All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: *kinda urgent* swap bios on seagate 80gb pcb
PostPosted: August 7th, 2017, 10:13 

So I have an seagate ST380013AS 80gb and (please see att images) it fried out a chip onboard pcb. Unit was transfered from an old dell dimension to a dell optiplex 380 and booted up no problem. It was left on over night and I come into work this morning to find it bluescreened to 0x0F4 ... investigation led to discovering a catastrophic failure of one of the chips...

luckily I have one of these boards from a donor drive but I need to identify which is the bios chip. I think I have it narrowed down to chip id: E3P102 2515 or possibly 25P05AV - 9515m . I think it is the E3P102 - 2515 as these are the only 2 identical chips on both boards.
The board identifiers are exactly the same 100336321 REV: A although there is some slight differences in the chips used except the one mentioned

See attached images which shows the failure of the board from the original drive.

could someone confirm please that I am in the right direction? That Chip E3P102 is indeed the bios chip requiring transfer?

thnx in advance

Attachments:
IMG_3965.JPG
IMG_3965.JPG [ 1.97 MiB | Viewed 836 times ]
IMG_3965.JPG
IMG_3965.JPG [ 1.97 MiB | Viewed 836 times ]

Post subject: Re: *kinda urgent* swap bios on seagate 80gb pcb
PostPosted: August 7th, 2017, 10:27 

These pictures are exactly the same, no?

PostPosted: August 7th, 2017, 10:29 

HaQue wrote:
These pictures are exactly the same, no?

yes sorry I posted 2 but it seems to have repeated the second...attached the second there showing the full board...

Attachments:
IMG_3964.JPG
IMG_3964.JPG [ 2.15 MiB | Viewed 827 times ]

PostPosted: August 7th, 2017, 13:34 

This is a 7200.7 barracuda drive (ST-10) and it doesn't have adaptive information on the PCB ROM ....

All that you need is to place the compatible PCB on the drive and check it with terminal. If ROM is not compatible with APP code then drive will drop to F> but then you can check what version of ROM is needed and you can write that to the PCB by TTL (using some seagate firmware tools).

Also firmware version is written on drive label ....

PostPosted: August 7th, 2017, 15:36 

computek wrote:
... I need to identify which is the bios chip. I think I have it narrowed down to chip id: E3P102 2515 or possibly 25P05AV - 9515m . I think it is the E3P102 - 2515 as these are the only 2 identical chips on both boards.
The board identifiers are exactly the same 100336321 REV: A

The serial flash memory IC would be connected to the MCU, ergo it must be the "25P05AV".

The "E3P102" is connected to a coil, ergo it must be a power component.

"2515" and "9515m" appear to be YWW date codes, ie week 15 of 2005.

PostPosted: August 9th, 2017, 11:12 

Thanks for the help guys... I have the donor board fitted to the drive but when I try to access [using pc3000] the drive is clicking ... I have tried to connect via just the com port but not sure what to do here ...

If I swapped the 25P05AV over or do i need to re write the firmware? If the latter a little guidance on how? I take it by seagate tools you mean seagate tools within pc300/ or do they have there own tools?

FW version [original dr] 8.12
FW version [donor] 3.40

PostPosted: August 9th, 2017, 13:28 

Switch the "ROM" chip over and see what happens then.

PostPosted: August 9th, 2017, 14:39 

So .... you have a PC-3000.

Start by posting a terminal LOG of the drive. Power on the drive with TTL connected and post log.

If APP is not compatible with ROM drive should drop to F> and it should say something about app code not compatible with ROM like here :

http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php? ... =40#p11412

F>j
Application code incompatible with serial flash code

(on this case i "solved" it by writing correct ROM code - http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php? ... =80#p11442 )

On ST-10 drives like yours there are no adaptive on ROM. Just write correct ROM with PC-3000 for example.

But if the drive just clicks then most likely pre-amp is damaged or something like that. Because if the problem is just compatibility of ROM/APP code then drive should drop to F> instead of just clicking.

Check terminal message first.

PostPosted: August 9th, 2017, 14:41 

Safer option would be to WRITE correct ROM to donnor PCB by TTL.

PostPosted: August 13th, 2017, 12:29 

so managed to get back to this (my apologies been busy - one has to earn a living as well ^_^ )

So the log I have (see attached ) I think looks like you are saying that it dropping to F> - I'm hoping thats a good position to be in?

This would indicate that I require the correct firmware ? And I have one of two option - move the old ROM chip or write the firmware via TTL

moving the chip is likely the simpler option but I would like to know the latter option as well? I take it TTL is via the terminal/Com port connection? having never done this before I'd prefer not do it on a customer drive first time though I do have plenty of practice drives... I did see an option to read or write ROM when I was connected via com port - I take it that this would be the function I would use tow rite the replacement firmware?

Sorry for all the questions - its just I don't normally use the more advanced options and generally use it for data recovery on drives that can't be seen any more or have a lower level issues that are easily over come in the data recovery option.

thnx for all the help - very much appreciated :)

Attachments:
seagate13as.jpg
seagate13as.jpg [ 113.66 KiB | Viewed 552 times ]

PostPosted: August 13th, 2017, 12:59 

Hi there !!!

That Head Mask FFFF means that most likely pre-amp/heads are damaged and the drive would require a head stack replacement (using a clean room or laminar flow workbench).

The log doesn't show any messare saying that the APP code is incompatible with the ROM code so my take is that the drive can't even read the APP code on the drive because of bad heads.

You can move the ROM chip but most likely your will get vthe same clicking and HEAD MASK - FFFF message.

Try "R1" then "R2" and "R4" at level F> . Then try "j".

R1 will try to read the track defect list from platter. R2 reads start up adaptive data from platters and R4 reads the APP code from the platter. j starts the app code read with the R command.

When you issue the R command if all that you can see is HEAD MASK FFFF then heads are gone. Even if APP is not compatible with ROM you should be able to read adaptive data and track defect list. You should get a error message saying that app is not compatible with ROM when reading APP.

You can move ROM or you can write ROM by TTL (write correct version / same version that you have on old PCB) as PC-3000 can SDLD the new ROM at level F and write it.

On Seagate ST-10 you can even have a BAD ROM written to the PCB. If you short ROM chips pins to prevent ROM reading at boot the PCB will run from ineternal ROM and will allow you to flash ROM again at F> level so it's not the end of the world.

Start by testing R and j commands and remember they are case sensitive.

Then if all that you get is HEAD MASK - FFFF prepare yourself to swap heads.

If you are not confortable with writing ROM then just swap the ROM chip over. You will have to do so anyway even if you decide to swap heads as you don't want to re-programm correct version of ROM using PC-3000. If you feel more confortable swaping the chips do that as you will need it as the FW version of donor/patient is not the same.

Regards and good luck.

PostPosted: August 13th, 2017, 13:09 

Oh ....

By TTL i mean the COM port, of course.

Read this post :

http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php? ... =60#p11416

Also read here :

http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php? ... =80#p11468

ST COM tools have PROBLEMS to write ROM on Seagate ST-10 PCBS at level F> . Tools like PC-3000 are just ok.

This is what you do if you brick teh PCB by writting wrong ROM :

http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php? ... =80#p11471

And because the OP on this thread didn't have any better tool like PC-3000, SeDiv, MRT, HRT, etc .... He got stuck :

http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php? ... =80#p11484

And solve the "problem" with a chinese software to write ROM :

Attachment:
rb.jpg
rb.jpg [ 35.59 KiB | Viewed 546 times ]

At any rate if you have PC-3000 then there shouldn't be any problem in writting ROM on ST-10 at level F. Just read the PC-3000 Seagate 1 manual...

PostPosted: August 13th, 2017, 13:21 

Go to your Seagate_1_en.pdf manual and read page 37/38

More important read page 45 :

9.3.1 - Serial Flah data corruption.

9.4 Endless "Head Mask".

On the latest version of SeDiv (ST-10) the option to load/write ROM from F> by SDLD looks like this :

Attachment:
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 78.38 KiB | Viewed 544 times ]

On PC-3000 it will be like this :

Attachment:
2.jpg
2.jpg [ 38.1 KiB | Viewed 544 times ]

The idea is that you will need a ROM that matches the APP code on the platter (and that it's loaded at start up assuming the heads and pre-amp are ok).

Sometimes even if you hae diferent FW versions you might have the same ROM and that ROM might be compatible with the app code.

As your old PCB is burned and you can't read ROM the ideal way would be to get resources / backup from a firmware database for a drive ROM bin file of the same FW version as your damaged drive and write that by SDLD to the new PCB but of course you can move ROM chip and of course as well if the drive keeps on reporting just HEAD MASK then pre-amp/heads are toasted and i bet that on your case they really are !!!!