All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help with WD Scorpion Blue hard drive
PostPosted: April 2nd, 2018, 15:30 

Hello!

I have been trying to run a hard drive, but my pc does not read it at all. When its connected, it make a "click" sound a couple of time, and then its start and do the sound on the pc when something its conected, but does not appear in This PC, and in computer management appears like an "unknown disk, not initialized and unallocated".

I dont know exactly whats the problem, if is software or hardware, i have been reading some problems and maybe is the click sound, that the header (or reader) its not locating the data in the platter, im not sure.

I had clean the pins of the logic card, but still nothing.

It is possibly to rescue the data?

Attachments:
disk.png
disk.png [ 202.75 KiB | Viewed 9487 times ]

Post subject: Re: Help with WD Scorpion Blue hard drive
PostPosted: April 2nd, 2018, 15:31 

Does it “click” a couple of times and then stop spinning (silent)?

New!! HDD-PCB.COM for all your PCB and donor HDD requirements!

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2018, 15:42 

Yes, thats when the pc does the sound of read, and the led of the sata cable turns on

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2018, 15:50 

Sounds like you need professional recovery. Unless you've got tools like PC-3000 handy, you're not going to be able to do much yourself.

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2018, 16:05 

Drive has physical issues, bad heads at least.

As data-medics says, nothing you can do yourself.

You’ll only make matters worse by continuing to make it click.

New!! HDD-PCB.COM for all your PCB and donor HDD requirements!

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2018, 16:17 

Thats bad news.

Well, i leave here a video of my hdd with the "click" sound

https://vimeo.com/262871498

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2018, 20:26 

Unless a sound sample is provided, it's hard to say for sure what you mean by “clicking”. Even a healthy drive can make “click” sounds sometimes.

If the data is important to you, and you have the means, by all means, bring the drive to a data recovery expert in your area (or in the USA, might be easier to find a reputable one with cheaper prices, I don't know, maybe someone here can give you a few specific names).

If the data is definitely not worth to you the typically hefty price of a professional recovery, and/or you simply don't have the money, since the drive seems to be still recognized with its correct size (2TB, right ?), you may have a shot at imaging it with ddrescue or HDDSuperClone on a Linux live system (others might disagree on this, and they might be right, I'm still far from the “DR pro” level, take what I say with a whole bag of salt).
But it might not work at all if the drive is indeed having a mechanical failure, and you may damage it further with each attempt ; even if it does work there's the risk that it could fail for good (or “for bad” rather) in the process, and the total recovery ratio may end up far worse than what a professional could have obtained (even if you do bring the drive to a data recovery laboratory at that point, because more damage has been done).
But if you're very lucky you may get a high percentage of your files for free.
But if you've never done anything like this before and never even heard of anything I just wrote, it's going to be very tricky anyway, and it's easy to screw it up beyond repair if you type the wrong command (typically if you reverse the input and output drive names).

If you're aware of the risks, and are still willing to try something by yourself, the first thing to do would be to setup a system with a live Linux USB drive or memory card (the one designed by the author of HDDSuperClone is ideal for that purpose, as it's lightweight, based on Lubuntu, can run on an older machine, you only need a 1GB device to store it, and it includes both ddrescue and HDDSuperClone), then install GSmartControl, then plug an empty drive with at least the same size as the faulty one (if it does work you want to be ready to “make it talk” as those may be its last words ever), but do not plug your faulty drive yet ; ideally, you should plug another known working drive to run tests (if it does work you want to know what you're doing in order to do it right and right away), a smaller one preferably. List the drives (“lsblk” command in the terminal), note which is which, make a wish to the witch, try to image the test drive with ddrescue, with HDDSuperClone, see which one feels the most comfortable (HDDSuperClone is supposedly better optimized for some particular kinds of failures but I find the GUI interface a bit confusing, haven't tested it in CLI mode), play with the commands, read a bunch of guides about those tools, go back to testing...
Once you feel approximately confident, after about three sleepless nights and a couple tubes of paracetamol, take a nap, then a deep breath, make a prayer (it doesn't serve any actual purpose but it calms you down ! :)), then, and only then, plug the damn faulty drive... List the drives again : if the faulty drive appears in the list, you can proceed ; if not, unplug it right away, nothing more you can do, you're only going to damage it if you insist and not recover one bit.
Now check what GSmartControl has to say about it... if you're lucky, the drive is recognized with its correct name and size, but has bad blocks, maybe a few hundreds, that would be enough to make it misbehave quite badly (check the “reallocated sector count” and “pending sector count” in particular, although other fields might be relevant in assessing the kind of failure) ; if it's more than 1000 you're in for a lotta trouble but it might still be doable... Then note the name of the empty drive, and the name of the faulty drive (which you should have done each time before running a test), double check, triple check, then if it's not done already mount a partition on the empty drive (for example /media/sdb1), and then run the cloning or imaging command. If you're lucky, it will do its trick until the end, although it might be a long process ; but there might be issues along the way, the drive could disconnect itself, in which case you would have to restart it manually, so stay around, better do that on a weekend or vacation...
If you make it that far, the hardest and riskiest part is done – pat yourself on the back with one hand, while slapping your face with the other for not having made a proper backup ! :)
Then scan the clone or image with a good data recovery software, compared to what is described above that part should be easy...

Again, if the data is valuable, and if you have no idea of how to perform each step, better seek the help of someone with the required knowledge and skills and equipment.

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2018, 21:14 

That's bad news..

I had tray to post the link of the video of my hdd with the click sound, but its need the aprove of the moderator.

I have not try anything of the ddrescue, but i will try it, what i have do is checking the hdd in a linux system, but it does not appear..

Other thing i saw was the header got stuck and do some sound, so i remove the cover to check, but it was not stucked, instead i see a very little of dust in the platter, i dont know of much it can afect that, but i dont want to try remove it.

Oh! And the space of the disk, thats strange, the disk capacity is 250gb, and in the computer management says it was 250gb, no 2tb, thats new.

Thanks for all the responses!

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2018, 21:19 

abolibibelot wrote:
since the drive seems to be still recognized with its correct size (2TB, right ?),

No, A 2TB HDD is (normally) shown in Windows OS, as (approximately) 1862.65GB (which is actually 1862.65GiB)
The OPs HDD shows 2048.00GB

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2018, 1:01 

Quote:
No, A 2TB HDD is (normally) shown in Windows OS, as (approximately) 1862.65GB (which is actually 1862.65GiB)
The OPs HDD shows 2048.00GB

Indeed, I didn't think twice about it, thought maybe it could be displayed differently with newer versions or something... (I barely used Windows 8-10, which broke many things that didn't need to be fixed, so changing the size display in the “Disk manager” could have been among them. On a Linux OS the size display is different – and actually accurate with regards to the GB/GiB abbreviations.)
Any reason why it would display 2048GB then ?

Quote:
Other thing i saw was the header got stuck and do some sound, so i remove the cover to check, but it was not stucked, instead i see a very little of dust in the platter, i dont know of much it can afect that, but i dont want to try remove it.

But now it's f***ed anyway... :( So much for trying to put disclaimers upon disclaimers, and losing some precious time trying to provide potentially useful but potentially hazardous advice, taking utmost care not to make someone attempt foolish things, when the basics are so poorly understood... It's like having someone ask how to react after their son got accused of shoplifting, trying to come up with an intricate point by point approach to address the issue with psychology, on the off chance that it may be just a misunderstanding – and then the dude tells you : ”great! I just cut off his right hand and locked him in a closet, I'll try psychology tomorrow!”
I guess that you see quite a few cases like this around here, and get used to it after a while... Maybe you see them coming from a mile away ! :)

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2018, 5:14 

Judging by the sound and your story, I'd rather state the obvious here: your drive is FUBAR.

IDK the original state of the drive, but now the heads are gone, most probably you're having to deal with media damage as well and the fact that you've opened it in an uncontrolled environment has degraded it further by contaminating it. :(

If the data is important, DO NOT POWER IT UP AGAIN and consult a decent pro.
It won't be cheap either.