All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: dskchk and sfc scannow not working - getting stuck
PostPosted: December 16th, 2017, 19:38 

So after never getting any feedback on my original question about SEATOOLS for DOS and fixing the wrong capacity on my hard drive which you can see here https://forum.hddguru.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=36167

I decided to just roll the dice and run it. The good new is that it worked instantly and my hard drive went from 33gb to the correct 500gb and I then extended C into the huge unallocated section with no problem. Prior to this, and since I've had this laptop - the disk had never had any errors on any diagnositc - DELL, Windows, Seatools for Windows, etc...all tests always came back clean with no errors.

So after I got done with the seatools for dos procedure and extending of volume C, I decided to run some diagnostics again just to make sure everything was OK. They all failed. SMART, short test, everything - diskcheck within windows (under properties/tools) all failed. So I spent some time Googling the situation, and the instructions I found said the first thing to do was to run

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth - so I did that and it completed fine no problems, but since then, I have tried every possible combination and permutation of both SFC /scannow and DSKCHK /r etc.....and they have not worked once. Every time I try any way - including command prompt (Admin) in safe mode or any other way - dskchk hangs at 10% and doesn't move - ever even after hours.

With SFC /scannow, it repeatedly gets to exactly 85% and then says, "windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation" and stops.

Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: dskchk and sfc scannow not working - getting stuck
PostPosted: December 18th, 2017, 14:57 

Can you show us the SMART report? Use CrystalDiskInfo or a similar tool, not SeaTools, for this.

https://crystalmark.info/software/Cryst ... dex-e.html

Post subject: Re: dskchk and sfc scannow not working - getting stuck
PostPosted: December 18th, 2017, 17:24 

Depending on the history of the hdd, maybe it was reduced in size by someone to make the notebook work. Both ( notebook and hdd ) were bought used, weren´t they?