Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

LaCie ¿Raid 0? Weird issue

November 20th, 2017, 6:19

Hello everybody. I'm a newcomer looking for some help.

I have a USB 2.0 4Tb LaCie Porsche Design external drive.
Recently it dissapeared from the PC (I use W10) so I opened the enclosure and put the disc in another dock thinking in some sort of problem from the enclosure itself.

And using Active Recovery tools to look around it results that now I have TWO DISCS ¿?

So my only idea is that inside a unique HDD there are in fact two using (I suposse) RAID 0 to give me the look of a 4Tb drive.

The thing is I cannot recover any of my data and I don´t know how to recover the Raid configuration.

In fact, I really don't know WTF happened and I'm not sure why now I have TWO UNITS (not partitions or volumes, I mean two separate units in a single HDD)

Do you people have any idea.

Thanks in advance. I´m really lost (like all my data there)

Re: LaCie ¿Raid 0? Weird issue

November 20th, 2017, 7:09

can you post some pictures? such as enclosure model label, internal hard disk and label, and drive PCB. Also screenshots of what makes you think it is 2 separate disks

November 20th, 2017, 7:16

HaQue wrote:can you post some pictures? such as enclosure model label, internal hard disk and label, and drive PCB. Also screenshots of what makes you think it is 2 separate disks

I'm at work right now but I'll post some pictures later in the day. Thanks for answering.

November 20th, 2017, 8:09

its Hardware Raid 0 picture is below, Data Recovery is possible ..........
Attachments
StorageRev-ew-Seagate-Backup-Plus-Fast-Portable-Inside.jpg

November 20th, 2017, 8:46

strange thing. I thought he said he took the internal drive out to put in another PC, that's why I discounted such a setup.
Aint storage fun? :-)

November 20th, 2017, 10:58

Its really weird. I don’t know if its posible to have two separate arrays of discs or whatever inside one physical drive. For some reason my pc doesn’t recognize more than 2tb for this specific Device. I have another one working without problems with 5Tb.

It was a only 4tb volume but now the system reads two volumes, like two different physical drives.
Its obvious something went wrong with, I assume, the firmware or whatever was working there makin posible the 4tb storage. Now, because some manufacturer (seagate) has tricky ways to sell 4Tb devices including some sort of “patch” for them to work properly, I have those two different volumes... with more than 3,5tb of my data splitted between them.
Attachments
78CB123C-4EF6-44B2-85D6-5081D6EF2F29.jpeg

November 20th, 2017, 11:33

necrorider wrote:I have TWO UNITS (not partitions or volumes, I mean two separate units in a single HDD)

there are no two drives, only one (ST4000DM000-1CD168), the problem is in the disk partitioning type, which is correct for the SATA-USB bridge but not for your PC.

November 20th, 2017, 16:38

@necrorider, could you show us DMDE's Partitions window?

https://dmde.com/

November 20th, 2017, 17:14

Necrorider,

Could you post a picture of the drive you got out from the enclosure?

You seem to be connecting it to the computer through usb, isn´t it ?

November 20th, 2017, 17:40

might be a 4Kn exposed to 512e ?

November 20th, 2017, 18:23

Some enclosures accommodate 2TiB+ drives by increasing the sector size to 4096. Others (eg Verbatim) present the drive as two "virtual" physical drives.

November 20th, 2017, 22:14

It is probably a spanned disk and might even be setup via mac os, rather than hardware.

November 28th, 2017, 5:45

did you manage to resolve this issue?
Post a reply