Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

Weird issue with WD10jmvw-11ajgs4 - user data is now encrypt

November 16th, 2017, 12:06

All,
I have the above mentioned drive and was able to get about 1/3 of user data through USB interface. After a head swap and USB to SATA conversion with ROM transfer the user data appears to be encrypted. I don't see see a Initio or Symwave chip on the USB PCB, but there is an IC present on the PCB that I can't identify that may be doing encryption/decryption. Can anyone verify if there is another chip maker out there that does encryption/decryption?

Also, the drive is now identifying with a different SN after I converted USB to SATA. What could be causing this?

Pesky

Re: Weird issue with WD10jmvw-11ajgs4 - user data is now enc

November 16th, 2017, 14:09

PeskyBit wrote:All,
I have the above mentioned drive and was able to get about 1/3 of user data through USB interface. After a head swap and USB to SATA conversion with ROM transfer the user data appears to be encrypted. I don't see see a Initio or Symwave chip on the USB PCB, but there is an IC present on the PCB that I can't identify that may be doing encryption/decryption. Can anyone verify if there is another chip maker out there that does encryption/decryption?

Also, the drive is now identifying with a different SN after I converted USB to SATA. What could be causing this?

Pesky

Well,
SED " Self Encrypting Drive " . You need pro tools to handle it or there is a chap on forum who has made a software to decrypt a image .You can image the entire drive and then Decrypt it

November 16th, 2017, 18:02

After you change the heads, why don´t you continue with the recovery through usb, if that interface is working and the problem was just heads ? Then you would not have problem with encryption

November 17th, 2017, 2:11

PeskyBit wrote: I don't see see a Initio or Symwave chip on the USB PCB, but there is an IC present on the PCB that I can't identify that may be doing encryption/decryption. Can anyone verify if there is another chip maker out there that does encryption/decryption?

Usually for FBlite it's JMicron. You will see JMS markings on the chip.

November 17th, 2017, 2:50

Deleted
Post a reply