All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WD10JMVW can read firmware but no user area access
PostPosted: June 11th, 2017, 1:39 

I have a WD10JMVW-11AJGS4 which will identify and read SMART ok, but there's no user area access. Scanning programs just run through all sectors failing quickly like the translator isn't working.

In WDMarvell I could not access any firmware through USB, must have SA lock. Using a cloned SATA board, I used the changing regions with the head contacts insulated method to then load a donor loader overlay, change regions back in RAM, load donor DIR in RAM and get access to the firmware. I can then read all modules and there doesn't seem to be any issues. From this point if I hit soft reset, the drive identifies normally at full capacity and user area access is restored. All heads are reading ok. I have used this method to clone the drive, however the data is encrypted.

In WDMarvell heads>config it shows the drive is Self Encrypting. So when I load the overlay somehow this restores user area access but disables the SED encryption, so all I can see is encrypted data.

In WDMarvell I can write modules using copy 1, but not copy 0. in WDR write heads test gives errors. So it seems that maybe the failed write head or heads is stopping the translator from initialising. I can get user area access by loading the loader overlay, but that disables the SED functionality so all I get is encrypted data. I've tried running the original version of Reallymine on the encrypted clone, but it can't find the key sector.

Any ideas on what I could do from here? Is there a chance the newer version of Reallymine could handle this type of encryption done within the firmware? I couldn't work out the commands to use it properly so haven't been able to try yet.
If I could edit the headsmap in RAM I think the translator would initialise, but I only seem to be able to do that after an overlay is loaded, and that disables the encryption so back to square one.

Thanks to fzabkar and Spildit for helping me get this far.

Any advice appreciated

Post subject: Re: WD10JMVW can read firmware but no user area access
PostPosted: June 11th, 2017, 21:25 

In order to regain user area access after loading loader, changing regions back in RAM and loading DIR in RAM, I have to press soft reset. At that point it seems to initialise the translator, but also the SA lock comes back into place and I can't access anything (including RAM) through WDMarvell. So even if I could find and edit config in RAM before resetting, it seems that it's reading config off the platters upon reset, so having edited config just before in RAM probably wouldn't help?
I'll try to download teamviewer and get that working.

Post subject: Re: WD10JMVW can read firmware but no user area access
PostPosted: June 12th, 2017, 4:03 

Perhaps if we moved the copy of the SA off Head 0 using WDMarvell, we could edit config, disable SED and SA lock, then when we edited config in RAM after loading loader we could turn back on SED. Do you think that might work? It may require head 0 to write in order to move it though.