All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Seagate Drive Blank Label
PostPosted: March 8th, 2018, 13:17 
Offline

Joined: June 11th, 2013, 17:01
Posts: 990
Location: USA
Just had a Seagate Expansion Portable Drive in with one of the 'mobile' drives inside. Looks like Seagate are not putting drive information on the label now. That makes head swaps a challenge. We can get a certain amount of info from the ROM of course, but it does look like Seagate are making it more and more difficult for independent data recovery companies to recover drives :evil: :evil: :evil:


Attachments:
Seagate Blank.jpg
Seagate Blank.jpg [ 4.06 MiB | Viewed 1296 times ]

_________________
Hard Drive and RAID Data Recovery
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Seagate Drive Blank Label
PostPosted: March 8th, 2018, 13:58 
Offline

Joined: October 21st, 2007, 8:48
Posts: 1246
What's the drive condition?
I think that someone (another DR firm ) had struggling with the drive and put that sticker on after failed attempts?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Seagate Drive Blank Label
PostPosted: March 8th, 2018, 14:43 
Offline

Joined: June 11th, 2013, 17:01
Posts: 990
Location: USA
I have not opened the dive yet, but this label is exactly the same material and color as the Seagate mobile original. I would be amazed if its been made by a DR company. Its too precise. I will let you know as I find out more.

_________________
Hard Drive and RAID Data Recovery


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Seagate Drive Blank Label
PostPosted: March 8th, 2018, 14:48 
Offline

Joined: November 29th, 2006, 10:08
Posts: 7171
Location: UK
I’d say someone has removed the white label, leaving the foil one. IMHO

_________________
PC Image Data Recovery
www.pcimage.co.uk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Seagate Drive Blank Label
PostPosted: March 8th, 2018, 14:48 
Offline

Joined: October 21st, 2007, 8:48
Posts: 1246
ddrecovery wrote:
I would be amazed if its been made by a DR company. Its too precise.

It would be very very precise indeed. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Seagate Drive Blank Label
PostPosted: March 8th, 2018, 14:50 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: February 9th, 2009, 16:13
Posts: 2060
Location: Ontario, Canada
The top cover sticker does look somewhat thin, exposing the contour of the magnets and such.

_________________
Luke
RAID Data Recovery


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Seagate Drive Blank Label
PostPosted: March 8th, 2018, 15:00 
Offline

Joined: September 29th, 2005, 4:10
Posts: 255
Location: Moscow
original:
http://www.nix.ru/autocatalog/notebook_ ... llery=2245
They took off the sticker with the text.
On the lugs of the lid there were traces of scotch.
So do when the client disk is lost.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Seagate Drive Blank Label
PostPosted: March 8th, 2018, 15:03 
Offline

Joined: June 11th, 2013, 17:01
Posts: 990
Location: USA
pcimage wrote:
I’d say someone has removed the white label, leaving the foil one. IMHO

You are indeed correct Sean. I thought the white and silver labels were one label, but as you say they are not. I can also see glue marks where the white portion has been removed. I would send my apologies for accusing Seagate, but cant bring myself too :shock:

Thanks everyone.

_________________
Hard Drive and RAID Data Recovery


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Seagate Drive Blank Label
PostPosted: March 8th, 2018, 15:03 
Offline

Joined: October 21st, 2007, 8:48
Posts: 1246
pcimage wrote:
I’d say someone has removed the white label, leaving the foil one. IMHO

+1


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Seagate Drive Blank Label
PostPosted: March 8th, 2018, 15:10 
Offline

Joined: June 11th, 2013, 17:01
Posts: 990
Location: USA
Plot thickens. This came from an IT partner to us. Just asked him if he removed the label and said he didn't. In fact he said it was the second one without a label he had seen in the last few weeks.

_________________
Hard Drive and RAID Data Recovery


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Seagate Drive Blank Label
PostPosted: March 8th, 2018, 15:32 
Offline

Joined: November 29th, 2006, 10:08
Posts: 7171
Location: UK
ddrecovery wrote:
Plot thickens. This came from an IT partner to us. Just asked him if he removed the label and said he didn't. In fact he said it was the second one without a label he had seen in the last few weeks.


Call me cynical but in cases like these, and opened drives that the client denies all knowledge of, we assume the client is lying until proven otherwise.

In more than 9/10 times it turns out they are lying. :evil:

_________________
PC Image Data Recovery
www.pcimage.co.uk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Seagate Drive Blank Label
PostPosted: March 8th, 2018, 15:37 
Offline

Joined: June 11th, 2013, 17:01
Posts: 990
Location: USA
pcimage wrote:
ddrecovery wrote:
Plot thickens. This came from an IT partner to us. Just asked him if he removed the label and said he didn't. In fact he said it was the second one without a label he had seen in the last few weeks.


Call me cynical but in cases like these, and opened drives that the client denies all knowledge of, we assume the client is lying until proven otherwise.

In more than 9/10 times it turns out they are lying. :evil:

You are of course correct, but this guy does do basic data recovery (DDI) but does not have a cleanroom, so he is normally pretty trustworthy. After all we Data Recovery engineers can all be trusted.......

_________________
Hard Drive and RAID Data Recovery


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Seagate Drive Blank Label
PostPosted: March 8th, 2018, 15:43 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: March 6th, 2010, 3:46
Posts: 318
Location: Kolding | Denmark
pcimage wrote:
ddrecovery wrote:
Plot thickens. This came from an IT partner to us. Just asked him if he removed the label and said he didn't. In fact he said it was the second one without a label he had seen in the last few weeks.


Call me cynical but in cases like these, and opened drives that the client denies all knowledge of, we assume the client is lying until proven otherwise.

In more than 9/10 times it turns out they are lying. :evil:


+1 exactly

_________________
Digitalsupport Data Recovery
https://digitalsupport.dk


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group