All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Another Apple Fusion Conundrum
PostPosted: August 8th, 2017, 16:57 

So I've got this apple fusion drive setup here that I'm recovering (HDD needed new heads but I managed to get a 99.9% clone). Unfortunately, I find out after recovering the HDD that the computer was brought to the "Genius Bar" and some "genius" there attempted to re-install the OS successfully overwriting the SSD.

Normally in such a case I'd just expect to get a RAW recovery from the HDD, but I notice that when I've scanned the data on the hard drive using various software it does find a fair bit of folder structure. The only issue is that nothing will open because it can't understand the filesystem offset, I presume, and it's trying to read data from all the wrong places.

I'm thinking of assembling the SSD and HDD into a fusion drive (manually so it doesn't format it) in hopes that the partition/logical volumes will at least be at the correct offsets to recover the folder structure that can be found.

Did anyone try something similar to this and have success? I just hate to spin my wheels here if it's a lost cause for some reason.

Post subject: Re: Another Apple Fusion Conundrum
PostPosted: August 11th, 2017, 8:05 

It wont help you anyhow.
Structures you found are just small snapshots which don't correspond of actual positions. Moreovere, SSD contained "map" of data clusters (could be 4Mb size or even less) . Data clusters were spreaded across both participants based on frequency of use.
There is even no chances to get relatively big files in RAW mode.