All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Bad blocks on Toshiba HDD & Win10 OS probs
PostPosted: September 7th, 2017, 2:43 

HaQue wrote:
Hi,
Great to see you got through all the advice and was able to follow it so well.

I would add one thing.

open a command prompt as administrator and do a windows file check : sfc /scannow you may need your OS media if it finds anything needed to repair.

Also if you are not running win10 creators update, I would upgrade to that, plus update to latest patches from windows update, or run the latest cumulative update from:

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=Update%20for%20Windows%2010%20Version%201703%20for%20x64-based%20Systems%20

click on "last updated" column header to sort by newest file and choose the latest version for your version.

If you are already running creators update, and it is x64, check version by right-clicking Start, choose Run and type "winver". As of now latest is 15063.540

The network I run has been the most stable it has ever been with this version, a mix of Surface pro4, Surface Pro 3, varios models of laptops, 4 different desktop versions. Harware between new and 8 years old, around 600 devices.

HaQue - Thanks for the suggestions. I actually did try running sfc /scannow 1st, and it failed at about 75% before running chkdsk. Glad you reminded me though. I'll run it again.

One of my PCs just got updated to Windows 10 Creator last week, and this notebook was reporting it had updates to install right when the drive started failing. I suspect those may have been Creator. I managed to shut the system down from the ctrl-alt-del menu and avoided the updates.

If Creator doesn't show up in the next week or so I'll take your advice and get it installed manually. I used to be picky about having MS notify me when Windows 7 updates were available so I could review them and choose whether of not to install them. But with the advent of Windows 10 I've just let the OS update itself automatically. Something all those businesses should have done before those 2 recent ransomware attacks.

PostPosted: September 7th, 2017, 6:37 

HaQue wrote:
Hi,
Great to see you got through all the advice and was able to follow it so well.

I would add one thing.

open a command prompt as administrator and do a windows file check : sfc /scannow you may need your OS media if it finds anything needed to repair.

HaQue: I ran sfc /scannow again and this time it did complete now that chkdsk had made repairs. But it reported:

Code:
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log.

The CBS.log is over 31000 lines and is a bit beyond me. Here's most of the error I can spot:

* 12 instances: .... - ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND
* 25 instances: xxxxxx - Couldn't mark for pending delete:
* Many: 0000xxxx - Error - Overlap: Duplicate ownership for directory
* Many: [Path to file] is not owned but specifies SDDL in component in component [Component]
* Very many: 0000xxxx Error - Overlap: Duplicate ownership for directory [Path to directory]
* Many: Cannot repair member file [File info] in the store, file is missing
* 4 instances: Could not reproject corrupted file [File info] source file in store is also corrupted
* Several: Warning - Overlap: Directory [Path] is owned twice or has its security set twice

In the past I've seen a lot of errors in the daily Windows system log file after booting other systems that I guess must be common as those systems were working fine. Maybe I'll see if someone in the 10 forums can have a look at this CBS.log tomorrow if no one here has input on this. But the Toshiba seems to be running fine from the testing I've done so far.

PostPosted: September 7th, 2017, 8:30 

I would get an ISO of 1703 and just go into windows and run setup.exe. This will upgrade windows and at the same time fix all the SFC errors.

after that I would also re-install any programs that are "serious" installs, such as photoshop-like applications.

I normally wipe the whole disk and re-install, after saving any data, but I have my disks setup so that it is fairly easy to do that (redirect desktop and special folders etc)

after you have installed windows, you can probably just wait and see if any applications play up, and deal with it then as your system will be stable.