All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SeaGate Drive Emitting Sounds and Malfunctioning
PostPosted: July 17th, 2017, 14:29 

A SeaGate hard drive which I am using works well but sometimes emits short bleeping sounds. The sound resembles the warning sound of the mainboards in some computers. When the drive bleeps, it begins to malfunction, because the system displays a message saying that the system will restart due to some error. The bottom central part of the drive is so hot that one cannot hold it with one’s finger. I do not know whether this is a normal temperature for that part of the drive.

I have run an extended diagnostics of the drive with Sea Tools but no errors were found.

Do you know what may be the reason for the bleeping sound and subsequent malfunctioning?

Post subject: Re: SeaGate Drive Emitting Sounds and Malfunctioning
PostPosted: July 17th, 2017, 14:50 

Vlad wrote:
A SeaGate hard drive which I am using works well but sometimes emits short bleeping sounds. The sound resembles the warning sound of the mainboards in some computers. When the drive bleeps, it begins to malfunction, because the system displays a message saying that the system will restart due to some error. The bottom central part of the drive is so hot that one cannot hold it with one’s finger. I do not know whether this is a normal temperature for that part of the drive.

I have run an extended diagnostics of the drive with Sea Tools but no errors were found.

Do you know what may be the reason for the bleeping sound and subsequent malfunctioning?

Well,
Is The Sound Like This " OoooooUuuuuuuuu" Again And again .If Yes Heads Are Stuck On Platter Or Motor is Jammed

Website-> http://www.chandigarhdatarecovery.com

PostPosted: July 17th, 2017, 17:01 

The sound is not very high as when something is being scratched but resembles the warning sound given by some mainboards.
The system block and its power adapter had some problems in the past, and a new adapter had to be installed. Perhaps too much electricity may be coming into the hard drive, since its temperature seems to be too high. I would like to know how to see the disk's temperature in Windows 10.

PostPosted: July 17th, 2017, 17:31 

Vlad wrote:
I would like to know how to see the disk's temperature in Windows 10.

Use a SMART tool such as CrystalDiskInfo.

http://crystalmark.info/software/Crysta ... dex-e.html

PostPosted: July 18th, 2017, 12:58 

The free program SpeedFan shows the following figures:
GPU: 65C
Temp1: 101C
Temp2: 86C
Temp3: 35C
HD0: 38C
HD1: 40C
Temp1: 40C

In the program window, there are fire signs beside GPU, Temp1, and Temp2. I do not know what components are referred to as Temp1, Temp2, and Temp3. 101C (213F) and 86C (186F) are very high temperatures.
Another window in the same program has the value of 105 beside the WDC drive, and 41 beside the SeaGate drive. Two drives are inside the system block.

The CrystalDiskInfo program, shows the value 41 at the top and in the table below as the temperature of the SeaGate drive, whereas it shows 38 at the top and 105 in the table below as the temperature of the WDC drive. The programs says that both drives are in a good state.

Do you know why both SpeedFan and CrystalDiskInfo show the temperature of the WDC drive to be 105, while CrystalDiskInfo also has another value of 38 in the below table as the temperature of the same drive? Is 105 a temperature value for an internal part of the drive which is much hotter than the external part?

PostPosted: July 18th, 2017, 14:09 

Spildit wrote:
It's not ctuck heads otherwise the drive wouldn't spin up again. Looks like something goes wrong and the drive start working again when the system re-starts.

Just backup all of your data now and assume that the drive will die for good on the next re-boot taking your data with it.

Also you should have backups anyway ...

Also make sure that the problem is with the hard drive and not with other system components like the power supply or even the motherboard.

Correct,
Did not read his initial post properly sorry

Website-> http://www.chandigarhdatarecovery.com

PostPosted: July 18th, 2017, 16:00 

@Vlad, please show us the CrystalDiskInfo SMART report.

SpeedFan is displaying the temperatures reported by the motherboard's hardware monitor IC. It has no way of knowing which temperature sensor is connected to a particular input of this IC. Instead you could observe the same information in BIOS or using the motherboard manufacturer's own tool.

PostPosted: July 19th, 2017, 12:44 

The two files attached below contain the reports for the two hard drives in the system block. The report for the WDC drive shows 37 degrees at the top but 106 in the table below.
The other two files contain the reports from SpeedFan.

Attachment:
CrystalDiskInfo SeaGate Drive Statistics.PNG
CrystalDiskInfo SeaGate Drive Statistics.PNG [ 1.43 MiB | Viewed 11070 times ]

Attachment:
CrystalDiskInfo WDC Drive Statistics.PNG
CrystalDiskInfo WDC Drive Statistics.PNG [ 1.3 MiB | Viewed 11070 times ]

Attachment:
SpeedFan Statistics.PNG
SpeedFan Statistics.PNG [ 93.35 KiB | Viewed 11070 times ]

Attachment:
SpeedFan Another Window.PNG
SpeedFan Another Window.PNG [ 66.2 KiB | Viewed 11070 times ]

PostPosted: July 19th, 2017, 16:22 

The Seagate SMART report shows a few Command Timeouts (0x42 = 66) but is otherwise clean. These timeouts could reflect the observed "bleeps". I would backup your data on a regular basis in any case.

The TEMPs are probably case and CPU temperatures, but you will need to go into BIOS setup to confirm this.

PostPosted: July 19th, 2017, 17:11 

Thank you for the explanation. The BIOS shows the CPU temperature to be 37 C.

Do you know why the SMART report for the WDC drive shows its temperature to be 106?

PostPosted: July 19th, 2017, 17:43 

The Current and Worst numbers are normalised values. The raw data are the actual temperatures.

For the WD HDD (attribute C2) ...

temperature = 0x25 (hex) = 37C (decimal)

http://www.google.com/search?q=0x25+in+decimal

The normalised value is a "health score". Since lower temperatures are better, the normalised value is presented in such a way that lower temps score higher than high temps.

normalised temp = 143C - raw temp

A value of 143 reflects and actual temp of 0C.

The Seagate HDD has two temperature attributes. In fact both use the same temperature sensor (probably located within the preamp on the headstack). In this case the normalised value of attribute C2 reflects the actual temperature (40C), while attribute BE (Airflow Temperature) is a health score.

normalised temp = 100C - raw temp

As you can see, the HDD manufacturers are free to define the SMART attributes any way they wish. In fact the definitions can, and often do, differ between firmware versions of the same model.

Seagate's raw temperature data record the max/min/current temperatures for the current power cycle.

Seagate SMART Attribute Specification:
http://t1.daumcdn.net/brunch/service/us ... EEQEbU.pdf

Normal SATA SMART Attribute Behavior (Seagate):
http://t1.daumcdn.net/brunch/service/us ... fiL4r0.pdf

I suspect that SpeedFan's Temp1 and Temp2 data may not be real. The I/O chip is an ITE IT8712F, so it would have 3 temperature inputs. The motherboard designer may not have implemented all 3 sensors. I would allow the machine to cool down overnight and then examine the temperatures immediately after a cold boot. If the temps remain unchanged over time, then I would discount them as bogus.

http://pdf.datasheetcatalog.com/datashe ... 234_DS.pdf

PostPosted: July 20th, 2017, 14:09 

Thank you for the information. The Temp values in SpeedFan are the same each time when the program is started.

The WDC drive appears to be in a good state with a low temperature.

Sometimes, when the SeaGate drive starts emitting a bleeping sound, the system encounters an error and has to restart.

One source says about the command timeouts: “This is a critical parameter. Degradation of this parameter may indicate serious problems with power supply or an oxidized data cable. Urgent data backup and hardware replacement is recommended.”
Another source states: “Normally this attribute value should be equal to zero and if the value is far above zero, then most likely there will be some serious problems with power supply or an oxidized data cable.”

If the command timeout number in the SeaGate drive is 66, will this affect the accuracy of copying data? For, example, if 10 GB of data are copied into the SeaGate drive, will all the bits be copied accurately?

What can be done to remove the problem with command timeouts?

PostPosted: July 20th, 2017, 16:23 

I doubt that the Command Timeouts are the result of power problems. Instead they most probably reflect difficulties with reading certain sectors. You could examine the SMART logs with a tool such smartctl (smartmontools). These logs may identify the problematic LBAs, if any.

Seagate's spec (see my previous post) states ...

Quote:
This attribute tracks the number of command timeouts as defined by an active command being interrupted by a HRESET and COMRESET or SRST or another command.

Your data indicate that the drive recorded 2 "commands with > 7.5 second completion".

0002 0002 0042

Quote:
Raw [1 - 0] = Total # of command timeouts, with Max hold of FFFFh
Raw [3 - 2] = Total # of commands with > 5 second completion, including those > 7.5 seconds
Raw [5 - 4] = Total # of commands with > 7.5 second completion

The Command Timeout attribute value is reset and recomputed after every 10,000 ATA commands. AISI, this means that the attribute may improve if problematic sectors are replaced with spares.

Quote:
The normalized value is only computed when the number of commands is in the range 10^3 to 10^4. The CommandCount and ErroCount are cleared when Number Of Commands reaches 10^4.

Edit: I would think that command timeouts should not affect data integrity as long as the system remains powered and the OS is aware of them.

PostPosted: July 21st, 2017, 13:45 

I have run the short generic, long generic, and SMART tests of the SeaGate drive with SeaTools and no errors were shown. If tests of some other kinds are needed, I may not be able to understand what their results in a log file mean. Perhaps there is some physical problem in the way the hard drive moves its internal parts or manages power, resulting in the system error.

PostPosted: September 15th, 2017, 19:36 

Vlad, sorry to hear you are having problems with your drive. If you haven't already, you can contact our global support team at http://www.seagate.com/support-home. Or, would you like someone from Seagate support to contact you directly?

Also, thanks to fzabkar. Solid troubleshooting!

PostPosted: September 16th, 2017, 2:43 

The SeaGate website shows that the warranty for that drive manufactured in 2013 has expired. I found out that there was a physical problem with some internal part of the drive. So I began using another drive.

PostPosted: September 16th, 2017, 13:22 

i would be more concerned about the seek error rate...

PostPosted: September 16th, 2017, 15:58 

pepe wrote:
i would be more concerned about the seek error rate...

The OP's drive has recorded 3 seek errors in 250 million seeks over a period of 8000 hours. Is any non-zero SER value a cause for concern, however small?

PostPosted: September 19th, 2017, 3:41 

what i saw is Current=79, Worst=60, Raw=0x003106AAFFE, which does not look like normal to me.

where did you get your numbers?

pepe

PostPosted: September 19th, 2017, 5:02 

pepe wrote:
what i saw is Current=79, Worst=60, Raw=0x003106AAFFE, which does not look like normal to me.

where did you get your numbers?

pepe

Those numbers look like any other Seagate drive, except for the 3 seek errors. Which numbers do you have an issue with?