All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seagate ST2000DM001
PostPosted: March 21st, 2018, 17:54 

Model: ST2000DM001
PN: 1E6164-570
FW: SC48

Issue: Drive not detected by OS.

My Findings: Drive spins up and is Recognized by Linux, Shows 2 Partitions. Can not read Partition Format. Most of Drive is shown as Free space. A Third Partition shows up after about 10 mins. DD rescue outputs 100% Read errors. No bad Sounds from drive. Swapped the PCB for a Good one and transferred BIOS chip. Issues remain the same. Drive is occasionally not recognized by bios.

Connected to Serial port on drive. Can not get an f3 Prompt. Gets to SATA Reset and seems to just sit there. Shortly after this I released my USB to TTL Adapter is bad and I don't get a loop back. Ive ordered a new one in hopes that is why I can't get an F3 Prompt. In the Mean time maybe some questions can be answered for me.

Any idea's on what this could be?
How do I tell what 7200.X it is? I'm Guessing 7200.14

Post subject: Re: Seagate ST2000DM001
PostPosted: March 22nd, 2018, 8:41 

It’s a 7200.14 (aka Grenada) drive, and it’s 99% certainly a firmware problem. Nothing whatsoever to do with the PCB.

Unfortunately (for you) you need appropriate tools and experience to fix this problem with good chances of recovery.

If you don’t need the data then please feel free to have a play and risk your data being made permanently inaccessible, but if the data is worth something to you then I strongly advise you stop messing with it and send it to a proper DR company.

Shouldn’t be much more than $300 or thereabouts to recover, assuming it doesn't have any internal issues (which is a possibility but unlikely).

Good luck!

New!! HDD-PCB.COM for all your PCB and donor HDD requirements!