All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: All I Wanna Do Is Set A Master Password On A IDE Drive
PostPosted: May 9th, 2018, 22:48 

Problem: I've got a modded Xbox original that needs to have the drive locked in order to boot the retail dash. The drive that I bought to upgrade the old Xbox is an Hitachi CinemaStar 250GB IDE drive that cannot be locked because a master password has not been yet set. This drive right now is unlockable until a master password is set.

Documentation from the Hitachi CinemaStar manual reads:

Page 98
"The system manufacturer or dealer who intends to enable the device lock function for end users must set the master password even if only single level password protection is required."

Once the master password is set I should be able to lock or unlock the driver at will within the Xenium modchip OS

It looks to me that MHDD is the program that can set a master password for the drive. But I have another problem. The drive I need to set the master password on is an IDE drive and my mother board does not have an IDE header. Only SATA connection headers. The only way I can connect the IDE drive to the PC to give MHDD access to it is via an IDE to USB cable setup. Which I have ready to go.

Can someone walk me through what to download and how to set up the MHDD boot disk so that it can see the driver via USB?

The BIOS on my PC is set to read the USB ports for boot images. But there are no boot images on the IDE CinemaStar drive. But all that irrelevant correct? Because MHDD should have the drivers on it to scan a USB connected drive right?

I have already downloaded the "Magic Boot Disk - ISO CD Image V2.0".

I also downloaded the MHDD32v4.6 archive .exe but I'm running Windows 7 64 and I assume that "32" in the filename "MHDD32v4.6" means it runs only on a 32 bit system like WinXP because that .exe will not run in Windows 7.

I would rather run a boot disk with just the IDE CinemaStar connected to the PC via USB and have my HDD with my OS on it disconnected to avoid any possible damage to my OS.

Question- Can MHDD see a USB connected drive from the boot image and set a master password for it?

The MHDD commands to set either a master password or a user password from the MHDD documentation link:

Security commands

"Use PWD command to lock a drive with defined user password. According to ATA/ATAPI standard, you have to repower the drive to make password setting active.

There are two commands to unlock drives: UNLOCK and DISPWD. UNLOCK just unlocks a drive till the next power cycle. To disable password you have to UNLOCK drive first, then use DISPWD command to disable the password. You have to know the password to use unlock or disable password commands. UNLOCK and DISPWD will ask you which kind of password you will enter: master or user. For example, PWD command sets USER password.

Master password is set by manufacturer and can be used to unlock a drive."

Post subject: Re: All I Wanna Do Is Set A Master Password On A IDE Drive
PostPosted: May 10th, 2018, 3:28 

hdparm should be able to set a password via USB.

PostPosted: May 10th, 2018, 17:56 

Or user another pc just to configure the drive with the password you need. You are using hddhackr ?

PostPosted: May 11th, 2018, 1:30 

rogfanther wrote:
Or user another pc just to configure the drive with the password you need. You are using hddhackr ?

Actually I haven't figured out what to use at all yet. I was pointed to MHDD from another forum and then registered here on HDDGuru to ask questions about MHDD and how to make it work.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2018, 2:03 

fzabkar wrote:
hdparm should be able to set a password via USB.

Downloaded and installed HDParm and that program seems to be merely a hard drive optimization utility. It basically just runs from the start menu and every time you reboot your PC the HDParm window pops up when windows loads and ask your permission to optimize your HDD APM settings. No interface that scans your disk or utility to enable and set a master password.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2018, 11:50 

I think he means to run hdpram in linux ( or a linux live cd ) .

I meant if you were using hddhackr to configure the hdd to be recognized in the xbox. If your console is already hacked to accept any hard disk, it would just be the case to put another disk on it.

If for some reason it needs the hard disk to have a password, then connect the hdd to a computer with IDE interface then use mhdd or victoria to set a password in it.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2018, 17:04 

hdparm man page:
https://linux.die.net/man/8/hdparm

See the section entitled "ATA Security Feature Set".

Here is another Linux tool (HDDSuperTool):
http://www.sdcomputingservice.com/hddsupertool/scripts

PostPosted: May 12th, 2018, 2:29 

rogfanther wrote:
If for some reason it needs the hard disk to have a password, then connect the hdd to a computer with IDE interface then use mhdd or victoria to set a password in it.

Ahh now I do have some experience with Victoria. And I do have a very old PC around with an IDE header on the MB. But Victoria only runs from Windows. If I want to run Victoria from the IDE drive connected to the old PC that has the IDE header then I will have to reformat the drive in Fat32 or NTFS and load a copy of Windows on that drive in order to run Victoria on it and scan the drive. The question is, is there a bootable ISO option of Victoria that I can use to scan the IDE drive from the DVD drive (or from the memory, however those things load and run)?

I've used Bart's PE before and that loads an OS into memory and runs from the memory all the programs and utilities included in the ISO package. If I knew how to include Victoria into a Bart's PE package that would be the best solution yet. I had a Bart's PE disk one time that loaded a copy of WinXP into memory. Then I could run Victoria from there to scan the disk and set the master password.

PostPosted: May 12th, 2018, 2:44 

Lunker wrote:
rogfanther wrote:

Ahh now I do have some experience with Victoria. And I do have a very old PC around with an IDE header on the MB. But Victoria only runs from Windows. If I want to run Victoria from the IDE drive connected to the old PC that has the IDE header then I will have to reformat the drive in Fat32 or NTFS and load a copy of Windows on that drive in order to run Victoria on it and scan the drive. The question is, is there a bootable ISO option of Victoria that I can use to scan the IDE drive from the DVD drive (or from the memory, however those things load and run)?

I've used Bart's PE before and that loads an OS into memory and runs from the memory all the programs and utilities included in the ISO package. If I knew how to include Victoria into a Bart's PE package that would be the best solution yet. I had a Bart's PE disk one time that loaded a copy of WinXP into memory. Then I could run Victoria from there to scan the disk and set the master password.
Dos version of Victoria is on the old Hirens boot cd/dvd. You can choose either the English or Russian version. Mhdd is also on there. You have to select the dos menu. If you use Hirens to boot to Windows you can choose to run Victoria for Windows as well. I use Hirens ver. 13.xx. To make these programmes work don't forget to select ide or compatibility mode in the bios before you boot in to Hirens.

PostPosted: May 14th, 2018, 0:06 

Spildit wrote:
Run Hiren's boot and load mini xp on it. It should have Victoria included. Select PIO mode and scan channels. Detect your drive. Place a password on the password field, select MASTER and click lock.

You should be done. If you lock the drive with user password you have to provide that same password to unlock the drive.

If you "lock" the drive with MASTER password only (in victoria) then the master password will be SET but the drive will not be locked.

You should do that only (set master password). DO NOT set user password.

Thank You! I will try that. I'll post back and let you know if I was successful.

PostPosted: May 15th, 2018, 0:55 

It looks like the Hitachi CinemaStar Model HCS725025VLAT80 is an unlockable drive. It appears the manufacturer has to set the master password in order to enable user password function to either lock or unlock the HDD.

I was able to run Victoria from MiniXp from Hiren's Boot Disk and I kept getting an error when I tried to set a master password. You can see the error in red below in the image that says "Pwd error". If you look over in the left pane at the "Security:" line it says "Off".

Now here is an image of an Hitiachi DeskStar Model HDS722525VLAT80. This drive is a known lockable drive. If you look in the left pane at the "Security:" line it says "Off, Frozen". This drive has had the master password set by the manufacturer and user password function is enabled to lock or unlock the drive.

If anyone knows of any tweaks in the Victoria software that would allow me to set the master password in the Hitachi CinemaStar please give my a shout.

PostPosted: May 20th, 2018, 16:50 

Spildit wrote:
Instead on "MASTER" select USER. Can you lock the drive now ?

I tried user also. I still got "Pwd error"