Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

TVS Diode location on Toshiba Canvio PCB G3448A

June 30th, 2017, 9:54

Hi,

I have a power dead Toshiba Canvio 1TB external drive and was hoping someone could point out the location on the PCB of the TVS diode (fuse) so I could short it and get my data back.

Here is the PCB reference
http://www.dawntech.cc/index.php?route= ... ct_id=1163

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Pat.

Re: TVS Diode location on Toshiba Canvio PCB G3448A

June 30th, 2017, 20:41

Take some measurements first.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35348

BTW, a TVS diode is not a fuse.

July 1st, 2017, 1:38

Many thanks,

I've just come across hddparts and will use their service.

Pat.

July 1st, 2017, 3:58

You know a board swap won't work

July 1st, 2017, 10:28

Yes thanks but they will also transfer IC602 for me, I will send them the old board.

Pat.

July 1st, 2017, 10:53

This model drive rarely has PCB problems. Are you sure it is a PCB problem? Many people just assume it is.

July 1st, 2017, 13:12

labtech wrote:This model drive rarely has PCB problems. Are you sure it is a PCB problem? Many people just assume it is.

+1, +1, +1 to this. USB native drives very rarely ever have PCB issues. 99.9% chance the issue is internal. Probably bad heads, G-List damage, etc.

July 1st, 2017, 13:22

Sorry lads, but read my OP its power dead. The LED doesn't light when connected so its deffo a pcb issue.

July 10th, 2017, 14:47

Perl_tester wrote:Sorry lads, but read my OP its power dead. The LED doesn't light when connected so its deffo a pcb issue.

We read OPs all the time and more than 90% of the time it is not a PCB issue despite people saying the "drive is dead". A drive being dead is a very vague statement.

Does the drive spin up when connecting to computer?

July 10th, 2017, 15:58

labtech wrote:
Perl_tester wrote:Sorry lads, but read my OP its power dead. The LED doesn't light when connected so its deffo a pcb issue.

We read OPs all the time ...

Does the drive spin up when connecting to computer?

Well, the drive is a USB model (as per the OP), so it derives its power from the USB port ...

July 19th, 2017, 15:47

Thanks all, and sorry for not getting back sooner.

To finish the story it was a dead PCB in the end. I shipped the old USB3 PCB to the guys in hdd-parts.com. DHL from the Netherlands to Canada cost 75 Euros and took 5 working days. Jason at hdd-parts.com was very helpful and for 50 dollars Canadian provided a replacement SATA PCB AND transferred the bios chip from the old board to the new. Then 30 dollars Canadian to ship it back the the Netherlands which was OVERNIGHT (DHL could learn a thing or two from https://www.purolator.com). I put the new PCB on the platter and hooked it up to my PC and was delighted to see it come alive! Immediately performing a backup to the NAS!!!

Thats it. Again thanks to the forums here for pointing me in the right direction and very happy with the outcome.

Pat.

July 19th, 2017, 18:20

Thanks for the feedback. Your experience demonstrates the value of measurements. ;-|

July 20th, 2017, 8:53

For all that money in parts and shipping hiring somebody local and support the local economy would have been a better choice. It is just a matter of communicating clearly what you expect from the service.
But happy ending is always good either way.
Post a reply