All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 issue
PostPosted: April 16th, 2018, 9:55 

Hello guys!
I'm new into the whole fixing HDD scene. I hope to find some help here since I do have a severe issue with my HDD.

The HDD would one day just stop working as it should. It does turn on and I can hear it spinning but the "crackling" noise it would make when it loads stuff are gone. My system can detect that there are 3 partitions and according to disk manager it seems to be able to figure out the correct sizes of the partitions and the whole drive, however!

The file system is RAW and the drive is extremely slow, even making my system boot up really slow since it tries to detect it.

What could be the cause of this issue? Does anyone have an idea what I can do to fix it? Is the PCB dead?

Post subject: Re: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 issue
PostPosted: April 16th, 2018, 18:04 

Since BIOS recognizes the hard disk, and the OS recognizes the size and the existance of partitioins, the pcb is not dead, otherwise none of this would occur.

You probably have bad heads, bad sectors in the media, and possibly firmware corruption.

If the data is important, better to take it to a competent recovery expert. If the data is not important, just forget the drive ( it won´t get fixed ) and buy another.

PostPosted: April 17th, 2018, 15:39 

See http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=1842&start=60#p10834

PostPosted: April 18th, 2018, 2:49 

I'm in a situation where the data is very important but I simply don't have money for the data recovery service, I'ts quite a mess:/

I'm not sure what to take from fzabkars post.

PostPosted: April 18th, 2018, 8:12 

If the data is very important, keep the hdd stored in a safe place until you get the necessary amount of money. Don´t play with it and risk your data.

Of course, it is your data, so ....

Just understand that anything you do to it can destroy it for good, or at least make it cost very much more.

PostPosted: April 18th, 2018, 15:23 

dbstuff wrote:
I'm in a situation where the data is very important but I simply don't have money for the data recovery service, I'ts quite a mess:/

Get a USB-TTL adapter (US$5) and show us the output from the drive's terminal port.

PostPosted: April 19th, 2018, 13:37 

fzabkar wrote:
dbstuff wrote:

Get a USB-TTL adapter (US$5) and show us the output from the drive's terminal port.

Can you provide an ebay link?

PostPosted: May 16th, 2018, 11:57 

Just clone your drive with HDClone buddy. If partitions are there, you should not have a problem. Just enable Smart Copy and off you go. If there are any bad sectors, it will skip them. Once you cloned your drive, get yourself a replacement from the manufacturer with opening the RMA.

Let me know if that works. Cheers!

PostPosted: May 17th, 2018, 20:27 

MasterHDD wrote:
Just clone your drive with HDClone buddy. If partitions are there, you should not have a problem. Just enable Smart Copy and off you go. If there are any bad sectors, it will skip them. Once you cloned your drive, get yourself a replacement from the manufacturer with opening the RMA.

As I write this, MasterHDD has 8 posts and just joined 2 days ago. Two of those posts suggest using HDClone. None of the posts indicate any real knowledge. Possible spammer for HDClone?

PostPosted: May 17th, 2018, 20:29 

maximus wrote:
MasterHDD wrote:

As I write this, MasterHDD has 8 posts and just joined 2 days ago. Two of those posts suggest using HDClone. None of the posts indicate any real knowledge. Possible spammer for HDClone?

Probably

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2018, 11:00 

Different strokes for different folks, folks.

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2018, 20:11 

MasterHDD wrote:
Different strokes for different folks, folks.

I am going to refer to the software you mentioned as "software that shall not be named", as I don't want to help spam it more. I am already disappointed in myself for quoting it and retyping the name in a previous post. My bad :cry:

I tried it, the free version, both the bootable iso and the executable (I even got daring and installed it too), and it is just total crap. I couldn't get it to clone a drive at all, it just cancelled as soon as I started it, and when trying to image it just said it was done after imaging 2048 sectors. Total crap software.

PostPosted: May 23rd, 2018, 14:52 

Hello dbstuff. If you can try the HDD in another computer (or the one you have) and it is detected in the BIOS you can try the DIY software. https://www.seagate.com/services-software/recover/recovery-software/. Here is a link with an FAQ. http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/219611en?language=en-us. Best of luck.

PostPosted: May 23rd, 2018, 18:52 

@seagate_surfer, it's too bad that Seagate's firmware (and WD's) falls over when the drive hits a patch of bad sectors. Worse still, the solution often involves a simple fix from behind a keyboard. Even worse than that, Quantum's drives enabled its users to apply a similar "fix" using publicly documented, vendor specific ATA commands. It would be a very simple matter for Seagate (and WD) to provide a simple tool for their beleaguered users so that they could do what the "professionals" do, for no cost. Isn't it about time?

BTW, do you know when SeaChest will be provided as a routine matter in place of the essentially useless SeaTools?