All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: HD322HJ/SRA doesn´t spin up
PostPosted: May 3rd, 2018, 18:09 

My friend end up not having much data in this drive, so after some negotiations now the drive is mine. One less thing to worry about.

SHT ( 4.0.9 ) didn´t detect the good drive, in none of the 4 ports it list in the settings. I believe it may be due to the sata controller of the pc I use for experiments, an ULi chip. Will make some test with a IDE hdd, and if that works, install winxp in another computer, now with intel chipset.

As it was late of night, I decided to try the good board in the bad drive just to see if it would spin and, well, it worked. I was not sure it it would work, but as linux understood the partitions in the drive, I tried to clone it. It cloned without errors, but I still will check filesystem/files.

If the important files are ok, then I can copy them to my friend, and have the two disks to practice the hot swaping and overlay adaptation. Will need to verify also what is the problem with the hdd detection in SHT.

If the files are not ok, due to the differences in rom, then I probably will need to get the softwares working in other machine. Will keep you posted.

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2018, 19:05 

Spildit wrote:
rogfanther wrote:
As it was late of night, I decided to try the good board in the bad drive just to see if it would spin and, well, it worked. I was not sure it it would work, but as linux understood the partitions in the drive, I tried to clone it. It cloned without errors, but I still will check filesystem/files.

This is because the ROM code on the good PCB is THE SAME as the one on the OLD PCB so you are good to go. No need to do anything else.

If ROM is not compatible with Overlay the drive will not boot and it will not be detected by OS.

OOkay, so : even with the two disks working, how would one find if the rom code is the same ? Of course, one can read it from both and compare the files, or relevant part of the files. But is there a way to read versions ?

When ROM is not compatible, can we say it won´t boot, ( like, if it is compatible, it will boot, so if it boots, then rom is compatible ) or there are cases where it can boot but will read things wrong

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2018, 19:10 

I´m basing my suppositions of different rom on this :

Bad drive :

Code:
SHOS - Released on 2009/03/30 09:45 by sangyun.jung
DRAM=16MB SoC=26A3
SHOS-(1AC18bzM.d11)

Good drive :

Code:
SHOS - Released on 2008/06/19 19:05 by Administrator
DRAM=16MB SoC=26A3
SHOS-(1AC13atM.a11)

That is why I ask about how to determine the version of involved ROM/fw. Is it through SHT, for example, or Samsung´s own util, or a command through the uart port ?

Being able to know the versions would make easier to find two similar disks with really different ROM/FW/Overlays to properly test and document the procedure.

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2018, 19:27 

Spildit wrote:
rogfanther wrote:
SHT ( 4.0.9 ) didn´t detect the good drive, in none of the 4 ports it list in the settings. I believe it may be due to the sata controller of the pc I use for experiments, an ULi chip. Will make some test with a IDE hdd, and if that works, install winxp in another computer, now with intel chipset.

Try to set SATA ports to IDE/COMPATIBLE in BIOS. Make sure you have 32 bit version of windows. Make sure you install the driver for the software (direct I/O).

Try to see if Victoria for windows detect the drive in PIO.

That´s the thing, there isn´t an option for this in BIOS. This board was a kind of a white elephant, with two IDE channels and two SATA, so Asus probably didn´t put much features in its bios other than the raid option.

Yes, windows XP 32bits, yes, the driver that SHT wants was installed.

No, Victoria doesn´t detect the drive in PIO, but it can see it when in API.

That shouldn´t be a problem, this machine is more for linux development and hdd cloning. I will produce a more "normal" one for this kind of firmware work, while I do not find other with decent processor , good chipset and the necessary IDE and SATA ports.

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2018, 19:36 

It probably won't make any difference, but try jumpering the drive for a SATA speed of 1.5Gbps:

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2018, 19:52 

Sadly, no difference.

For completeness, the motherboard is an Asus P5RD1-VM.

No sweat, I will install xp in a more normal board and make tests with it.

PostPosted: May 4th, 2018, 0:40 

rogfanther wrote:
Bad drive :

Code:
SHOS - Released on 2009/03/30 09:45 by sangyun.jung
DRAM=16MB SoC=26A3
SHOS-(1AC18bzM.d11)

Good drive :

Code:
SHOS - Released on 2008/06/19 19:05 by Administrator
DRAM=16MB SoC=26A3
SHOS-(1AC13atM.a11)

That is why I ask about how to determine the version of involved ROM/fw.

looks like your patient has ver. 1AC01118
and your donor 1AC01113

PostPosted: May 4th, 2018, 9:55 

Then I got lucky, isn´t it ?

To clear things up : the way to know which are the versions of some boards, when this version is not printed in the disk label, would be through terminal log or maybe analyzing the dumped rom.
Is there a terminal command to show it ( other than looking at that part of the boot log ), or does the tools ( other than pc3000 ) show it ?

PostPosted: May 4th, 2018, 16:04 

Spildit wrote:
rogfanther wrote:
(...)
When ROM is not compatible, can we say it won´t boot, ( like, if it is compatible, it will boot, so if it boots, then rom is compatible ) or there are cases where it can boot but will read things wrong

When ROM is not compatible you will get a terminal message saying that the overaly didn't load and you will not have ATA access to the drive so you won't read a thing (LBA).

And the other condition of that same question : are there cases where the rom is not 100% compatible, the drive will seem to work, but somehow will read wrong information from the platters ?

PostPosted: May 4th, 2018, 16:06 

Spildit wrote:
rogfanther wrote:

Can you slect PIO at all ? If NO then driver is not installed properly (maybe AV blocks installation of kernel drivers, etc ....

If you can select PIO but you can't detect the drive then try another PORT or motherboard !!!

Yes, I can select PIO. The softwares just do not detect the disks, probably due to the way the bios / chipset implements the raid function.

Nevermind that, I will get another machine to test, giving preference to one that explicitly allows changing from SATA to IDE mode in BIOs.

PostPosted: May 4th, 2018, 16:10 

Spildit wrote:
rogfanther wrote:
Spildit wrote:
rogfanther wrote:
(...)

When ROM is not compatible you will get a terminal message saying that the overaly didn't load and you will not have ATA access to the drive so you won't read a thing (LBA).

And the other condition of that same question : are there cases where the rom is not 100% compatible, the drive will seem to work, but somehow will read wrong information from the platters ?

NO. The OVERALY will NOT LOAD !

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Ok. I´m just asking because ( I think it was on your site, but I will need to check later ) there was a little list stating the possible situations ( equal rom, different rom, etc ) and it was mentioned the possibility that that different could make the drive seem to work but there would be errors with translator or the drive could return only zeros.

PostPosted: May 4th, 2018, 16:11 

Spildit wrote:
rogfanther wrote:
Spildit wrote:
rogfanther wrote:

Can you slect PIO at all ? If NO then driver is not installed properly (maybe AV blocks installation of kernel drivers, etc ....

If you can select PIO but you can't detect the drive then try another PORT or motherboard !!!

Yes, I can select PIO. The softwares just do not detect the disks, probably due to the way the bios / chipset implements the raid function.

Nevermind that, I will get another machine to test, giving preference to one that explicitly allows changing from SATA to IDE mode in BIOs.

If Victoria doesn't detect the drive in PIO most likely ALL the other software based firmware tools will NOT detect it either ....

Yes, that is what happened and I informed yesterday. Software seems to just detect IDE drives, that are connected to the main chipset.

PostPosted: May 4th, 2018, 16:12 

Spildit wrote:
Maybe the system assigned the drives as ... SLAVE ?

I tested with two drives connected, and also played with the slave options in Victoria and SHT.

I still believe the sata raid controller to be the culprit.

PostPosted: May 4th, 2018, 16:14 

Spildit wrote:
Disable RAID ?

No such option in bios or otherwise. Just Sata Enable/Disable.

As described, motherboard from some transitional times : chipset from ATI, sata controller from ULI, Intel processor ...