All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reset or modify SMART on Samsung Harddisk
PostPosted: April 30th, 2018, 6:02 

Short question: Is there a way to edit or reset the SMART of a Samsung hard disk?

Long Story: Hi there. I have a Problem whit a Samsung ST1000DM003. I used to have this one in a USB case. Now certainly it started whit lots of bad sectors, so i decides to make a backup and replace the disk.

I could not copy lots of data while connected to USB. Got lots of read error and more BAD sectors. So i removed the disk from the enclosure and connected it directly to the PC's SATA bus. What a surprise, i could copy everything without even one problem. So i did a Sector scan, no errors.

A little bit suspicious... I put an old 80 Gig hard disk into the enclosure to make a test, resulting in BAD Sectors. So there is something whit the Enclosure and the 1TB hard disk is still in shape.

But the SMART is now marked as BAD. ID1 error rate reached the Threshold of 120. according to CrystalDiskInfo.

So.. back to the question. Is there a way to edit or reset the SMART of a Samsung hard disk? Id did a search and found a very simple way to reset a WD and a little harder way to reset a Seagate. But nothing about Samsung. Except of expensive stuff like DolphinLabsData and PC3000. To expensive for a 1TB hard disk.

Post subject: Re: Reset or modify SMART on Samsung Harddisk
PostPosted: April 30th, 2018, 9:02 

that is a seagate disk.

And it uses to develop bad sectors and other problems, so if it is not really bad yet, it will be in little time.

Also, you can do a full erase and scan of it to remap some bad sectores. Other than that, if you believe the smart information to be wrong, just ignore it or disable in bios if it suits.

PostPosted: April 30th, 2018, 9:16 

No its a Samsung, had the wrong one here. It is a HD103SJ. Well, it has no bad sectors after the test.

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2018, 5:42 

Spildit wrote:
HD103SJ is a classic "F3" way prior to trinity.

You can clear S.M.A.R.T. for FREE with the following VSCs :

Attachment:
1.jpg

Attachment:
2.jpg

This will clear (re-set to 0) attribute 1 - Raw Read Error Rate (and the majority of the other attributes as well) ...

As alternative buy tools like SeDiv or SHTR.

To issue the mentioned commands :

http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1765

Thanks for the Reply. A free tool must do, because a new harddisk is cheap nowadays. So i tried the HRT and the HDD tool, but both wont recognize the harddisk. I am at a WinXP computer for this. Don't have a W98 here right now. Does W98 runs on SATA?

I used this manual you wrote: http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=2297 but im somehow stuck on the BASE ID for the drive. Victoria says its BCD0, but when entered that in the HDD.ini File it wont recognize the drive.

PostPosted: December 19th, 2019, 6:30 

Spildit wrote:
Roman78 wrote:
(...) Id did a search and found a very simple way to reset a WD and a little harder way to reset a Seagate. But nothing about Samsung. (...)

If you check my site you will find out the commands to re-set S.M.A.R.T. on the majority of drives from older Quantum to modern Seagates !

:D :D :D

I registered here to post that I have Toshiba drives which need reset. I registered on your site where I could find no methods for Toshiba drives, posted but it was removed by moderator (or blocked from posting). Also cannot use PMs there as well. Not user friendly! :wink:

PostPosted: December 19th, 2019, 12:35 

Methanoid wrote:
Spildit wrote:
Roman78 wrote:
(...) Id did a search and found a very simple way to reset a WD and a little harder way to reset a Seagate. But nothing about Samsung. (...)

If you check my site you will find out the commands to re-set S.M.A.R.T. on the majority of drives from older Quantum to modern Seagates !

I registered here to post that I have Toshiba drives which need reset. I registered on your site where I could find no methods for Toshiba drives, posted but it was removed by moderator (or blocked from posting). Also cannot use PMs there as well. Not user friendly! :wink:

Spildit has abandoned his site for months....
Maybe one day he'll return to answer your questions....
There exists a VSC command to init SMART on Toshiba drives....

PostPosted: December 19th, 2019, 13:36 

BGman wrote:
Methanoid wrote:
Spildit wrote:
Roman78 wrote:

Spildit has abandoned his site for months....
Maybe one day he'll return to answer your questions....
There exists a VSC command to init SMART on Toshiba drives....

Thanks, I didnt know he'd stopped.

I have looked but not found VSC commands or what VSC is. I read that Victoria is good s/w but doesn't reset and Sediv does work but is expensive. Not worth it for one drive!! Is there no free solution??