All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: St9500420as & Bad blocks
PostPosted: December 14th, 2017, 9:01 

Hi,
I have St9500420as which is detecting in bios and in disk management as raw.The smart is indicating GOOD.but there are bad block in 0.well i need data, i tried to image the sad hdd but it was imaging in bytes some time in kb.i tried this

(P) SATA Reset

(P) SATA Reset

ASCII Diag mode

F3 T>V40
Nonresident GList 0 entries returned
Total entries available: 0
PBA Len Flags Phy Cyl Hd PhySctr SFI

F3 T>V4
Reassigned Sectors List
Original New log log log phy phy
LBA PBA cyl hd sctr zn cyl hd sctr SFI

Alt Pending Total Alted Total
Entries Entries Entries Alts Alts
Head 0 0
Head 1 0
Head 2 0
Head 3 0
Total 0 0 0 0 0
Total Alt Removals: 0
Checksum = 0000

F3 T>V2
System Slip Defect List
log log log phys phys
LBA span cumm cyl hd sctr zn cyl sctr SFI
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1CEFC 0 FFFFFFFF 0
220EC A5E4 A5E4 0 1 0 1 1EA38 0 FFFFFFFF 2C6D0
441D8 CFB4 17598 0 2 0 2 1D810 0 FFFFFFFF 5B770
662C4 B3D4 2296C 0 3 0 3 1C5E8 0 FFFFFFFF 88C30
883B0 97F4 2C160 CC 0 0 4 1CFC8 0 FFFFFFFF B4510
AA49C A5E4 36744 D8 1 0 5 1EB10 0 FFFFFFFF E0BE0
CC588 CFB4 436F8 D0 2 0 6 1D8E0 0 FFFFFFFF 10FC80
EE674 B3D4 4EACC C8 3 0 7 1C6B0 0 FFFFFFFF 13D140

Head 0: entries 2 slips 97F4
Head 1: entries 2 slips 14BC8
Head 2: entries 2 slips 19F68
Head 3: entries 2 slips 167A8
Total Entries 8 Total Slips 4EACC

F"READ_SPARING_ENABLED",0,22
F"WRITE_SPARING_ENABLED",0,22
F"OFFLINE_SPARING_ENABLED",0,22
F"DAR_ENABLED",0,22
F"DISABLE_IDLE_ACTIVITY",1,22
F"BGMS_DISABLE_DATA_REFRESH",1,22
F"ABORT_PREFETCH",1,22
F"READ_LOOKAHEAD_DISABLED_ON_POWER_UP",1,22
F"READ_CACHING_DISABLED_ON_POWER_UP",1,22
+
F"RWRecoveryFlags",00,22
F"BGMSFlags",00,22
F"PerformanceFlags",043C,22
F"MediaCacheControl",00,22

only F"MediaCacheControl",00,22 doesnot apply it me an error.Can u Gurus guide me Please?

Attachments:
1.png
1.png [ 84.66 KiB | Viewed 6968 times ]

Post subject: Re: St9500420as & Bad blocks
PostPosted: December 14th, 2017, 9:52 

What tool are you using for imaging?
Have you tried to read from different areas?
Have you tried to image head-by-head?

PostPosted: December 14th, 2017, 14:03 

Hi,
I am using ddrescue & hddsuperclone.

PostPosted: December 14th, 2017, 18:34 

Have you tried backward copy for instance?

PostPosted: December 14th, 2017, 19:13 

Attach the log from hddsuperclone. I can analyze it and perhaps give some insight on what is happening. I prefer a log that was started from scratch with hddsuperclone, as importing a ddrescue log can make it much more difficult to analyze.

PostPosted: December 15th, 2017, 2:03 

hi
pclab no i did,nt try in backwards because the data is on first partition where the os is. and maximus i ,ll upload the log file tonight.
thanks

PostPosted: December 16th, 2017, 10:04 

Just curious : what did you use to input those commands (1st post), if you don't have a professional toolset like PC3000 / MRT ? (I guess you don't if you're using ddrescue / HDDSuperClone, which might be the best free tools and possibly the best software-only tools available, but still a far cry from what professional hardware + software solutions regularly mentioned here can accomplish, from what I could gather.) I'd like to learn that kind of trick on-the-cheap...

Regarding your above reply : you can still copy backward and target a specific area at the begining of the HDD. With ddrescue, use the -i switch. If the volume is in NTFS, with ddrutility there's a tool called ddru_ntfsbitmap, which can create a mapfile based on the $Bitmap file, and restrict the copy to the areas marked as allocated (very useful when cloning a failing HDD with a lot of free space).
I haven't much experience with HSC, but you're lucky enough to have the author providing you with personal guidance here ! :)

PostPosted: December 16th, 2017, 14:06 

Quote:
I haven't much experience with HSC, but you're lucky enough to have the author providing you with personal guidance here ! :)

If the rescue is started with hddsuperclone with the default settings, after it is a bit into phase 1 I am able to diagnose some things from the log. Such things as if it is suffering from some sort of slow responding issue, or has a bad head. I do not yet have any documentation available for how to do that, so I am always willing to help with the diagnosis.

Quote:
If the volume is in NTFS, with ddrutility there's a tool called ddru_ntfsbitmap, which can create a mapfile based on the $Bitmap file, and restrict the copy to the areas marked as allocated (very useful when cloning a failing HDD with a lot of free space).

Someone just posted in the discussion area of ddrutility with a possible method of targeting ntfs files, using the tools available in ddrutility along with spreadsheet software. It is somewhat complicated and requires multiple steps, and I am not sure the average user could do it, but the concept seems solid. It is a very clever idea, and I am quite impressed with it. If he is successful with the recovery, I may have to post that how-to in some other places.

PostPosted: December 17th, 2017, 12:55 

Quote:
If the rescue is started with hddsuperclone with the default settings, after it is a bit into phase 1 I am able to diagnose some things from the log. Such things as if it is suffering from some sort of slow responding issue, or has a bad head. I do not yet have any documentation available for how to do that, so I am always willing to help with the diagnosis.

Well, that's kind of you anyway – but I suppose that it also helps you to improve your programs, by trying to figure out unexpected issues and implement specific workarounds. I mentioned HDDSuperTool in this thread, asking if it could do anything useful in the case I described – what would you have to say about it ? I tried HDDSuperClone for the first time with that ST3000DM001, but at that point it didn't seem to fare any better than ddrescue ; it's possible that I couldn't figure out how to set it properly to get the best possible result. But it seems unlikely that I can salvage significantly more than I already did, i.e. recover at least one of those 6 corrupted video files in its entirety. At least I was hoping that I could learn something from this unfortunate experience (which could have been way worse), but the replies I got have been quite frustrating...

Quote:
Someone just posted in the discussion area of ddrutility with a possible method of targeting ntfs files, using the tools available in ddrutility along with spreadsheet software. It is somewhat complicated and requires multiple steps, and I am not sure the average user could do it, but the concept seems solid. It is a very clever idea, and I am quite impressed with it. If he is successful with the recovery, I may have to post that how-to in some other places.

What discussion are you refering to ? I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by “targeting NTFS files” – aren't those tools already aimed at targeting NTFS files ? (Bitmap and MFT, respectively, for ddru_ntfsbitmap and ddru_ntfsfindbad.)

PostPosted: December 17th, 2017, 13:52 

HDDSuperTool will not help you in either case. There are no scripts in it for Seagate drives. The only firmware access I am aware of is with terminal, and I am no help there.

I can only provide a possible diagnosis with HDDSuperClone by analyzing the progress (project) log file as the rescue attempt progresses, sometimes very early into the attempt. Sometimes I can even tell some information from a screen shot. But I am no help if that information is not provided. Your statement that hddsuperclone seems no better than ddrescue does not provide much information, although it is not a good sign for the health of the drive.

Ddrutility home is on Sourceforge, the discussion is there. Someone has potentially figured out how to use the ntfs tools of ddrutility to target selected user files, not just the Bitmap and MFT.