All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Toshiba Firmware appears to be corrupt, suggestions?
PostPosted: February 1st, 2018, 3:22 

I have a Toshiba MK5065GSXF HDD2J62 TV02 500GB drive. The laptop it was in is older. The drive was made 18OCT2011. Basically it stopped being correctly identified in Linux. The data could not be read but the drive would report as 7GB instead of 500GB. Then it stopped loading in linux after I was in the middle of a DD clone attempt. I somehow managed to get 30GB after maximizing the perceived boundaries with TestDisk. It still wasn't seeing the whole 500GB, only about 50-60GB were seen. So after it completely stopped being seen in Linux the BIOS was seeing it. It noted the manufacturer correctly. I was sleep deprived so I didn't make note of the reported HDD size. But, the BIOS stopped even recognizing it. It's a blank spot now. The drive gets power and the motor runs. The heads are not stuck, there's no clicking. It's the first time I've had this type of failure. I've dealt with heads clicking before and made it through with no or minimal data loss.

This will be a complete bust if I can't fully diagnose the problem and it appears to be the HDD firmware so far. I have not found any way to back up the presumed corrupted firmware, and then write over it with proper firmware. I see there are people selling some likely expensive products to do this but after having seen some hacks on replacing Seagate HDD firmware I thought some one might be able to point me in the right direction. I will keep googling and reading through this site in the mean time.

I am an indigent whistleblower and this drive had a lot of things that I had no money to buy a back up drive for. A lot of legal work is on this drive.

I am in the process of trying to get MHDD working on a bootable CD. I have a few links that I'm going to try since the last few didn't work. I'll post the results of that if I get it working. If there is any other software or specifics that some one can mention regarding toshiba firmware copying and flashing please chime in.

Regards

Post subject: Re: Toshiba Firmware appears to be corrupt, suggestions?
PostPosted: February 1st, 2018, 4:08 

These threads may be of interest to you:

http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=1254
http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=751

BTW, I would use ddrescue or HDDSuperClone to clone your drive. These tools understand how to work with bad sectors.

http://www.sdcomputingservice.com/hddsuperclone

PostPosted: February 1st, 2018, 5:33 

I'm going through those threads now. This is the sort of help I was hoping for. I don't mind googling for info but sometimes it doesn't yield useful results because the searcher simply doesn't know that certain keywords would result in useful hits, or google simply returns garbage.

The drive isn't being picked up at all so I think ddrescue is out. But this HDDSuperclone looks extremely useful. The os and bios bypass is precisely what I need. I have a plateful now to go through those links you gave me and to learn. I've already bookmarked the one thread as it has the toshiba low level commands I was hoping to find. I'll have to wget the info too so I'll always have it.

Many many thanks to you. If I make it to the point of recovering some of what I hope to recover I'll be sure to give links so you all can see the whistleblowing work I've done and am doing and it may come in handy for any of you if you find yourselves dealing with the court system, which is a fully operation RICO enterprise at this point in time.

Off to read...
Regards

PostPosted: February 1st, 2018, 8:01 

2am time to call it quits for the day. MHDD was successfully burned onto CD and the software loaded. It did not detect the Toshiba drive with the PCB connected to it, nor with it hanging alone w/o the drive. I can confirm that the drive is running. I can physically feel it vibrating like it's seeking position in a non stop loop.

In regards to HDDSuperclone, there is a warning that it can not disable some of the built in ubuntu attempts to fix a drive. I don't think it's worth a gamble until I know better what I'm dealing with. I did see in the one thread that you linked that Spildit posted the following regarding my type of drive:

Quote:
Most Toshiba drives that arrive to me for recovery have problems related to bad sectors, dying heads and sometimes translator related issues. Lacking something like PC3K that allow to create a virtual translator and read from the utility it might be a challenge to clone those drives or to extract data out of them.

And

Quote:
Defective models that I see the most are MKxxxxGSYN and MKxxxxGSX. On all of those the standard procedure would be to use either PC3K or MRT Pro to read CPs, create a virtual translator and copy the data from the active utility with the virtual translator. This is the general procedure nowadays and do work on the majority of cases.

If you don't have any of those tools but you still have something like HRT (latest version with the Toshiba Sata tool + DRE) or SeDiv you can try to clear S.M.A.R.T., G-List and clone either with the HRT-DRE or any other hardware based imager.

I will look into these other tools mentioned. I may join that forum to try to see what Spildit might be able to communicate regarding my issues.

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2018, 7:35 

Spildit wrote:
Well ....

First of all it's a Toshiba drive so all of the CPs are on the ROM (PCB) with the exception of a few "modules" like the G-List, Password module, etc ...

I did catch this part of comments made elsewhere either by you or someone else, so I'm grateful that you're reinforcing this structural difference that you researchers have figured out, no thanks to Toshiba. At the risk of sounding like someone who has never programmed at a low level (ASM) or done much to familiarize myself with drives could you state what CPs are? I understand they contain/are modules that are used in rebuilding ROMs/firmware.

Spildit wrote:
In "normal" cases when you have completly "dead" heads or pre-amp the drive should just click.

This I've experienced before with a few desktop drives. The current drive is from a laptop and it doesn't seem like a clicking.The arm moves like it's seeking a position, it stops, repeats. It doesn't make the sound like it's smacking into the boundaries in which it moves.

Spildit wrote:
Can you ear the heads moving when you first power up the drive ?

Yes. For the first second and by the 2nd second it's starting the repetitive sound as if it's seeking.

Spildit wrote:
If the data inside the drive is important please do consider the use of a professional data recovery service !!!

The option is a consideration but I'd rather sit on this and try to manage it myself. Judges and BAR members are not happy with my pro per whistle blowing work. They aren't used to former research scientists studying law and then pointing out all the due process violations they commit as a matter of SOP. Not only do I have to worry about trying to save data, but I have to worry about being able to trust who I might send it to if I decide I can't go without it.

Spildit wrote:
If you want a do-it-yourself "fix" start by getting a TTL adaptor - http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=192 - connect it to the drive as already posted and press "enter" on your terminal application 8like HyperTerminal). You should see a prompt like ">". If not (and if your TTL works fine when connected to another similar drive then you can start to investigate the possibility of a bad PCB. If the PCB is bad you can replace it with a compatible one but you MUST move the ROM chip from the old PCB to the new one and if you damage that chip it will be IMPOSSIBLE to recover the data ever again !!! So be very carefull !!!

I am checking into whether some new TTL adaptors that I bought which use the https://cdn-shop.adafruit.com/datasheets/DS_PL2303TA_d20120504.pdf PL2303TA chip will work without the 1.8V low voltage issue. I ordered them before I came across postings on the issue. I normally use Linux. I have winxp 64 bit on the desktop w/debian. I presume the hyperterminal is like Putty and I select a port for the drive in order to issues commands. It would be awesome if it's a bad PCB but from what I've read it really sounds like the firmware/ROM is damaged. I've done some soldering. Almost completed the wavebubble project ladyada put out. Fun bit of work but I don't like doing ICs with the super tiny traces. If it turns out all I need to do is replace the PCB I'll be grateful.

Spildit wrote:
If the PCB is not the "problem" then maybe the G-List is "damaged" and somehow making the drive "stuck" in BSY status or something simmilar. When you run MHDD what status registers does the drive show ? Can you see a gren/blue light on BSY ? Can you see DRDY / DSC lit up ? Or the PCB is not showing any register status ?

I'm not sure what the g-list is either other than some structure that sometimes gets corrupted. I'm sure I missed a guide to some of these things. MHDD doesn't appear to pick up the drive. Working drives show up in the list to select from, but when I only hook up the non-working toshiba it doesn't show any thing. I was thinking ROM/firmware corruption could damage the drive name/info so that MHDD doesn't even pick it up but I'm speculating.

Spildit wrote:
Can you detect the drive with MHDD (at least the correct port) and post a picture of it ?

I booted into MHDD, connected the Toshiba to the primary SATA port, hit shift+f3 to select drive/port, selected primary port 1. It throws errors and flags. I took pictures of this process. I need to DL from camera to lower the size then I'll post with text.

Spildit wrote:
What i can't figure out is the loss of capacity that you mentioned .... I would have to see the drive to attempt to figure out what is wrong with it.

To me the loss of capacity seems to be a part of the firmware/ROM corruption or reading errors; however, if it were reading errors why would it be consistently 7GB over a few reboots. I can't fathom any other explanation for it. Before the drive stopped getting picked up TestDrive clearly reported only 7GB initially before I told it to maximize boundaries, which still only put the 500GB drive at ~50GB total capacity. If the size of the partition is always a function of what's written on disk then corrupted data should account for the problem. I don't mind troubleshooting. I just needed to get to some locations (this site and some others are great but took a while to find) where I can hunker down and study the issue. I need to know what's going on and if it's within my control fix it, if not, I need to think hard about that other step. Legal activism at a true grassroots level requires very careful maneuvering. Stuff I'd rather not be involved in. I'd rather be replicating more of Tesla's patents and work and creating simple howto's for others to properly build and use his circuits the way they are supposed to be used, not as light shows. So, with all of that said, I think a number of you demonstrate a proficiency with low level work and reverse engineering (ie: TOSHIBA ROMs) that I would consider someone here rather than a large company to fix this if I get to a point where I decide to send it off.

Pictures to be UL'd soon.

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2018, 9:01 

The TOSHIBA was hooked up after the standalone MHDD program was loaded. It was connected to primary SATA. These are the results after hitting shift+f3 and selecting the primary.

Here's more images of it in MHDD
[/img]https://s13.postimg.org/7kem7xft3/0202180113.jpg-shrunk.jpg[/img]

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2018, 18:39 

The ATA Identify Device command is returning a 512-byte block filled with 0x7F6C.

total LBAs = 9181853844272611180 = 0x7F6C7F6C7F6C8000 (rounded up)

You can see this by executing the following commands in a Windows DOS box.

Code:
C:\>debug
-e 100 7f 6c
-n test.bin
-rcx
CX 0000
:2
-w
Writing 00002 bytes
-q

C:\>type test.bin
l         <--- these two characters will display differently in a DOS box (same as in MHDD)
C:\>del test.bin

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2018, 18:46 

How do we know the OP is correctly using MHDD? No mention of making sure the BIOS was in IDE mode. Can you detect a good drive plugged into the same port with MHDD? The result is an indication of no device plugged in at all.

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2018, 18:58 

Quote:
In regards to HDDSuperclone, there is a warning that it can not disable some of the built in ubuntu attempts to fix a drive. I don't think it's worth a gamble until I know better what I'm dealing with.

That is just a simple disclaimer that the software is not responsible for anything the OS does when the OS detects the drive. Linux usually works much better with failing or bad drives then Windows does, and should not normally alter the drive. If I were to make that same disclaimer for Windows, it would be more like "DON'T PLUG THE DRIVE INTO A COMPUTER THAT IS RUNNING WINDOWS!"

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2018, 19:05 

Spildit wrote:
Forget about plugging the PCB only ....

I did just test it out....

If you plug the PCB only the drive will remain BSY and it will not ID ...

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you need to wait for a few minutes before a Toshiba drive will communicate on the terminal port? If so, could this also apply to ATA? That is, would you also need to wait for several minutes for a busy drive to come ready via ATA?

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2018, 19:21 

Spildit wrote:
So ... Let's say the drive have a G-List problem and it's stuck on BSY ...

Is there any chance that the motherboard itself is dumping that 0x7F6C "pattern" to the MHDD ? Because the drive is not directly connected to some sort of hardware assisted firmware card the BIOS/motherboard might not be displaying the true status of the drive ...

If the drive is indeed sending that 0x7F6C pattern (instead of the system) then i would say that either PCB or firmware should be "investigated".

Lacking firmware tools i would remove the PCB out of a known good Toshiba drive and pluig it alone on your system to see how MHDD detects the PCB. If it's BSY like mine and if with broken drive you got that pattern then i would try to plug just the PCB of the bad drive and see if i get BSY or the same pattern. If the same pattern is observed then PCB is broken or you have damaged ROM CPs. If you plug the PCB and you can see that it's stuck on BSY then you can assume that the problem might be related to SA on the drive itself ...

The MHDD result is that the status and error registers are both 0x7F, which is the standard result when no device is connected. If the drive is spinning up when connected, it would be detected and give some other result. Don't assume the MHDD results are correct. The OP may need some more direction on how to properly use MHDD.

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2018, 21:43 

I have a lot to take in from all of the responses and I humbly acknowledge that MHDD is not a tool that I have used frequently. Therefore, after reviewing and thinking through all of the responses, I will spend extra time with MHDD to see if I can yield any other results as a result of perhaps not utilizing it properly. I'm working to keep my head above water right now but I will post further tests soon. I'm grateful for all of the responses regarding my issue.

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2018, 23:54 

gringobonk wrote:
I have a lot to take in from all of the responses and I humbly acknowledge that MHDD is not a tool that I have used frequently. Therefore, after reviewing and thinking through all of the responses, I will spend extra time with MHDD to see if I can yield any other results as a result of perhaps not utilizing it properly. I'm working to keep my head above water right now but I will post further tests soon. I'm grateful for all of the responses regarding my issue.

Just so you know, I myself struggle with how to use MHDD, which is why I am not offering to help in that respect, and am expecting the others to offer their help. If you every get to a point where you need help with the likes of HDDSuperTool or HDDSuperClone, then I can be of much more help.

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2018, 9:05 

Okay, so after a long day of tangential BS, I had time to mess with MHDD. It turns out that even though I used the primary input and had tried enabling it by modifying it’s cfg file, it still wasn’t actually working. I tried throwing the commandline option to enable the primary, and it was the same thing. The BIOS was set in Legacy mode. So, I just decided to switch over to the 2nd SATA. It worked right away on a normal drive, with normal results and info about the drive.

Again, the above images are from a normal, functioning drive.

The TOSHIBA drive caused the system to hang.

I tried the TOSHIBA pcb by itself. It did not show up in the options like the normal drive did and it also didn’t hang the system (that is freeze MHDD).

It allowed me to continue selecting various menus in MHDD, but the selection menu was always empty.

I think this gives me something good to go on. The laptop that was in has had to have the power jack replaced in 2016 something. I think between the connect/ disconnect surges something was damaged by electricity. There’s zero burn smell and nothing looks fried. It could have been death by a thousand cuts. So I need to take these results and review what’s been written about them so far. I don’t remember anything from sleep deprivation and insomnia. If I see a move for using the TTL cable I’ll give it a go.

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2018, 9:51 

maximus wrote:
Just so you know, I myself struggle with how to use MHDD, which is why I am not offering to help in that respect, and am expecting the others to offer their help. If you every get to a point where you need help with the likes of HDDSuperTool or HDDSuperClone, then I can be of much more help.

I'm working to get to a point where I can try issuing a terminal stop to the drive since it seems to be in infinite seek mode. The recent mhdd results, coupled with some of the feed back from others, does seem to indicate some sort of firmware issue imho. I don't think HDDSuperclone will be an option until I can get control over what the drive is doing. Terminal test, attempt at ROM retrieval, ROM CP breakdown, CRC checks ( I assume I need a healthy ROM to use as a control?). I just need to get to a certain point then things will be in place to give HDDSuperClone a shot. It sounds promising. Again, I appreciate all of the feedback from all of you. You helped me catch the fact that the MHDD primary disable wasn't being disabled by a modified config or commandline option. Maybe it's a hardware compatibility issue, a number of drivers fail on boot with the boot disk I'm using. Most seemed unnecessary.

Spiltit has given me a long list of things to be examining so that's next along with what ever I come across on the way.... Slow and steady...

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2018, 20:14 

Now that you have MHDD figured out, it shows the drive is staying in the busy state. Time to work with the terminal, for which I am no help at all, so that will be all @spildit.

HDDSuperClone won't help you at all until you get the drive responding normally. If you would not have been able to get MHDD to work, I was going to offer help on how to use HDDSuperTool to get the status registers, but you figured out MHDD.

PostPosted: February 4th, 2018, 5:29 

Spildit wrote:
You can try to plug just the PCB to your system and check if MHDD displays diferent data. Also you can try with a known good Toshiba drive (PCB only).

That's what I did with the last 2 pictures. MHDD doesn't freeze the system when I do that. But it doesn't see the PCB at all. With the PCB+drive connected it will cause MHDD to lock up as soon as I hit shift+f3 to select a system. It starts to display the options and gets to the second controller where it's hooked up and it hangs.

I think from many other posts what needs to happen is that I test my TTL connection and try to get terminal to stop the BSY state. Once that happens I'll just have to see if it will take and use commands. I've found some threads that look like they're on this exact topic from a few days back. Gonna keep reading and digging for a bit. I keep realizing various things I had on there like my cross-examination questions I had just updated. Ugh. What's life without a challenge? I'll report back in with progress. Also need to snag some other software to get a feel for things better. Victoria looks good.

EDIT: You just responded. I'm moving that direction now. Don't think I'll get any bench work in tonight because my back and hamstrings hurt so bad from chronic issues that only got 5:30hrs sleep and was up til like 10am. I will be reading as many threads as I can on this stuff while I rest in bed. The journey continues....

PostPosted: February 4th, 2018, 5:36 

maximus wrote:
Now that you have MHDD figured out, it shows the drive is staying in the busy state. Time to work with the terminal, for which I am no help at all, so that will be all @spildit.

HDDSuperClone won't help you at all until you get the drive responding normally. If you would not have been able to get MHDD to work, I was going to offer help on how to use HDDSuperTool to get the status registers, but you figured out MHDD.

I'd feel more comfortable with MHDD if I didn't think it may not be running entirely normal. It didn't respond to turning on the primary controller via 2 separate methods. It's on a ramdisk and I confirmed that the edited .cfg file had the # removed.

Gonna read up on terminal use and some other progs with Toshiba. Sediv, Victoria, think there's another....

PostPosted: February 4th, 2018, 8:26 

Spildit wrote:
Ok, your posts were added later on when i did already published mine.

Time for terminal.

Here get one of those - http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=192 and connect it to the drive like this : - http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=751

With something like HyperTerminal or putty try to press enter and check if you can see a ">" prompts. If so the drive should "leave" the BSY state and should allow you to use ATA commands. You would then need to issue the "Super On" by ATA and the command to regenerate the G-List secto and teh S.M.A.R.T. sector assuming you don't have a way to "bypass" the G-List and calculate the "translator" outside of the drive matching LBA to PBA yourself accouting with the P-List shifts.

Hyperterminal isn't able to get through. I already tested the voltage on each of the 4 TTL ends. They match what the vendor provided. The loopback test in hyperterminal worked so I know transmission and reception is working. I haven't seen what people do in this scenario.

I have a full working TOSHIBA replacement drive that matches mine (model, firmware ver., date of manufac.) so I expect no differences between aside from whatever may be on the ROM for serials. I don't know what good it will do at this point.

I'm definitely disappointed that the hyperterminal attempt didn't work. I had the right com port and all.

PostPosted: February 4th, 2018, 20:18 

Spildit wrote:
Ok, your posts were added later on when i did already published mine.

Time for terminal.

Here get one of those - http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=192 and connect it to the drive like this : - http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=751

With something like HyperTerminal or putty try to press enter and check if you can see a ">" prompts. If so the drive should "leave" the BSY state and should allow you to use ATA commands. You would then need to issue the "Super On" by ATA and the command to regenerate the G-List secto and teh S.M.A.R.T. sector assuming you don't have a way to "bypass" the G-List and calculate the "translator" outside of the drive matching LBA to PBA yourself accouting with the P-List shifts.

I don't know if I properly hit publish on my last message as I don't see it posted. Hyperterminal didn't work with the drive. I did a loopback test and know the TTL cable was working. I'm waiting on an ordered TOSHIBA drive that has matching model, firmware, and manufacture date. Gonna have to see what my options are with that.