All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seagate 4TB usb 3.0 external problems. Desperate.
PostPosted: July 21st, 2017, 0:22 

Hi everybody I am very new to the forum.

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to read my post and for allowing me to become a member. I have been pretty desperate with my current situation. I bought a brand-new Seagate 4TB usb 3.0 2.5” external drive. This drive was supposed to be my back up drive but unfortunately, I have data that is only stored there.
How did this happen: I was using my 2012 Mac Book Pro retina and something happened and the system crashed unexpectedly. Ever since when I mount the drive to the computer the system will ‘see it’ but when I click on it would load and load and load until it stops responding or coming up with a message that the drive is not accessible. I tried to mount it on a windows system (windows 7 and windows 10). On the Windows system, it would often ask me to scan and fix errors but when I selected this option it would be unsuccessful and I would get a message of either error or that it can not be completed. I tried many times to run checkdisk from the command prompt on windows but again no access to the drive. Same luck with the disk monitor system on Mac.
Since I do not want to give my drive to a data recovery service ( only because I have very confidential files in there ) I tried to use a recovery program called Stellar Phoenix Data recovery. Apparently from what I read I need to run the RAW scan. The problem is that I tried to scan the drive but the process is so slow that It took me about 2.5 days worth of scanning the sectors and still the process was at pretty much 1% ( the program reads sectors so it scanned something like 1 milion sectors out of 600 billion, so with this pace it would have taken me something like 300days. I was scared that the drive would fry.

I have also contacted Seagate and they told me to run some scans ( I could not be done) and after couple of emails they told me that my drive was gone.
Can anyone suggest a solution for either mac or windows? ( bear in mind that my windows laptop is very old)
Is there any trick to save the drive ? (put it in the freezer/ open it/ change casing)
When the drive failed it was a very very hot day (if that helps)
Thanks in advance.

George.

Post subject: Re: Seagate 4TB usb 3.0 external problems. Desperate.
PostPosted: July 21st, 2017, 9:24 

Probably dead, yes.

If it is out of warranty, you *could* remove it from the enclosure and try to connect it to a computer to see if it is correctly recognized. In the cance it is an usb pcb, you would still need to find a sata pcb and make the necessary adjustments.

Honestly, if you need the files, you would better send the drive to a recovery professional. If you don´t want to do that, maybe you could get in contact with fzakbar from this forum. He is in Australia too, and maybe he can help you.