All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hitachi HDP725025GLA380 - Missing ROM But NVRAM Is There
PostPosted: January 15th, 2018, 8:15 

Well,
First i Bow Infront Of All The Great Computer Repair Vendors " For Heavens Sake Stop Data Recovery Experimentation If You Do Not Know What the Hell You Folks Are Doing " . Now Coming To The Point I Got One Hitachi - IBM Drive HDP725025GLA380 " HDx7250GL " Family .PCB No is 110 OA90026 01 or 220 OA90026 01 . Motor controller is OA52609 and main controller is OA55895 " But i am not 100% Sure this is Correct PCB " . This Board Has a NVRAM At U5 And ROM At U7 .U7 Is Missing .I Read The U5 NVRAM Using My Elnec Programmer And I Could Open NVRAM in PC 3000 And See The Following Code mu-code " GM2NC5CA " And FW Code " 2A13B9A9 " . Can Someone Help Me To Find Compatiable ROM if You Guys Can Match Mu-code And FW Ver Code In Your NVRAMS Please .Serial No of NVram Matches To HDA .P/N Of HDD is OA35399 And MLC is BA2831 .Serial No is RS01VHDA on Label .

Website-> http://www.chandigarhdatarecovery.com

Post subject: Re: Hitachi HDP725025GLA380 - Missing ROM But NVRAM Is Ther
PostPosted: January 15th, 2018, 9:41 

My eyes are hurting but ...

https://sep.yimg.com/ay/yhst-14437584971410/hdp725016gla380-0a36887-ba2763-0a29775-0a90026-oa29775-oa90026-oa55895-3-5-sata-pcb-board-fw-15.gif

https://sep.yimg.com/ay/yhst-14437584971410/hitachi-3-5-hard-drive-0a29738-pcb-board-replacement-instructions-4.gif

PostPosted: January 15th, 2018, 9:59 

I think that ROM is embeded into the procesor. The PCB number is correct and mu-code is correct. HGST used to produce first models with external ROM and later switch to internal ROM.

PostPosted: January 15th, 2018, 13:59 

fzabkar wrote:

Sorry Frank ,
You know i write like that only but for you i will write the way you want to read .In the first link you have given i can see U5 " NVRAM " being populated not the U7 " Are you trying to tell me U7 is not present in this Pcb with sticker OA29775 ? . The U5 is a S93C76 Serial ROM " NVRAM " not ROM . In the second link the U7 " ROM " is very much present .But both the boards have different processor and also different pcb stickers .Am i missing something buddy

PostPosted: January 15th, 2018, 14:01 

BGman wrote:
I think that ROM is embeded into the procesor. The PCB number is correct and mu-code is correct. HGST used to produce first models with external ROM and later switch to internal ROM.

Hi ,
Great observation this is what i asked frank to here -> viewtopic.php?p=254677#p254677 .So tommorw i am going to solder the NVRAM U5 back to that board and try to read rom and Nvram .If i can read the rom then its inside the MCU only

PostPosted: January 15th, 2018, 22:54 

As a matter of fact, I found that one of mine drives has the same numbers as yours, work just fine and guess what - U7 is missing. :D :D :D

PostPosted: January 17th, 2018, 23:42 

Spildit wrote:
I think that the best advice that I can provide to you is the one you already gave on your first post ...

Amarbir[CDR-Labs] wrote:
" For Heavens Sake Stop Data Recovery Experimentation If You Do Not Know What the Hell You Folks Are Doing "

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Well,
You Jump To Conclusions To Fast . Let Me Reply To Your Initial Question And Then You Can Be As Judgemental As You Like To .

First i Will Reply To Your Questions ....

1 : Maybe we should start with .... What is the problem with the drive ?
Ans : Lol If a drive comes to a data recovery company ,What do you think should be the problem :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1 : If you apply the PCB to the drive does it spin at all ? Does it make any noise ?
Ans : The Drive Failed On The User ,He Took The Drive To a Computer Guy in a Town 275 Kilometers away from Me .That Guy Swapped The Board " No Idea If He Put The Same Board Back Or Not . Then The User Came In Touch To The Second Computer Chap That Guy Too Swapped Board " No idea He Too Gave Original Or Not " .So Then The Drives Comes To Me With a Board Thats Not Of The Drive And Came Populated With a U5 NVRAM And U7 Rom .The Drive Would Spin And Never ID i Tried Lots of Options in NVRam but no ID and no access to user area .So i never knew its a pcb issue or not .I never though PCB is native or not It Had same pcb no as with the drives i had at hand .The guy insisted its original .Then as the last resort i swapped heads and same issue ,Then i suspected the PCB and The Guy Comes and Hands Me a PCB With Just U5 NVRAM Populated .Of Course i will think U7 is missing As All PCB's At Hand And The PCB he gave me initially had U7 installed .Then i told the guy to get all same boards and hard drives from those two computer chaps .Now i have the original board with the original NVRAM And Rom inside MCU as BGMan Tells Me ,But the Drive is just busy Might be i will swap the original heads back to this and try out once .Plus the original board he gave me is of a total different hard drive which i have figured out from the stash he gave me .

1 :What does your PC3K tell about that drive ? Does it ID at all ?
Ans : i do not want to answer this question i have already stated some facts above

2 : Can you read NVRAM with it ? What about ROM ?
Ans : Well i am not a kid that i cannot do this i could do this for all the pcb's but i did not try it on the board with U7 missing as i though its missing but it turns its inside mcu in this model and the main controller is also different .

If you plug PCB only and you wait for DSC/DRDY can you read NVRam ?
Ans : Well My Mother Explained Me These Small Small Things Long Time Back . :mrgreen: .Not Only NVRAM also Rom Can Be Read incase you missing asking me haa haaa

4:Why did you use the external programmer to read NVRam if you have PC-3000 ?
Ans : Because i initially though Rom is Missing And Board Will Not ID

Current Situation : The Board That Seemed To Be Original Seems To Be Behaving Very Funny After Editing NVRAM Settings .Earlier it would go to busy and then slowly come to dry dsc now it just does this very fast and drive would not spin .Something not very right with board or the tool i am using to flash and program it .But the matter spildit is that how many hours of experimentation can i devote to such cases were the initial drive has so many experiments done on .You need to understand no one in india pays so much for good R&D related work also Thats another matter i and you keep pulling each others legs :D

PostPosted: January 17th, 2018, 23:44 

BGman wrote:
As a matter of fact, I found that one of mine drives has the same numbers as yours, work just fine and guess what - U7 is missing. :D :D :D

Well,
All thanks to you i was able to proceed a little further in the case brother .Indeed its inside MCU in this particular drive .The MCU No is Totally different in this drive so might be in future someone can benefit from this discussion

PostPosted: January 18th, 2018, 4:24 

Is it correct to say that you don't have enough (or any) spare drives for this model?

PostPosted: January 18th, 2018, 5:56 

BGman wrote:
Is it correct to say that you don't have enough (or any) spare drives for this model?

Well,
I Have The Hard Drives But i Hope Not Same PCB ,That Can Be Arranged