Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

Seagate ST1000DX001 - powers up but won't read.

August 21st, 2017, 13:23

Hi

This is a follow post to:
Western Digital WD10EARS-00VWB0 - DEAD/no signs of life
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35384

AND

Seagate ST1000DX001 - DEAD/no signs of life
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35384

First..... The Backstory, from the previous posts:
Both drives were connected to a semi-modular PSU. The PSU suffered a problem and 'died'; the PSU and only the PSU was changed for a new working one. The modular cables from the old PSU were left in place and when the NEW PSU was powered on, this is when the hard drives died; that's what I was told.
---------------------------

Seagate ST1000DX001 (1TB 3.5" SSHD)
=================================

New issues:
With significant help from fzabkar, I managed to narrow the fault to the 2x 0 Ohm resistors and the TVS diode on the 5V rail.

I subsequently replaced the 2x 0 Ohm resistors and the TVS diode on the 5V rail with new ones, which seemed to fix the problem. I connected the repaired drive to the computer, powered it up and it happily communicated with the PC and I was able to see data on the drive.

Forward to now, the drive is no longer accessible from the PC. The drive does not appear when i run "fdisk -l", and "smartctl -all /dev/sdg" fails.

I can feel that the drive is powering up and the platters spin, but I can't feel or hear any attempt to read from the platters.

I have Truncated and FULL DMESG logs, as they may give clues to someone.

I have checked the components I replaced and they test ok.

Can anyone help?

Is this drive toast or can it be fixed? If it can, is worth it?
Attachments
Seagate 1TB sshd - new issues - full dmesg log.txt
Full DMESG log
(7.16 KiB) Downloaded 800 times
Seagate 1TB sshd - new issues.txt
Truncated DMESG log
(687 Bytes) Downloaded 799 times
Post a reply