All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Overvolted external hdd, removed TVS diodes, no change
PostPosted: July 17th, 2017, 19:49 

fzakbar, thanks for clarifying! I'm learning from you and many others in here :)

PostPosted: August 1st, 2017, 13:44 

Data retrieved! :D Thank you all so much for your help! Sorry for the long break before getting back to y'all. Vacation and personal things have kept me away.

Turns out the drive is completely readable internally. As some background, the first thing I did after overvolting the drive was to try to hook it up to my PC internally, and the computer wouldn't start. I When I hit the power button, absolutely nothing happened, I'm assuming because of the TVS diodes had blown. Then, it seems that the USB-SATA bridge failure (thank you for noticing, rogfanther) wouldn't let me power the drive up externally.

So in the end, all I needed to do was drop it into my PC after clipping the TVS diodes, and now it works.

I was under the impression (as most of you were) that my PC wouldn't be able to read the drive, but I didn't have to use any software or anything. Just booted the computer, and I see the drive sitting there in 'This PC' with the data all there and readable. If this is unique among external hard drives, it seems this is a major selling point for the Seagate Backup Plus Desktop Drive (Model #SRD00F2).

So I'm transferring data at this moment. I've learned a few lessons from this whole ordeal. Again, thanks for your help and input! :D :D

PostPosted: August 1st, 2017, 17:11 

idoneeffedup wrote:
I was under the impression (as most of you were) that my PC wouldn't be able to read the drive, but I didn't have to use any software or anything. Just booted the computer, and I see the drive sitting there in 'This PC' with the data all there and readable.

That's good to know. Thanks for your feedback, and congratulations.