All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Sanity check/questions @ step 6: 7200.12 recovery newbie
PostPosted: January 8th, 2018, 13:01 

If you want to play the odds, a clicking 7200.12 drive that powers down is most always a head crash / media damage issue. Usually H0 or H1.

PostPosted: January 8th, 2018, 16:44 

murrayatuptown wrote:
I downloaded ddrescue & HDDSuperclone but they both appear to be for Linux platforms.

I trashed Windows 10 trying to install Ubuntu Studio last time (my error-let's not go there)...so I haven't tried again since reinstalling Windows 7. I can run Linux from a Live CD, but am not sure if I can find the Linux tools in the Windows 7 partition afterward...or maybe I just find & download them again while running Linux.

Install board & power up first. Worry about cloning later.

HDDSuperClone does have a .... LIVE CD !!!

http://www.sdcomputingservice.com/hddlivecd

PostPosted: January 8th, 2018, 16:46 

murrayatuptown wrote:

I have disassembled dozens of hard drives just to take them apart...I wonder how long a drive would survive if I pulled the spindle motor and platters out and relocated them to a drive with good heads, all lacking a clean room (or declare my house a Class 100000 clean room) (bad joke)...long enough to copy data? Moving the whole motor & stack of platters seems safest way to keep everything aligned.

You don't want to do that .... Even professional data recovery firms will NEVER do that unless there are no other option (like in cases of damaged spindle).

What data recovery professional guys do is to replace the HEAD STACK of course inside the HEPA 100 clean room .... You don't want to pull spindle and platters. You will kill the data for good ...

PostPosted: January 8th, 2018, 16:49 

murrayatuptown wrote:

I have the failed drive and a pair of two more Barracuda 7200.12 320 GB drives. The 3rd on has different firmware and I haven't looked at the board yet.

Back up a few steps & not go there yet...

You would need very expensive ($6000 USD) tools like PC-3000 to make sure that the heads are compatible, patch ROM with heads adaptives if needed and extract the data even if you have to disable bad heads, etc .....

Finding compatible heads might be a challenge itself. Then you have to swap them properly ... if you manage to survive all of that you might still have to deal with firware issues and you do want to disable reloaction and background media scan, etc .... by patching sys files .... etc etc .... So forget it .... If you need the data just send the drive to a reputable data recovery firm.

PostPosted: January 8th, 2018, 16:51 

jono-ats wrote:
If you want to play the odds, a clicking 7200.12 drive that powers down is most always a head crash / media damage issue. Usually H0 or H1.

I do fully agree ....

But for the description of the first post the drive might not be spinning at all to start with, just trying to spin .... Might be head stuck to platter but i generaly don't see that on 3.5 drives .... Might be PCB problem .... It all depends if the drive is really spinning, clicking and spinning down or if it just attempts to spin but doesn't even spin at all.

PostPosted: January 8th, 2018, 20:45 

0) I installed the board from the failed drive with the replacement board’s 25FW406A memory chip onto the matching ‘ donor drive’ and powered it up with a Cables To Go USB-SATA adapter. It spins up. The adapter was given to me in uncertain condition, so that may be why I could not detect it plugged into a W7 USB PORT.

1) I installed the replacement board with the original 25X40ALS33 memory chip onto the failed drive with the CTG SATA-USB adapter & powered it up...makes the same pulsing sound burst...to me it sounds nothing like clicking but it made that sound 22 times in one minute then stopped. Powered off then back on and it started doing the same thing.

Not great news, but I guess it’s better tuan no response at all.

PostPosted: January 8th, 2018, 20:46 

I recorded the sound but am not sure if I can export the Voice Memo recording from my phone,

PostPosted: January 8th, 2018, 22:00 

I am not seeing my earlier post from tonight, but half the time I get a messa

PostPosted: January 8th, 2018, 23:55 

My initial interpretation was that it is attempting to spin, does not, and the motor drive is interrupted, a delay occurs, and the cycle repeats. Today I observed 22 attempts in 60 seconds that seemed to be equally spaced.

So it seems it is beyond the possibility of a home recovery effort.

The guy who owns the PC is in his 70's, living a very simple retirement and balked at the no-guarantee cost estimate he got from the local electronic appliance store.

Any recommendations for a reputable service would be helpful to have as options.

It seems options for recovery are A) professional $$$ option, B) do nothing and have virtual data loss, C) take the two replacement drives, install Windows on one, set up the 2nd for auto-backup, then store the failed drive until a winning lottery ticket appears, and D) ???

I think I'll suggest we take Option C...

Thanks all, and to Spildit Obrigado e boa noite

PostPosted: January 9th, 2018, 3:23 

Quote:
I downloaded ddrescue & HDDSuperclone but they both appear to be for Linux platforms. I trashed Windows 10 trying to install Ubuntu Studio last time (my error-let's not go there)...so I haven't tried again since reinstalling Windows 7. I can run Linux from a Live CD, but am not sure if I can find the Linux tools in the Windows 7 partition afterward...or maybe I just find & download them again while running Linux.

Yes you can download and install stuff on a live CD, DVD, or better yet flash drive (or SD card) Linux system. Many common distributions include ddrescue (although not always the most recent one, the basic functionality should be the same, but some commands have changed so you might be confused when reading a tutorial for instance). On HDDSuperClone's website there's currently a Lubuntu-based distribution named HDDLiveCD with both HDDSuperClone and ddrescue included.
If you want your system to be perfectly safe, fool-proof and Murphy's-Law-proof, use another machine, an old desktop collecting dust in the basement, or a secondary laptop that someone could lend you for a while. When using two machines, for convenience, I run the secondary one from the main one using TeamViewer – there may be a more standard setup, but it works fine (just have to install TeamViewer package). Or if you only got one you can remove the HDD or SSD from your computer, to be sure that it won't be touched at all even in case of a mistake, and put it back once it's finished. Just connect the source HDD, the recovery HDD, and the flash drive. (And double-check, triple-check before running the command, exchanging just two characters can lead to a disaster ! :shock:)

Quote:
I have disassembled dozens of hard drives just to take them apart...I wonder how long a drive would survive if I pulled the spindle motor and platters out and relocated them to a drive with good heads, all lacking a clean room (or declare my house a Class 100000 clean room) (bad joke)...long enough to copy data? Moving the whole motor & stack of platters seems safest way to keep everything aligned.

I'll let the pros who do “open heart surgery” every day reply to that one but... in a nutshell... zissizbadaïdee ! o_O

EDIT : Sorry, I hadn't seen that there was a second page... :oops:

PostPosted: January 9th, 2018, 4:17 

Find someone who know what to do if You have important data on the hdd.

PostPosted: January 9th, 2018, 16:27 

murrayatuptown wrote:
My initial interpretation was that it is attempting to spin, does not, and the motor drive is interrupted, a delay occurs, and the cycle repeats. Today I observed 22 attempts in 60 seconds that seemed to be equally spaced.

So it seems it is beyond the possibility of a home recovery effort.

The guy who owns the PC is in his 70's, living a very simple retirement and balked at the no-guarantee cost estimate he got from the local electronic appliance store.

Any recommendations for a reputable service would be helpful to have as options.

It seems options for recovery are A) professional $$$ option, B) do nothing and have virtual data loss, C) take the two replacement drives, install Windows on one, set up the 2nd for auto-backup, then store the failed drive until a winning lottery ticket appears, and D) ???

I think I'll suggest we take Option C...

Thanks all, and to Spildit Obrigado e boa noite

Well, it might be heads stuck to the platter or bad heads or even bad surface of heads scratching the platter. No way to know unless the drive is serviced professionaly. A sound recording would provide more clues. At any rate option C looks a good idea if you can't pay for option A. DO NOT OPEN THE DRIVE YOURSELF. Also there is a better option C.... Just forget about that Seagate junk, buy something like 2 HGST drives and install Windows on one and auto-backup to the other !!! :D :D :D

If you get any Seagate drive make sure it's something like 7200.10 or OLDER !!!! You don't want to use ANYTHING that is Seagate since 7200.11 (inclusive) !!!

De nada e boa noite !