Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

Looking for ROM/LDR for WD10EACS - 00ZJB0

March 9th, 2018, 4:23

Hello,

I am looking for ROM/LDR combination that I can try to attempt to gain access to the SA on this case I have. Any help is appreciated!

Drive model is - WD10EACS - 00ZJB0

Re: Looking for ROM/LDR for WD10EACS - 00ZJB0

March 9th, 2018, 4:26

What ROM version are you looking for?

March 9th, 2018, 5:40

The original board was fried from a power surge, I am definitely new in this field but I do have someone who is very reputable here helping me and he instructed me to find a ROM/LDR combination that allows me SA access. I am assuming that we are not able to identify the version and will try whatever is available, if I am wrong in saying this than correct me and I can go and get you the version.

Thanks!

March 9th, 2018, 6:24

That drive has Pcb 701474-xxx...right?
There is no external ROM on that one, just embedded in CPU.
So either repair Pcb, or hotswap it to get access to modules that holds ROM backup.

March 9th, 2018, 20:08

Spildit wrote:
miccodan wrote:The original board was fried from a power surge, I am definitely new in this field but I do have someone who is very reputable here helping me and he instructed me to find a ROM/LDR combination that allows me SA access. I am assuming that we are not able to identify the version and will try whatever is available, if I am wrong in saying this than correct me and I can go and get you the version.

Thanks!

If the data is important send the drive to a reputable data recovery firm.

If your friend there is so "reputable" as you say he wouldn't be telling YOU to find the ROM/LOADER YOURSELF and instead he would know how to gain access to SA HIMSELF.

Just get a compatible PCB to start with and use your firmware tools to check if you can read SA.

What tools are your "friend" using ?

Agree

March 9th, 2018, 20:28

What do you mean by "fried"? Is the motor controller chip burnt? If not, did you check the TVS diodes?

Catastrophic failures in Western Digital PCBs:
http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=2169

TVS diode FAQ:
http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=86
Post a reply