All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 6th, 2004, 11:27 

Hi there
I must say am little novice about some stuff (all the time learning and improving skills) so be polite :D

I've got two interestuing drives - one is Maxtor 90840D5 which reports as Maxtor A8 Pulsar 3,4GB and not 7,2GB. It is DSP chip.

Second is Seagate ST340810A which report at bios correct but states that its capacity is 20GB instead of bout 40GB.

I would be grateful for any clue on these two drives.
regards
Stars

Posted 6/12/2004, 18:29:

I forgot to mention - from Maxtor I want to extract data, Seagate just make work properly (its my friends and this happened when I was using it ;()

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 7th, 2004, 10:45 

check the HPA of the disc

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 8th, 2004, 5:47 

Well there is HPA but after NHPA I get info "Failed". I am talkin bout the Maxtor drive. Another thing is that serial number field is empty and drive model is Maxtor A8 Pulsar and not the real model so there is some firmware corruption. Problem is that I dont see any FM for 90840D5. Scan returns only IDNF. What can be the couse of keepeng HPA?
regards
Stars

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 8th, 2004, 9:09 

You could have head crash on the Maxtor drive, or som bad sectors on SA.
For seagate check NHPA in mhdd. I f you get something like "operation failed, try to restart hdd, realy power off/on , an then start mhdd and just/only execute NHPA. I've seen some drives that work this way.

VSD wrote:
Well there is HPA but after NHPA I get info "Failed". I am talkin bout the Maxtor drive. Another thing is that serial number field is empty and drive model is Maxtor A8 Pulsar and not the real model so there is some firmware corruption. Problem is that I dont see any FM for 90840D5. Scan returns only IDNF. What can be the couse of keepeng HPA?
regards
Stars

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 8th, 2004, 11:06 

Segate done - that was simple - somebody messed with jumpers and caused half capacity.

But maxtor is a problem - I've never dealt with A8 Pulsar - and defenetly it has some orruption in SA but what utlity is for this model? Where I can find some loaders, ram, modules for 90840D5? I would be rafull for eny info.
regards
Stars

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 8th, 2004, 14:45 

If NHPA says FAILED, just re-power HDD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 9th, 2004, 11:38 

Repowering is no good when drive has locked HPA and corrupted SA. I assume corruption couse I dont get drive Serial No in MHDD and scaning returns IDNF all the way. I think the drive is a crap and nothing usefull can be done to fix it.

Funny thing that I dont get much info on these family model. Is it that pulsars dont make any troubles or because it is old model. I wonder why there is no utility for pulsars...
Thanks for trying, regards
Stars