Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

MQ01UBD100 massive bad sectors

December 11th, 2017, 3:27

Hi,
currently I'm on an expedition in Asia and one of my drives I backup my photos and videos on failed. Well, a failing drive is nothing new, exactly for this reason I always copy my data to two HDs. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I realized, that there are bad sectors on the drive and ran
sudo badblocks -v -w /dev/sdb > badblocks.txt
to get an idea. Well, I aborted the experiment after having a badblocks.txt greater than 100k - and this was after 2% of the whole drive. At that point I was about to dispose the drive and simply replace it, but the fact, that inside the box was not a common SATA HD but a "USB only" HD caught my attention. This was new to me and I started research. It did not take long, then I stumbled over this page. Reading here was very interesting. I have done quite crazy hardware mods in the past, so I'm familiar with SMD (de)soldering or dumping/writing images out of/into ROMs. Unfortunately I will not be able to do anything, while I'm on the road (due to the lack of equipment), but my question would be: Should I keep the (currently useless, though) defective HD and experiment with it when back (about one year)?
My estimation is, due to the great environmental stress (high temperature differences between -3 and 53°C when stored and about 15 to 35°C when on; high humidity), the surface of the HD has a problem (details see attached file).
Disk:
Toshiba MQ01UBD100
REV: AZA AA00/AX001U
DATE: 14APR2016
S/N: 46DT06AT 4GE HDKBD45AYA31 T
Greetings,
Martin
Attachments
badblocks.txt
Output of badblocks
(116.35 KiB) Downloaded 769 times

Re: MQ01UBD100 massive bad sectors

December 12th, 2017, 2:48

Sounds like a job for HDDSuperClone:
http://www.sdcomputingservice.com/hddsuperclone

You could try improving your chances for recovery by disabling ARRE with the "SP" command.

Toshiba Terminal :
http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=751

Re: MQ01UBD100 massive bad sectors

December 12th, 2017, 3:50

I just realised that the "-w" option is a write-mode test.

BTW, I believe your drive is an Advanced Format model, in which case I would have chosen a block size of 4096 bytes (default = 1024) to match the physical sector size.
Post a reply