Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

Re: momentus 5400.6 clicks after head replace

August 14th, 2017, 18:19

different resistance does not mean nothing.
different vendors build different preamps but pin functions are still the same, that's why same rom version can handle them.
I will not uncover the points where 'incompatibility' comes in, there are more than one.
But there are ways to overcome them most of the cases.

August 14th, 2017, 18:41

pepe wrote:different resistance does not mean nothing.
different vendors build different preamps but pin functions are still the same, that's why same rom version can handle them.
I will not uncover the points where 'incompatibility' comes in, there are more than one.
But there are ways to overcome them most of the cases.

Did you ever succeeded to use head donor from completely identical drives but different resistance pinout ?

August 14th, 2017, 18:48

And different I mean not few percent the cases I mentioned was hundreds of percent different .

August 14th, 2017, 18:48

probably, i did not bother with the pinout resistances, that's completely out of interest.
What's more important is preamp vendor and type. Donor MHAs normally clicking in the patient were reading fine after some magic.
Post a reply