Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

Connecting SCSI 80PIN HDD

April 13th, 2018, 12:37

Hi,

I'm trying to Hook Up a SCSI HDD (80PIN) to my card with the usage of the following converter but the HDD is not spinning.
Can it be because of Jumper Settings?
HDD is working fine. Need to mount through this Card.
Attachments
IMG_20180411_193800.jpg
IMG_20180411_193752.jpg
IMG_20180411_193811.jpg

Re: Connecting SCSI 80PIN HDD

April 13th, 2018, 18:25

You need to have the correct scsi ids set for the devices in the chain.
Also, termination is important to be right.

Other than that, I do not understand that board of yours. From memory, we have used simple converter to connect old scsi things to newer controllers, as they should be backwards compatible.

What are you trying to connect the disk to ?

April 13th, 2018, 18:50

The OP's post is like something you see in user forums -- no details, no model numbers, no useful photos.

April 14th, 2018, 13:43

Lets be more specific.
I got several SCSI drive (36GB Each, 80PIN Native INTERFACE). From a server.

The drives are physically in working order.

I'm trying to mount the drive one by one with my SCSI CARD to my Desktop. And the by default, the SCSI interface of the card and Cable is 68pin as you know. To connect the 80Pin drive to that cable, I used a Converter which is known as SCA80, Once I connect the drive to that converter, it doesn't spin. None of the drive spins. I have 2 converters and tested both, with none of the converters hdd spins. HDDs are fine, Tested 2 converters and my supplier confirmed the converters are also fine.

I noticed the converters have jumper settings, my question is - is there the issue happening due to JUMPER SETTINGS of the converter? If so, what will be the correct order of jumper settings so that I can mount the drive?

April 14th, 2018, 14:10

If your supplier confirms the converters are fine, ask him for the manual for the jumper settings. Aren´t something written in the board ?

Can you post pictures of these converters, both sides ?

Which are the scsi ids in the adapter card and the hard disks ?

April 14th, 2018, 14:34

Ah, and when connecting the hard disk just to the power supply, do they spin ?

April 14th, 2018, 15:25

Can you send a shot of the adapter showing the jumper positions

April 14th, 2018, 16:25

shahij wrote:Lets be more specific.

Yes please. Model numbers?

April 15th, 2018, 4:50

shahij wrote:Lets be more specific.
I got several SCSI drive (36GB Each, 80PIN Native INTERFACE). From a server.

The drives are physically in working order.

I'm trying to mount the drive one by one with my SCSI CARD to my Desktop. And the by default, the SCSI interface of the card and Cable is 68pin as you know. To connect the 80Pin drive to that cable, I used a Converter which is known as SCA80, Once I connect the drive to that converter, it doesn't spin. None of the drive spins. I have 2 converters and tested both, with none of the converters hdd spins. HDDs are fine, Tested 2 converters and my supplier confirmed the converters are also fine.

I noticed the converters have jumper settings, my question is - is there the issue happening due to JUMPER SETTINGS of the converter? If so, what will be the correct order of jumper settings so that I can mount the drive?

So ,
You Have a SCSI card in your computer that has 68 pin scsi interfacing cable and you used a scsi 68 pin to hot swap 80 pin adapter ,Then man connect the power supply to this adapter simple and the drives will spin :mrgreen: :lol:

April 15th, 2018, 8:52

Here is the pictures.

@amar - the simple thing you adviced, I tried before posting. Thank you
Attachments
1523796665219364766041.jpg
15237965462711498871716.jpg

April 15th, 2018, 12:37

http://llamamusic.com/s50s550/UltraSCSI_DIY.pdf
There is a problem with the DLY (Delay motor spin) jumper setting.

April 17th, 2018, 8:17

Thank you Labtech, removing the jumper gave spin up.

Now, I don't get the Drive detected. Is there any need of specific jumper settings to get the drive detected?

April 17th, 2018, 10:14

I don't think so.

Those Maxtor SCSI drives often could be picky about what controller they work with, at least that is how I remember. Also, sometimes they work better/detect if you lay the drive on its back (PCB facing up). I know: weird..

April 17th, 2018, 15:25

Are the controller and drive both configured for the same interface type, ie differential or single-ended? Is the last drive in the chain the only one that is terminated?
Post a reply