Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

Seagate SSHD Laptop Thin SSHD stuck motor

February 1st, 2018, 10:49

Hi guys,

First of all, thanks for this amazing forum, awesome knowledges database !

I am working on a Seagate SSHD Laptop Thin SSHD ST500LM000.

I hear a sound (at regular intervals, like each second) when I plug power cable to the hard drive that make me think about motor stuck.

I investigated with Atola oscilloscope and it seems there is current problem...

But I need your opinion about my diagnosis, is that correct from your point of view/experience ?

To solve this problem I will have to use an unstuck motor tool right ?

Thanks for your time !

Cheers !
--
Franck
Attachments
IMG_20180131_164806_01.jpg
Atola oscilloscope view

Re: Seagate SSHD Laptop Thin SSHD stuck motor

February 1st, 2018, 12:23

These drives frequently have heads stuck to the platters. In a lot of a cases, if you are really good, you can free up the heads without needing to change them. But, it is not uncommon for the heads to need replacement, too. Be sure to inspect them under a microscope before powering the drive on, after freeing them up.

February 1st, 2018, 15:04

8/10 times the heads are bent enough after stiction to not risk using them, in my experiences.

February 1st, 2018, 22:27

pcimage wrote:8/10 times the heads are bent enough after stiction to not risk using them, in my experiences.

Rookie! ;)

February 2nd, 2018, 3:14

lcoughey wrote:
pcimage wrote:8/10 times the heads are bent enough after stiction to not risk using them, in my experiences.

Rookie! ;)

Haha! :-)

I guess I could up those odds, but I’d rather not take the risk on “marginal” heads. Client data is much too important to introduce any extra elements of risk!

February 2nd, 2018, 5:48

Thx for your help !

I will proceed to a visual check.

I will post an update.

Cheers.

May 22nd, 2018, 5:10

Hey guys !

Sorry for this late update...

I processed to visual check and indeed heads were stuck on the platters !

So I tried to gently put back heads on the parking zone and it worked pretty well... enough to make a copy of the data !

One week after I had the exact same case with the same problem of stuck heads ! I did the same operation with success !

Thank you guys for your help, appreciate it !

Cheers,
Post a reply