All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Newbie - circuit board for Seagate Barracuda ST3320620AS
PostPosted: December 13th, 2017, 8:48 

bbass wrote:
Hi there,

Complete beginnner here...

He (and I) have used a external SATA bay via USB to try and read the contents. It doesn't work but the disk does appear to be spinning.

Thanks

Maybe we are going to far.
Answare this. If the HDD spinning -do you hear any strange sounds like clicking. If not ? Is the disk reporting in the computer bios.

PostPosted: December 13th, 2017, 11:02 

Quote:
Info from the donor PCB board:

White sticker:
100436228 F 7739UDAZ

Big square chip:
V520AA

So, you mean that also patient pcb (broken/lost pcb) has the followings?
White sticker: 100436228
MCU: V520AA

If your donor pcb has same sticker and MCU code of patient pcb, then you just need to flash donor rom by downloading somewhere same rom code of your patient drive, or swap the rom chip by using hot air soldering station.

You don't need sediv if you first don't find ROM resourse from same identical hard drive as your.
Also, sediv is expensive, in your case i would outsource patient pcb to someone that can do this job for you al low price or do it by your own by using TTL adapter + chineseware as STcom
http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?p=2875#p2875

Or, just wait that you receive identical donor pcb from identical drive as your and hope that it has same rom version
Quote:
Thanks for the info on firmware and the links. I'm still confused though - they don't seem to match my model number. Does this matter?. Also, for the links to 3.AAE if the donor board is already running 3.AAK, isn;t this better?

As already standed Spildit, you don't necessary need to match model drive to make match ROM.
Problem is that would be much more tough to find a matching rom if you don't get an identical drive.

PostPosted: December 13th, 2017, 11:41 

Can you post pic of patient pcb?
Maybe you can fix it by replacing TVS diodes, that would be much more easy (just need soldering iron).
Of course that would help you only if problem is shorted TVS, if something else is burned/shorted, then only way to get back data is by replacing PCB.

PostPosted: December 13th, 2017, 16:29 

AIUI, the OP does not have the original PCB.

PostPosted: December 13th, 2017, 17:06 

fzabkar wrote:
AIUI, the OP does not have the original PCB.

Ahh ok, i've missed that info.

PostPosted: December 14th, 2017, 4:18 

Hi,

COD - the HDD doesn't show in BIOS. The disk spins continously and there is a single clicking noise when it first fires up.

Thanks

PostPosted: December 14th, 2017, 4:42 

OK. So the Rom do not match. If I ware You I go to find the electronic board matching FW model and P/N . It is the simplest way.
If it do not help:
If You have some soldering skils (I use hot air for job like this) buy an programer and try to upload to rom all what You find on forum and try it. I use EZP2010 and the SO8 socket (~40USD + shipping ). Buying a Sediv or other pro software is not good idea in this situation. Chipest way is to otsorce this job to profesional who know what to do.
Attached electronic seagate board that should be like Yours.
You can also find the board from hier capacity HDD but in my opinion F/W should match.
You can find how to program chip on Youtube.

Attachments:
seagate board.jpg
seagate board.jpg [ 1.02 MiB | Viewed 874 times ]

PostPosted: December 14th, 2017, 5:12 

Sorry for any confusion I made. Missing board for 7200.10 is not a problem.

PostPosted: December 14th, 2017, 21:45 

Thank you everyone for your replies.

I don't trust myself with a solder and, even if I was, I'm still not entirely sure what it is I need to do. I've therefore decided to pass it to a professional on my next visit to the UK.

Thanks again all - much appreciated

PostPosted: December 25th, 2017, 18:17 

- Faster option is to buy a PCB from a drive with the same Model and FW version that way ROM will be the same as your initial PCB.

- SeDiv will only run on Win XP 32 bit. Also the DEMO will not help you out. You would need a $350 USD full version and a TTL adaptor so that you could write ROM to your PCB. Cheaper would be to buy a new PCB with the correct ROM already on it.

- By plugging the drive by TTL i mean this :

http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=192
http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=193

- You don't use an .exe file to "flash" the ROM on the PCB. You just connect the drive by TTL and use a "special" utility to write a ROM image back to the PCB.

- If the drive you want to fix have a 3.AAJ firmware just buy a PCB from an identical drive with the same 3.AAJ firmware. ROM on PCB will be the same. This is easy for you rather then re-programm the PCB.

- It's not a question of a firmware version to be better then the other. On the platter of the drive there are firmware "parts" that have to be loaded to drive RAM so it will work. Those "components" have for example the app code, ATA overlay, etc .... if the APP code of the platter have a version that doesn't match the ROM on the PCB then the drive will complain about app code not compatible with ROM and it will not load it. Then the drive will drop to level F> instead of going to T> and you will not be able to access it by ATA.

- STCom will NOT work to flash ROM on ST-10 drives. Believe me it's buggy and it will brick the ROM code. Fortunatly it's not a big deal as the drive can load from internal MCU ROM and that will allow for ROM writing once again so even if you brick the ROM code you can still re-flash it.

- Cheaper alternative is a "chinese" tool from the same guys of WDR/SRT/STR that was sometimes "sold" or shipped with Seagate Repair tool to flash ST-10 ROMs. There are some more other alternatives as well. Of course any other "decent" ST-10 tool should be able to do it as well but it's .... expensive.

- You don't need to remove ROM chip and programm it with external programmer. Using TTL + firmware tool is faster and safer.

- Still think that a "cheaper" alternative would be to start by getting the correct PCB from a drive with 3.AAJ firmware ....

And of course this is all assuming that the problem is just a missing/damaged PCB and that all the rest of the drive and firmware is working correctly ...

Regards and good luck !