All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 issue
PostPosted: April 16th, 2018, 9:55 
Offline

Joined: April 16th, 2018, 9:51
Posts: 3
Location: Here and There
Hello guys!
I'm new into the whole fixing HDD scene. I hope to find some help here since I do have a severe issue with my HDD.

The HDD would one day just stop working as it should. It does turn on and I can hear it spinning but the "crackling" noise it would make when it loads stuff are gone. My system can detect that there are 3 partitions and according to disk manager it seems to be able to figure out the correct sizes of the partitions and the whole drive, however!

The file system is RAW and the drive is extremely slow, even making my system boot up really slow since it tries to detect it.

What could be the cause of this issue? Does anyone have an idea what I can do to fix it? Is the PCB dead?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 issue
PostPosted: April 16th, 2018, 18:04 
Offline

Joined: October 16th, 2013, 13:21
Posts: 568
Location: Brazil
Since BIOS recognizes the hard disk, and the OS recognizes the size and the existance of partitioins, the pcb is not dead, otherwise none of this would occur.

You probably have bad heads, bad sectors in the media, and possibly firmware corruption.

If the data is important, better to take it to a competent recovery expert. If the data is not important, just forget the drive ( it won´t get fixed ) and buy another.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 issue
PostPosted: April 17th, 2018, 13:53 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: December 19th, 2006, 8:49
Posts: 9037
Location: Portugal
And if data is not important at all but you would still want to try to recover it CLONE your drive to another one using HDDSuperClone and then run recovery software like R-Studio ON THE CLONE and save the data to ANOTHER 3RD DRIVE !!!

As you have a 7200.12 you might want to check with Victoria for windows or MHDD first if you can SCAN the start, middle and end of the LBA space. If not you might have translator problems and/or partial access problem and it might require further action to fix it prior to clone the drive.

If data is of any importance to you please do use the services of a reputable DATA RECOVERY FIRM Right NOW !!!! And don't send the drive to a regular computer repair shop for recovery .... And forget about the internet sollution for 7200.11 drives, DO NOT DO IT. You will mess your drive for good and price for recovery will be way more expensive.

_________________
1Q9xrDTzTddUXeJAFRn37aqh1Yr6buDCdw - (Bitcoin Donations)
paypal.me/Spildit - (PayPal Donations)
The HDD Oracle - Platform for OPEN research on Data Recovery.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 issue
PostPosted: April 17th, 2018, 15:39 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: September 8th, 2009, 18:21
Posts: 10355
Location: Australia
See http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=1842&start=60#p10834

_________________
A backup a day keeps DR away.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 issue
PostPosted: April 18th, 2018, 2:49 
Offline

Joined: April 16th, 2018, 9:51
Posts: 3
Location: Here and There
I'm in a situation where the data is very important but I simply don't have money for the data recovery service, I'ts quite a mess:/

I'm not sure what to take from fzabkars post.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 issue
PostPosted: April 18th, 2018, 8:12 
Offline

Joined: October 16th, 2013, 13:21
Posts: 568
Location: Brazil
If the data is very important, keep the hdd stored in a safe place until you get the necessary amount of money. Don´t play with it and risk your data.

Of course, it is your data, so ....

Just understand that anything you do to it can destroy it for good, or at least make it cost very much more.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 issue
PostPosted: April 18th, 2018, 15:23 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: September 8th, 2009, 18:21
Posts: 10355
Location: Australia
dbstuff wrote:
I'm in a situation where the data is very important but I simply don't have money for the data recovery service, I'ts quite a mess:/

I'm not sure what to take from fzabkars post.

Get a USB-TTL adapter (US$5) and show us the output from the drive's terminal port.

_________________
A backup a day keeps DR away.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 issue
PostPosted: April 19th, 2018, 13:37 
Offline

Joined: April 16th, 2018, 9:51
Posts: 3
Location: Here and There
fzabkar wrote:
dbstuff wrote:
I'm in a situation where the data is very important but I simply don't have money for the data recovery service, I'ts quite a mess:/

I'm not sure what to take from fzabkars post.

Get a USB-TTL adapter (US$5) and show us the output from the drive's terminal port.

Can you provide an ebay link?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 issue
PostPosted: May 16th, 2018, 11:57 
Offline

Joined: May 15th, 2018, 18:46
Posts: 8
Location: Toronto
Just clone your drive with HDClone buddy. If partitions are there, you should not have a problem. Just enable Smart Copy and off you go. If there are any bad sectors, it will skip them. Once you cloned your drive, get yourself a replacement from the manufacturer with opening the RMA.

Let me know if that works. Cheers!

_________________
Yevgeniy. No, NOT Malkin.
Ambassador at ADRS®


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 issue
PostPosted: May 17th, 2018, 20:27 
Offline

Joined: January 29th, 2012, 1:43
Posts: 372
Location: United States
MasterHDD wrote:
Just clone your drive with HDClone buddy. If partitions are there, you should not have a problem. Just enable Smart Copy and off you go. If there are any bad sectors, it will skip them. Once you cloned your drive, get yourself a replacement from the manufacturer with opening the RMA.

Let me know if that works. Cheers!

As I write this, MasterHDD has 8 posts and just joined 2 days ago. Two of those posts suggest using HDClone. None of the posts indicate any real knowledge. Possible spammer for HDClone?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 issue
PostPosted: May 17th, 2018, 20:29 
Offline

Joined: October 16th, 2013, 13:21
Posts: 568
Location: Brazil
maximus wrote:
MasterHDD wrote:
Just clone your drive with HDClone buddy. If partitions are there, you should not have a problem. Just enable Smart Copy and off you go. If there are any bad sectors, it will skip them. Once you cloned your drive, get yourself a replacement from the manufacturer with opening the RMA.

Let me know if that works. Cheers!

As I write this, MasterHDD has 8 posts and just joined 2 days ago. Two of those posts suggest using HDClone. None of the posts indicate any real knowledge. Possible spammer for HDClone?


Probably


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 issue
PostPosted: May 18th, 2018, 13:58 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: December 19th, 2006, 8:49
Posts: 9037
Location: Portugal
I don't think that HDClone would help the OP ... Not to mention this is an "old" post ...

I did never use HDClone but i don't think it would beat HDDSuperClone or even ddrescue as a free software only cloning tool ...

_________________
1Q9xrDTzTddUXeJAFRn37aqh1Yr6buDCdw - (Bitcoin Donations)
paypal.me/Spildit - (PayPal Donations)
The HDD Oracle - Platform for OPEN research on Data Recovery.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group