All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: "Diagnostic Port Locked" ST5000DM000
PostPosted: June 22nd, 2017, 17:24 

data-medics wrote:
quote="data-medics"]
data-medics wrote:
Wouldn't the data recovery community be a better place if people actually shared their knowledge with each other?

You really think that Seagate keeps 100% separation of their manufacturing and data recovery businesses? If you believe that I've got a bridge I want to sell you.

Jared, I don't believe it. I know for a Fact!!

Last edited by hdd_sand on June 22nd, 2017, 17:25, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2017, 17:25 

BGman wrote:
Doomer wrote:
It means that you are useful to nobody since you know everything.... :D

I don't know everything
I'm willing to trade unlock for Crawford for either one of these:
1. How to unlock WD Arch7 drives
2. How to build a loader on HGST CCB

data-medics wrote:
Then I could be researching something else, instead of trying to re-invent something that someone else already knows, and then I could be sharing that information with the community.

I'm sure this proposal should spark interest in you.

PostPosted: June 23rd, 2017, 6:20 

Doomer wrote:
data-medics wrote:
Wouldn't the data recovery community be a better place if people actually shared their knowledge with each other?

Most people who want the knowledge(that they don't know) to be shared cannot give anything to the sharing person in return
Only a few people can be useful to each other and those people already sharing, just not with everybody

Sad, but true. In the old days, you could use a productive time of corresponding person. For example, you have a knowledge (and documentation, of course), and there is a lot of different operations that you can't cover by you time table. So you give some part of research, for testing, that will not give all knowledge to this person, but give results for you, cause you have complete vision of situation/research. Of course, it is not popualar for a long time since there are a lot of cases a lack of information. And still currently, some persons who helping remotely to some "trustful" partners are faked/deceived as well.

PostPosted: June 23rd, 2017, 7:38 

My all friend So Sorry to late comment

Actually my Keyboard is Got problem .. In my keyboard Caps lock button is Stuck now :;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Solution I change My Keyboard :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: June 23rd, 2017, 16:36 

data-medics wrote:

We'd all be having 20-30% better success rates and making more money, with less wasted time on R&D, if we just shared what we know with each other. But, a few people always want to horde what they figure out to themselves (such as how to unlock these) hoping that someone will be willing to pay their $5000 rate to unlock it for you. I've personally just decided to not acknowledge these guys. I won't even recommend a customer to them if I believe they have the solution (often these guys are just lying and saying they have a solution when they really don't).

Do you have a list of other businesses that share their knowledge? I bet its not a long list.

If you think people do not spend 2k or more on a recovery, how do Ontrack stay in business ? and why on earth would anybody want to enable their competitors so they can push your prices down ? If you want the solution, research it. Pepe, Doomer and I can do it, and a couple of others that I know of.

https://www.mjm.co.uk/

PostPosted: June 23rd, 2017, 18:20 

Hy i guess (IMO,) many of yours except Doomer, pepe, scratchy and a big list.. are not understanding what does DR is... if u dont know in the old days ( before start the commercial software able to work with SA ) for example the oldest Fujitsu Drive´s like MPG and another families suffer for firmware problems and on that years u cant browse on google to find for tools able to work with that , i know many people spend a lot of bucks from his pockets only to buy expensive equipment´s only to decode the ATA commands, and get Vendor tracks, and make programs to be able to work with that ,and on that years u dont find any " free " solution" afaik , and do u think they will be able to " share it " that knowlegment on that years ? No, by that reason on that years u will be quoted with a lot of money more than this years and u can said , its too expensive, but u dont have idea what does they cost to get that solution !

So u are planing people who spend a lot of Money , knowledment and so get the solution for free or by share something ?

PostPosted: June 23rd, 2017, 18:39 

scratchy wrote:
If you think people do not spend 2k or more on a recovery, how do Ontrack stay in business ?

I know there are people willing to pay these prices, but they're about 1% of the total cases out there. They're the same 1% of people who'd probably opt to send their drive to a place charging that much even if other companies could do it for 1/4 that cost.

I'm not saying that research isn't worth anything, it certainly is. But, I also think there is a culture of price gouging in this industry whenever you know something others haven't figured out yet. At least be willing to sell what you know to other companies, or turn it into a service you offer at a rate others can afford to use and still turn a profit in the end. Heck, make a program that can do it and charge for the unlocks by a pay-per-unlock token system.

Anyway, I've caught wind that Ace has already cracked unlocking these drives, so it's just a matter of time before that gravy train ends. I've got a few customers that I've told to just hold off and wait for recovery, and that's what they're doing.

Hopefully, they're working on the F3 ROM issue as well. I know enough people have requested it.

PostPosted: June 24th, 2017, 4:07 

scratchy wrote:

If you think people do not spend 2k or more on a recovery, how do Ontrack stay in business ?

Really interesting question. Having an ordinary/mediocre service, strange branch policy, and such prices they shouldn't have it. Only one thing they do well is the advertisment, probably, there is the key.

PostPosted: June 24th, 2017, 4:15 

data-medics wrote:
scratchy wrote:

I know there are people willing to pay these prices, but they're about 1% of the total cases out there. They're the same 1% of people who'd probably opt to send their drive to a place charging that much even if other companies could do it for 1/4 that cost.

I'm not saying that research isn't worth anything, it certainly is. But, I also think there is a culture of price gouging in this industry whenever you know something others haven't figured out yet. At least be willing to sell what you know to other companies, or turn it into a service you offer at a rate others can afford to use and still turn a profit in the end. Heck, make a program that can do it and charge for the unlocks by a pay-per-unlock token system.

Anyway, I've caught wind that Ace has already cracked unlocking these drives, so it's just a matter of time before that gravy train ends. I've got a few customers that I've told to just hold off and wait for recovery, and that's what they're doing.

Hopefully, they're working on the F3 ROM issue as well. I know enough people have requested it.

Of course these problems and others will be overcome eventually. Did you happen to tell your customers that there are companies that can fix problems with these drives, or is this where your sharing information ends ?

PostPosted: June 24th, 2017, 4:22 

Martin wrote:
scratchy wrote:

Really interesting question. Having an ordinary/mediocre service, strange branch policy, and such prices they shouldn't have it. Only one thing they do well is the advertisment, probably, there is the key.

They have, lets say, an 'Interesting' pricing system'

PostPosted: June 24th, 2017, 4:27 

Quote:

The rom recovery is a bit more complicated than unlocking. It even seems not economically possible on some new families.
Ace will not add support for rom rebuilding as it is not easy to automate, even if they knew how to start off with it.
If you know enough people, you may refer them to me, older families are no problem (Bogart, Brinks, Cameron, Casey, Crocket, Desaru, some grenadas, Hepburn, Holiday, Julius1, Kahuna, MantaRay, Marina, Moose, MuskiePlus, Pharaoh, Sapta15, Wyatt, Yarra1D) .
Anyway, the question remains: do you tell your clients there is solution for their drives??

pepe

PostPosted: June 24th, 2017, 8:22 

pepe wrote:
Quote:
Anyway, the question remains: do you tell your clients there is solution for their drives??

pepe

I do. I also tell them how badly they can expect to charged for the service. So far, none of my clients have opted to take that route.

I realize that rebuilding an F3 ROM is far more complicated than unlocking a drive. And I do understand why that service has to cost more. My gripe is more related to those unwilling to share the unlock procedure, which is what this thread was originally about. Something that actually requires a serious investment of time on each case obviously is worth more.

PostPosted: June 24th, 2017, 9:23 

scratchy wrote:
Martin wrote:
scratchy wrote:

They have, lets say, an 'Interesting' pricing system'

If exclude an amount of money, what is the features? :)

PostPosted: June 24th, 2017, 9:28 

data-medics wrote:
pepe wrote:
Quote:

pepe

I do. I also tell them how badly they can expect to charged for the service. So far, none of my clients have opted to take that route.

I realize that rebuilding an F3 ROM is far more complicated than unlocking a drive. And I do understand why that service has to cost more. My gripe is more related to those unwilling to share the unlock procedure, which is what this thread was originally about. Something that actually requires a serious investment of time on each case obviously is worth more.

So how much are you telling them that they should expect to pay ?

PostPosted: June 24th, 2017, 12:33 

My gripe is more related to those unwilling to share the unlock procedure, which is what this thread was originally about. Something that actually requires a serious investment of time on each case obviously is worth more.[/quote]

its the same like why people who are getting access to SSD based on SandForce encryption are not sharing how does they are doing that ?

PostPosted: June 24th, 2017, 16:40 

beto wrote:
its the same like why people who are getting access to SSD based on SandForce encryption are not sharing how does they are doing that ?

According to drivesavers advertising
Quote:
Through a special agreement with SandForce, DriveSavers is authorized and recommended to perform data recovery on SandForce data storage devices

Sounds like they've been given the information on this by Sandforce directly. So they probably have a legal agreement to not share it.

PostPosted: June 25th, 2017, 16:31 

Sandforce encryption for some controllers was hacked some years ago.

http://techreport.com/news/23096/256-bi ... ontrollers

Keep up

PostPosted: July 24th, 2017, 9:27 

So it looks like Ace just released an update that can now unlock more of these "Diagnostic Port Locked" Seagate drives.

Time to pay them for an update and get what no one was willing to share. Too bad for those guys who already knew how to do this, a week ago I'd have gladly paid $1,500 to anyone willing to share their technique to do this manually. Now, I'm paying that to Ace for the upgrade.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2017, 9:31 

scratchy wrote:
Sandforce encryption for some controllers was hacked some years ago.

http://techreport.com/news/23096/256-bi ... ontrollers

Keep up

That article is only regarding the controller running 128-bit AES ecnryption instead of the advertised 256-bit required for "top secret" government data. Nothing there suggested they had "hacked' the encryption, just that it wasn't up to advertised standard. Brute forcing 128-bit will still take a long time running powerful equipment.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2017, 10:16 

data-medics wrote:
So it looks like Ace just released an update that can now unlock more of these "Diagnostic Port Locked" Seagate drives.

Time to pay them for an update and get what no one was willing to share. Too bad for those guys who already knew how to do this, a week ago I'd have gladly paid $1,500 to anyone willing to share their technique to do this manually. Now, I'm paying that to Ace for the upgrade.

Jared ,
Me Too Joining The Club And Updating ASAP

Website-> http://www.chandigarhdatarecovery.com