All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hdd recover
PostPosted: October 29th, 2017, 17:52 

Hi everyone,

I own a 1TB WD blue HDD and i was messing today a bit with the storage spaces creation from windows and accidentally went a step to far which got my hdd data wiped out somehow in a blink of an eye :(.
Now i am trying to recover the partitions (had one with 300GB and one with the rest) , but don't know which should be the best approach...
*should i first re-partition the hdd ? If i do this ...a format will be requested and then i will definitely lose the data from the hdd (or will i?)
*i find the data from the hdd with recovery software, but it seems i will need another 1tb hdd to recover it to...isn't there a way to recover the partitions directly ?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

B.

Post subject: Re: Hdd recover
PostPosted: October 29th, 2017, 19:55 

you will loose your data if you reformat your hard drive.

your best bet is to recovery the partition that you deleted

free program highly recommend is

http://www.minitool.com/free-tools/mini ... overy.html

PostPosted: October 30th, 2017, 14:47 

Get another drive and recover data by using R-Studio.
Do not apply any further changes or any writing process on lost data drive.

PostPosted: October 30th, 2017, 16:41 

Before recovering data of your drive it is recommended to make an image of your drive. Clone it with ddrescue first. You could be tempted to make some changes to the drive that make recovery difficult or impossible when you work on your "patient".

PostPosted: October 30th, 2017, 17:05 

Well guys thanks for the tips, i didn't copy anything hence i knew it will damage the data...what i did was a combination of software.
1. I used the soft recommended by craig and managed to recover both partitions. But sadly only one of them full (was the most important one anyway)
2. For the 2nd partition, which was recovered as free space with 1st software i had to use easeus data recovery which recovered my data aprox 90% directly on the partition.

In the end..operation successful , thanks guys :)

PostPosted: October 30th, 2017, 18:11 

The safest way is to first clone the disk to another one just to be sure.

If you want to dismiss caution and risk your data, then a program called Testdisk could be of of help.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download

PostPosted: October 30th, 2017, 18:39 

Can you see your data with DMDE?

https://dmde.com/

Can you show us DMDE's partitions window?

PostPosted: October 30th, 2017, 18:44 

I've had success with recovering partitions using Partition Find and Mount http://findandmount.com/

Sadly it seems dev is halted on it, but it is made by Atola developer/s... Smart guys.

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2017, 1:39 

BenDataRecovery wrote:
Before recovering data of your drive it is recommended to make an image of your drive. Clone it with ddrescue first. You could be tempted to make some changes to the drive that make recovery difficult or impossible when you work on your "patient".

Why use ddrescue for a purely logical issue ? There are Windows cloning tools which can work just fine in a case like this, aren't there ?

Quote:
The safest way is to first clone the disk to another one just to be sure.
If you want to dismiss caution and risk your data, then a program called Testdisk could be of of help.
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download

Actually you can make the clone with TestDisk itself... no need to run into the hassle of setting up a Linux system just for doing this, which is only a logical mishap.

Quote:
Well guys thanks for the tips, i didn't copy anything hence i knew it will damage the data...what i did was a combination of software.
1. I used the soft recommended by craig and managed to recover both partitions. But sadly only one of them full (was the most important one anyway)
2. For the 2nd partition, which was recovered as free space with 1st software i had to use easeus data recovery which recovered my data aprox 90% directly on the partition.

If it's not too late you can check that hard drive with R-Studio, which is probably better that Easeus Data Recovery (I haven't tried that one recently, but I find R-Studio very reliable, especially in situations of lost or formatted partitions).