Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

Samsung HD 161hj

December 14th, 2017, 17:03

Drive spins perfectly no sound and clicking . not detecting in bios and in os
I suspected head is little bad
PCB BF41-0163A
I have another Hdd same model hd161j pcb BF-41 0154A
both head match?

Re: Samsung HD 161hj

December 14th, 2017, 17:07

“No sound” AND “ and clicking”?

Which is it?

Re: Samsung HD 161hj

December 14th, 2017, 17:18

I mean spins continuously samsung HD161HJ
second one is working fine

Re: Samsung HD 161hj

December 14th, 2017, 18:07

Post terminal output, these normally click if heads are bad.

Re: Samsung HD 161hj

December 15th, 2017, 17:28

pcimage wrote:Post terminal output, these normally click if heads are bad.



Nothing in terminal (blank)

Marvel Chip is getting more heat

Re: Samsung HD 161hj

December 16th, 2017, 5:03

Are you sure you're connecting terminal correctly?

I've never seen a Samsung drive producing blank terminal.

Re: Samsung HD 161hj

December 17th, 2017, 12:54

northwind wrote:Are you sure you're connecting terminal correctly?

I've never seen a Samsung drive producing blank terminal.

I have checked again connections
i removed pcb and checked pcb with power still it getting marvel chip getting heat
may be marvel chip damaged

Re: Samsung HD 161hj

December 17th, 2017, 16:41

What are the voltages at the Tx/Rx terminal pins? Perhaps your client has damaged the UART port.

Re: Samsung HD 161hj

December 17th, 2017, 16:59

Just to be sure, have you tried terminal connection in the other hdd of the same model you have, and it worked ?

Re: Samsung HD 161hj

December 18th, 2017, 5:24

fzabkar wrote:What are the voltages at the Tx/Rx terminal pins? Perhaps your client has damaged the UART port.

You are right Sir
I checked with multi meter RX/TX ports shorted 0 ohm

Re: Samsung HD 161hj

December 25th, 2017, 16:38

Are you checking the correct RX/TX pins ?
Did you try to gain TTL access with a known good drive ?
:D :D :D

Re: Samsung HD 161hj

December 26th, 2017, 14:08

Spildit wrote:Are you checking the correct RX/TX pins ?
Did you try to gain TTL access with a known good drive ?
:D :D :D

yes sir
I have carefully checked Rx/TX ports and both ports short and voltages same on both ports. i.e 0.43

finally I got SA access got some data it has more unreadable sectors now the drive is completely closed. some other data also there to recover

Re: Samsung HD 161hj

December 26th, 2017, 14:58

:shock: :shock: :shock:

What tools are you using to gain SA/MC access ?

What do you mean by drive completly closed ?

If you have user area access most likely firmware is ok ....

Re: Samsung HD 161hj

December 28th, 2017, 14:50

Spildit wrote::shock: :shock: :shock:

What tools are you using to gain SA/MC access ?

What do you mean by drive completely closed ?

If you have user area access most likely firmware is ok ....

yes sir Firmware is ok
I changed pc Now drive detected via sata to usb and I formatted C ( No important data) . Now it detected Bios( directly connected to pc)too. I have seen two partitions become Raw and one partition shows NTFS (D Drive)but if I open any folder access denied error. I f i checked Checkdisk it deleting entries in ( $130)

Re: Samsung HD 161hj

December 28th, 2017, 16:21

prasadsv wrote:
Spildit wrote::shock: :shock: :shock:

What tools are you using to gain SA/MC access ?

What do you mean by drive completely closed ?

If you have user area access most likely firmware is ok ....

yes sir Firmware is ok
I changed pc Now drive detected via sata to usb and I formatted C ( No important data) . Now it detected Bios( directly connected to pc)too. I have seen two partitions become Raw and one partition shows NTFS (D Drive)but if I open any folder access denied error. I f i checked Checkdisk it deleting entries in ( $130)


Doesn't sound good at all ......

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Post a reply