All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: the new PC-USB-Terminal III adapter !!
PostPosted: July 24th, 2017, 8:42 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: October 30th, 2007, 17:58
Posts: 404
Location: Egypt
Folks ,
Any one know What is the the new PC-USB-Terminal III adapter - terminal frequencies: 3Mbaud, and 6Mbaud , that ACE lab mention in the new update details ?

_________________
Tawfeek Mokhtar
http://alsafwapc.net
Alsafwa Data Recovery.EGYPT


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: the new PC-USB-Terminal III adapter !!
PostPosted: July 24th, 2017, 10:21 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: August 15th, 2006, 3:01
Posts: 2294
Location: CDRLabs @ Chandigarh [ India ]
Tawfeek wrote:
Folks ,
Any one know What is the the new PC-USB-Terminal III adapter - terminal frequencies: 3Mbaud, and 6Mbaud , that ACE lab mention in the new update details ?


Well,
No Idea ,Might Be We Will Need To Email Them ,What a Blasting Update They Released Out Of the World Mind Blowing

_________________
Regards
Amarbir S Dhillon
CDRLabs Data Recovery - [ Chandigarh ,India ]
My Data Recovery Experiments - > https://www.facebook.com/chandigarhdatarecovery


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: the new PC-USB-Terminal III adapter !!
PostPosted: July 24th, 2017, 15:42 
Offline

Joined: March 14th, 2013, 19:15
Posts: 18
Location: Florida - USA
Amarbir,

You must get out more if this news is blowing your mind.

Honest question: How do you get any recovery work done when you are on all topics on all forums?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: the new PC-USB-Terminal III adapter !!
PostPosted: July 24th, 2017, 17:20 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: September 8th, 2009, 18:21
Posts: 9684
Location: Australia
Wow, it only took 10 years for AceLab to work out that a 3.3V LVTTL adapter (based around a CP2102 chip) isn't appropriate for 2.5V or 1.8V interfaces.

Prolific's PL2303HXD (Rev D) has been around since 2007.

https://www.silabs.com/documents/public ... cp2104.pdf (2Mbps, 1.8V)
http://www.prolific.com.tw/UserFiles/fi ... v1_4_4.pdf (6Mbps, 1.8V)

BTW, you can buy an adapter based on the PL2303HXD (Rev D) for US$2.

_________________
A backup a day keeps DR away.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: the new PC-USB-Terminal III adapter !!
PostPosted: July 24th, 2017, 17:39 
Offline

Joined: March 14th, 2013, 19:15
Posts: 18
Location: Florida - USA
I know, its nothing that special

Amarbir =


Attachments:
tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif
tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif [ 4.37 MiB | Viewed 1072 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: the new PC-USB-Terminal III adapter !!
PostPosted: July 24th, 2017, 19:20 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: August 15th, 2006, 3:01
Posts: 2294
Location: CDRLabs @ Chandigarh [ India ]
Well,
For You It Might Not Be Special But For Us Who Really Work And Were Fedup With The Inflow Of Rosewoods Its a Great Deal ,Not everyone Here Is Into Reverse Engineering And Developing Custom Solutions .If You Know How To Unlock All Seagate Drive Then Its Good For You Cos I Do Not Care a Bit Who You Are and What All You Know .I Just Know That This New Update Is Still Better Then All The DR Tools Out There .As Far As How i Get The Work Done If i Am All Over Is Simple Get a Ticket To India ,Head Straight To Chandigarh From Nation Capital ,Sit On The Office Chair ,Watch Me And My Team Work ,Understand How i Work Inspite of Being All Over "Although There Are Others Too But you Never Picked Them " . Then Getout And Head Back To Florida ,Its So Simple ....

PS : The Only thing I See You Doing Is Picking Up On Guys Like Me ,Jared And Nothing Constructive In This Forum .Go Take Some Rest .I and Tawfeek Are discussing About A Terminal Adapter .

For Frank ,
Frank Might Be That The Drives Are Not Able To Work And That High Speed But Now With These New Marvell Chips They Are ,Even In The MRT Ultra Tool Installation Videos I Made On My Youtube Channel i did Educate People That They Can Fetch Latest Drivers For The SI Labs USB To Serial Controllers From Silabs Website .Also IMHO Only FDTI ,Prolific ,Maxim And SI Labs Make The Vast Majority of These USB/Serial IC's

_________________
Regards
Amarbir S Dhillon
CDRLabs Data Recovery - [ Chandigarh ,India ]
My Data Recovery Experiments - > https://www.facebook.com/chandigarhdatarecovery


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: the new PC-USB-Terminal III adapter !!
PostPosted: July 24th, 2017, 19:59 
Offline

Joined: March 14th, 2013, 19:15
Posts: 18
Location: Florida - USA
Amarbir, I am not trying to pick on you. I only thought your excitement was amusing and i was only referring to the terminal adapter since thats what the topic of this forum was, not new ace update for rosewood. I apologize if i have upset you.

I spend many, many hours performing R&D and recovering data. If i spent as much time as you talking on DR forums with useless posts, i dont think i would solve as many problems (or maybe i would if i took the "ask everyone constantly for help" approach like i see so much from people). So this is why i ask you. Trust me i know that others like fzabkar and HaQue post alot, but they also provide lots of good bits of information and really try to help people with things like diagnosing circuits or providing documents/schematics (and i still often wonder how they get work done with as much help as they try to provide)

"PS: I and Tawfeek Are discussing About A Terminal Adapter"
No you are not. Tawfeek mentioned it and you wasted space in this forum by offering nothing new on it just adding that you yourself knew nothing. You not replying would have been just as helpful.

On a side note, i can not head back to Florida because i am already here now.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: the new PC-USB-Terminal III adapter !!
PostPosted: July 24th, 2017, 20:14 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: September 8th, 2009, 18:21
Posts: 9684
Location: Australia
Quote:
... and i still often wonder how they get work done ...

I'm retired.

Image

_________________
A backup a day keeps DR away.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: the new PC-USB-Terminal III adapter !!
PostPosted: July 24th, 2017, 20:17 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: August 15th, 2006, 3:01
Posts: 2294
Location: CDRLabs @ Chandigarh [ India ]
wksk wrote:
Amarbir, I am not trying to pick on you. I only thought your excitement was amusing and i was only referring to the terminal adapter since thats what the topic of this forum was, not new ace update for rosewood. I apologize if i have upset you.

I spend many, many hours performing R&D and recovering data. If i spent as much time as you talking on DR forums with useless posts, i dont think i would solve as many problems (or maybe i would if i took the "ask everyone constantly for help" approach like i see so much from people). So this is why i ask you. Trust me i know that others like fzabkar and HaQue post alot, but they also provide lots of good bits of information and really try to help people with things like diagnosing circuits or providing documents/schematics (and i still often wonder how they get work done with as much help as they try to provide)

"PS: I and Tawfeek Are discussing About A Terminal Adapter"
No you are not. Tawfeek mentioned it and you wasted space in this forum by offering nothing new on it just adding that you yourself knew nothing. You not replying would have been just as helpful.

On a side note, i can not head back to Florida because i am already here now.



Simple ,
Its your prospective not mine ,Secondly i do not like to share as much information as both of them you are referring to as i do this for a business and when i was learning no one taught me anything .Its because tawfeek mentioned it i came to know about it ,You rushed your comment because the discussion just started and i made some valid points to frank too would you mind leaving this topic and let me and tawfeek handle our discussion .

BTW : Frank Enjoys life he is retired .Here is one of my videos -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gsv04HB3xuQ

_________________
Regards
Amarbir S Dhillon
CDRLabs Data Recovery - [ Chandigarh ,India ]
My Data Recovery Experiments - > https://www.facebook.com/chandigarhdatarecovery


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: the new PC-USB-Terminal III adapter !!
PostPosted: July 24th, 2017, 20:22 
Offline

Joined: March 14th, 2013, 19:15
Posts: 18
Location: Florida - USA
fzabkar wrote:
Quote:
... and i still often wonder how they get work done ...

I'm retired.

Image


Ha well there you go, at least someone has an excuse :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: the new PC-USB-Terminal III adapter !!
PostPosted: July 24th, 2017, 20:40 
Offline

Joined: March 14th, 2013, 19:15
Posts: 18
Location: Florida - USA
Quote:
Simple ,
Its your prospective not mine ,Secondly i do not like to share as much information as both of them you are referring to as i do this for a business


That is exactly my point. How can you "do this for a business", yet outpost people who are retired and have all this free time?

Quote:
Its because tawfeek mentioned it i came to know about it ,You rushed your comment because the discussion just started and i made some valid points to frank too would you mind leaving this topic and let me and tawfeek handle our discussion .

BTW : Frank Enjoys life he is retired .Here is one of my videos -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gsv04HB3xuQ


Youre right, ill see myself out. Please continue your riveting conversation about this adapter which after 3 posts you still have not provided any details on other than talking about si and prolific drivers and plugging yourself with videos of what aces blog has already provided.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: the new PC-USB-Terminal III adapter !!
PostPosted: July 24th, 2017, 20:46 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: August 15th, 2006, 3:01
Posts: 2294
Location: CDRLabs @ Chandigarh [ India ]
wksk wrote:
Quote:
Simple ,
Its your prospective not mine ,Secondly i do not like to share as much information as both of them you are referring to as i do this for a business


That is exactly my point. How can you "do this for a business", yet outpost people who are retired and have all this free time?

Quote:
Its because tawfeek mentioned it i came to know about it ,You rushed your comment because the discussion just started and i made some valid points to frank too would you mind leaving this topic and let me and tawfeek handle our discussion .

BTW : Frank Enjoys life he is retired .Here is one of my videos -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gsv04HB3xuQ


Youre right, ill see myself out. Please continue your riveting conversation about this adapter which after 3 posts you still have not provided any details on other than talking about si and prolific drivers and plugging yourself with videos of what aces blog has already provided.


Well,
My video is on relo list not translator and its a live case recorded by my student that i posted ,SA was bad in relo module and no scope of transfer to another location man you come to conclusions so fast like a kid leave it am not wasting more time with you

_________________
Regards
Amarbir S Dhillon
CDRLabs Data Recovery - [ Chandigarh ,India ]
My Data Recovery Experiments - > https://www.facebook.com/chandigarhdatarecovery


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: the new PC-USB-Terminal III adapter !!
PostPosted: July 25th, 2017, 3:36 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: May 13th, 2010, 11:17
Posts: 2176
Location: Kuwait
Tawfeek wrote:
Folks ,
Any one know What is the the new PC-USB-Terminal III adapter - terminal frequencies: 3Mbaud, and 6Mbaud , that ACE lab mention in the new update details ?


3MB or 6 doesn`t matter a lot, am more in Stability rather than speed.

its like driving your car, you may choose between SAFE driving & FAST driving
:wink:

_________________
Kuwait Data Recovery - UNIX GTC
The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once. By: Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: the new PC-USB-Terminal III adapter !!
PostPosted: July 25th, 2017, 13:56 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: October 30th, 2007, 17:58
Posts: 404
Location: Egypt
Dear Amarbir, wksk, fzabkar and einstein9
I'm sure it's not personal at all . no hard feelings . it's just a discussion .

I just wanted to know how will it be " PC-USB-Terminal III adapter " . thanks mr. Frank to clear it abit .

Agree with mr .einstein9 about speed and Stability

I'm so sorry for you Mr. wksk and Mr. Amarbir for this misunderstanding because of my topic
thank you all ,,

_________________
Tawfeek Mokhtar
http://alsafwapc.net
Alsafwa Data Recovery.EGYPT


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: the new PC-USB-Terminal III adapter !!
PostPosted: July 25th, 2017, 15:26 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: September 8th, 2009, 18:21
Posts: 9684
Location: Australia
Tawfeek wrote:
I just wanted to know how will it be " PC-USB-Terminal III adapter " . thanks mr. Frank to clear it abit .

Please don't take my comments as gospel. I haven't seen a photo of the adapter. It could be that Ace are using a different chip. All I'm saying is that a suitable chip for HDD applications has been around for 10 years.

_________________
A backup a day keeps DR away.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: the new PC-USB-Terminal III adapter !!
PostPosted: July 25th, 2017, 16:04 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: September 8th, 2009, 18:21
Posts: 9684
Location: Australia
Here is one way to modify those $2 Prolific adapters:

Code:
            .--------------------------------------.
            |                                      |
            | .--------.                           '---o 3.3V
            | |  LDO   |                               o--------> VDD_325
  VO_33 o---+-|  reg   |-----+---------+-----------+---o 1.8V
              | LM1117 |     |         |           |     2.0V
              '--------'     |        .-.          |     2.5V
                  |          |        | |2.0V      |     spare
                  |          |        | | R2       |
                  |          |        '-'          |
                  |          |  R1     |   2.5V    |
                  |          |  ___    o    ___    |
                  |          '-|___|-o o o-|___|---+
                  |            1.8V   /o           |
                  |__________________/ |     R3    |
                  |                   .-.          |
                  |                   | |          |
                 .-.               R4 | | spare    |
                 | |                  '-'          |
                 | | R5                |           |
                 '-'                   '-----------'
                  |
                  |
                 ===
                 GND

These adapters typically connect the chip's internal 3.3V regulator (VO_33) to its I/O section, but the user can provide an external I/O supply via the VDD_325 pin.

The connections could be made with jumpers or with a double pole rotary switch.

_________________
A backup a day keeps DR away.


Last edited by fzabkar on July 25th, 2017, 16:04, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: the new PC-USB-Terminal III adapter !!
PostPosted: July 25th, 2017, 16:04 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: October 30th, 2007, 17:58
Posts: 404
Location: Egypt
fzabkar wrote:
Please don't take my comments as gospel. I haven't seen a photo of the adapter. It could be that Ace are using a different chip. All I'm saying is that a suitable chip for HDD applications has been around for 10 years.


I got your point ,, Some friends told me that it will not be available in 2017 from ACE . as you know ACE team is very self-restrained

_________________
Tawfeek Mokhtar
http://alsafwapc.net
Alsafwa Data Recovery.EGYPT


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: the new PC-USB-Terminal III adapter !!
PostPosted: July 25th, 2017, 17:49 
Offline

Joined: October 3rd, 2005, 0:40
Posts: 2571
Location: Hungary
Quote:
Wow, it only took 10 years for AceLab to work out that a 3.3V LVTTL adapter (based around a CP2102 chip) isn't appropriate for 2.5V or 1.8V interfaces.


the adapters coming with pc3k have level shifters, so it does work in a higher voltage range.

About the speed:
It was slow because of 2 causes:
1: their sw was badly written, it probably waited for too much chars in reply, so the ReadFile function had to time out between writing 2 values. If you checked the signal, it was very intermittent, about 1ms of inactivity between 2 written bytes. I told them years ago, maybe they fixed it finally.
2: Instead of using ascii communication there are quite a few binary protocols they could have been using (which they probably do now).

So 6Mbps looks amazing but it rises other issues with cabling and grounding, especially on low voltage interfaces.
+1 for Einstein, safety is more important than speed.

_________________
Adatmentés - Data recovery
No bitcoin donations :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: the new PC-USB-Terminal III adapter !!
PostPosted: July 25th, 2017, 18:07 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: September 8th, 2009, 18:21
Posts: 9684
Location: Australia
The CP2102 is rated for 1Mbps.

https://www.silabs.com/documents/public ... 2102-9.pdf

Isn't that what Ace/MRT/Salvation have been using?

How does Ace's level shifter adapt to the different levels? Does it simply use a comparator on the input and register a HI whenever the input goes above a fixed threshold (eg 1.2V)? Does it output 0 - 3.3V, irrespective of the actual input range of the HDD?

_________________
A backup a day keeps DR away.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: the new PC-USB-Terminal III adapter !!
PostPosted: October 11th, 2017, 16:53 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: September 8th, 2009, 18:21
Posts: 9684
Location: Australia
fzabkar wrote:
How does Ace's level shifter adapt to the different levels? Does it simply use a comparator on the input and register a HI whenever the input goes above a fixed threshold (eg 1.2V)? Does it output 0 - 3.3V, irrespective of the actual input range of the HDD?

The mystery is solved:

http://www.hddoracle.com/download/file.php?id=5551&mode=view

I was expecting special purpose level translator ICs, not ordinary inverter/buffers. :?

SN74AHC1G14, Texas Instruments, Single Schmitt-Trigger Inverter, marking A14S, SOT-23, 5-pin, 2V - 5.5V:
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/sn74ahc1g14.pdf

SN74AHC1G125, Texas Instruments, Single Bus Buffer Gate with 3-State Output, marking A253, SOT-23, 5-pin, 2V - 5.5V:
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/sn74ahc1g125.pdf

ISTM that the SN74AHC1G14 is an inappropriate choice, based on its relatively loose Vih and Vil specs.

_________________
A backup a day keeps DR away.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group