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Toshiba Canvio Slim II Issue
PostPosted: May 31st, 2017, 18:47 

Hey Guys,

Noob here, apologize in advance. After searching the threads i decided to post finally to be 100% sure of my DIY theory.

I have the Toshiba Canvio Slim II and had the HDD plugged into my phone and the phone died dropping power. Then i dropped it from 3 ft right after that...

Now it spins up with no audible issues except that it keeps flashing led and when plugged in to PC. It seems like it has some sort of affect on laptop (everything is slowed, virtual disk service wont even load...). I tried using USB 3.0 cable and USBmicro 2.0 cable as well with no luck. Im wondering if its a power related issue that is causing chaos with PC processor as well when plugged in.

I just purchased a new PCB: MQ01UBD100. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/USB-3-0 ... 76641.html
I hope using aliexpress wasnt a bad call since i coulfnt find it anywhere else.
After reading a few threads fzabkar said that the old ROM chip will need to be put on the new PCB to get it to work with old drive (assuming the IC602 on mine).

1 - I read somewhere that a category 3 PCB needs to be sent to Data Recovery Place for "free adaptation service" since the ROM is embedded in PCB. Is this true? If so questions below negated.
3 - If the aliexpress PCB is no good, can i purchase a new Canvio Slim II of Amazon and gut that?
3 - Assuming this method is feasible, can i use a heat gun to unsolder the IC602 and then resolder onto new PCB?

I attached a picture of drive MN/SN for reference.

Attachments:
File comment: DRIVE INFO
WP_20170531_002.jpg
WP_20170531_002.jpg [ 306.28 KiB | Viewed 3221 times ]

Post subject: Re: Toshiba Canvio Slim II Issue
PostPosted: June 1st, 2017, 15:24 

To change PCB you will need to transfer IC602 but it's 99.9% certain you're wasting your time. This won't be a PCB issue given the symptoms and what led up to the failure (I.e. dropped)

New!! HDD-PCB.COM for all your PCB and donor HDD requirements!