Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

Questions on Seagate 7200.11 refurbished recovery and donor

August 7th, 2017, 18:15

Hi all! Respectfully I want to ask if anyone can point me on the right direction: I have one Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31000340AS recertified. The PCB is dead and the disk doesn´t spin (TVS are both OK). I get a donor, same model, same firmware and nearly same date.

I want to know if I only need to swap firmware chip (Winbond) or if I need to do extra job. Also I have a doubt about which chip has the firmware. I also have PC3k available. I include photos here.

Thank you in advance.
Attachments
BOTH BAD AND DONOR DIFFERENT DATE CODES.png
firmware.png
BAD-DONOR-FRONT.png

Re: Questions on Seagate 7200.11 refurbished recovery and do

August 8th, 2017, 2:32

That's the right chip, and yes you 100% MUST switch this chip if the original PCB cannot be repaired by you.

August 8th, 2017, 5:03

be careful with the swap, if you damage that chip the recovery will be pretty costy...

August 9th, 2017, 2:32

pepe wrote:be careful with the swap, if you damage that chip the recovery will be pretty costy...

Very true, have seen a fair few "bodged" chip swaps which have proven to be very costly indeed :-(

August 14th, 2017, 19:24

Thank you very much for comments. Chip swap was successfully. I can see disk onto PC3k (wrong size). After load it on utility everything were OK and I can copy data. Best regards!
Post a reply