All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: STLM100024HN M101MBB
PostPosted: September 15th, 2019, 11:50 

STLM100024HN M101MBB
Drive had PCB failure wrong power connection. I replaced rom to donor PCB. After than terminal said preamp error. I swapped HSA. Firstly started DE. Some parts bad some parts good. Ant than I tried to look folder structure in DE . I saw folders. Selected started extraction. Drive gave gray error on terminal. I guessed heads gone.
Used 2nd donor swapped 2nd HSA . Totally same situation occurred.
I have controlled 1 st HSA on donor is good working.
Now I am clonning sometimes very slow sometime going timeout. Sometimes cloning 80 90 Mb/s. I closed H0 and H2 . Cloning 1 and 3. 0 and 2 not reading

I recognized (my guess) drive going busy when meet bad sector. Trying to allocate defects but terminal shows much about this trying. Checked defect list. When try read A list there is track error.

My assumption A list damaged and/or another SA parts could damaged also.

Now I need stop reallocate defects to A list or ofset A list another part in SA if possible.
I need advices.
Thanks

I could add terminal log if need. Or I could record a video. It is still clonning with strange error logs. NoGray DAM SVCAL DF_Timout GL stuck ... etc

Post subject: Re: STLM100024HN M101MBB
PostPosted: September 15th, 2019, 12:51 

show terminal log, that will be helpful.

PostPosted: September 15th, 2019, 13:18 

here is video and terminal log

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Sof2iH ... sp=sharing

Attachment:
Terminal.txt [606.06 KiB]
Downloaded 418 times

PostPosted: September 15th, 2019, 14:13 

terminal log at power up Abi .. :)
this log is from middle

PostPosted: September 15th, 2019, 14:15 

MindMergepk wrote:
terminal log at power up Abi .. :)
this log is from middle

Abi ))) brother ?
Attachment:
Terminalstart.txt [8.14 KiB]
Downloaded 422 times

PostPosted: September 15th, 2019, 16:38 

of course it can be 'turned off' but only by patching fw. At least i haven't found any convenient method.

PostPosted: September 15th, 2019, 16:46 

pepe wrote:
of course it can be 'turned off' but only by patching fw. At least i haven't found any convenient method.

I had another case kinda same situation. But that drive gave me folder structure view. I setup readonly in MRT DE , extracted folders full speed. But not allow readonly settings when imaging or cloning drive . So there is a way.

PostPosted: September 20th, 2019, 6:13 

Drive cloning partially. This is 5th donor. All was same . But this HSA getting data better.
I could clone anyway with reallocate defects problem. So many bad blocks on platters. Good parts cloning at 80 MB/sec. I would close case after this HSA die

PostPosted: September 20th, 2019, 7:21 

with proper preparation drive can read bad areas pretty fast, skipping bad sectors. however, i would skip entire bad areas at first, then return to them in case they contain valuable info and the HSA is still ok.
5 HSA... that must be a million dollar job... :)

PostPosted: September 20th, 2019, 15:58 

pepe wrote:
with proper preparation drive can read bad areas pretty fast, skipping bad sectors. however, i would skip entire bad areas at first, then return to them in case they contain valuable info and the HSA is still ok.
5 HSA... that must be a million dollar job... :)

Nat a big job.
I do same as you told above. 5th HSA working better. All jeads still alive and good condition. But drive extremely bad really.
Bored this case.
I hope this HSA would finish this case.

PostPosted: September 20th, 2019, 17:07 

Ah, i thought it executed 4 already...
:)
pepe

PostPosted: September 21st, 2019, 1:53 

A little out of topic, but
Last month a client came in with a 500GB Tornado patient and 9 (!!!!) donors, to "use for spares".

I looked at the donors and was very impressed, because usually when clients decide to bring in a donor to "use for spares" more often than not it is an irrelevant drive ("I'm sure you can use the needles from this Seagate drive to recover my Toshiba").

All 10 drives (9 donors+patient) were manufactured on the same date and their serial numbers were 1 digit apart :shock:

When I asked him how on earth did he manage to get these drives, he said that at the time he purchased them (2007) he was in the need of huge storage capacity and these were the largest drives he could find at that time so he just bought 10 drives from a stock warehouse.
We recovered the patient with just 1 set and he left the others as a gift :)

PostPosted: September 21st, 2019, 2:59 

northwind wrote:
Last month a client came in with a 500GB Tornado patient and 9 (!!!!) donors, to "use for spares".

I looked at the donors and was very impressed, because usually when clients decide to bring in a donor to "use for spares" more often than not it is an irrelevant drive ("I'm sure you can use the needles from this Seagate drive to recover my Toshiba").

All 10 drives (9 donors+patient) were manufactured on the same date and their serial numbers were 1 digit apart :shock:

When I asked him how on earth did he manage to get these drives, he said that at the time he purchased them (2007) he was in the need of huge storage capacity and these were the largest drives he could find at that time so he just bought 10 drives from a stock warehouse.

He had 10 drivers. but Unfortunately he had a single backup only. and he had 10 drivers. Unfortunately data drive had been dead. How fortune his has.

However good job and congratulations northwind.

PostPosted: September 21st, 2019, 4:45 

northwind wrote:

Strange story