Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

How bad is Rosewood *actually*?

June 7th, 2018, 0:34

I just bought several LaCie external drives (because there's little else to choose from if you want Type-C external drives) and to my dismay they contained ST2000LM007 hard drives.

Looking back, how bad has the failure rate of these Rosewood drives really been? I've seen many anecdotes. Does anyone know of any actual data?

I'd appreciate any input.

Re: How bad is Rosewood *actually*?

June 7th, 2018, 4:36

They're perfect for beer coasters.

June 7th, 2018, 4:51

OK , A wise man once said " Buy your enemy Seagate "

June 7th, 2018, 18:08

they are pretty much the next episode of "Grenada" or even worse.

June 7th, 2018, 21:49

How much of it is an issue with these drives failing spontaneously vs them just having a much lower tolerance to abuse (impacts, vibrations etc.)

Since they’re sold as a mobile drive, I’m guessing that the vast majority of failed unit are from mobile devices in which a drive is more likely to be subject to abuse. Of course, the drives should be able to withstand that abuse, but supposing the drives were used in a stationary system, is failure likely?

I must admit that I’ve seen many user reviews with reports of ST2000LM007 drives failing when used in (relatively) stationary systems like gaming consoles, but the frequency of these negative reviews seems no higher than for competing drives from WD.

June 16th, 2018, 0:53

Well that didn't take long

June 16th, 2018, 15:30

That's too funny.
What made you run a SMART test on it?

June 16th, 2018, 16:27

@Oubadah, I don't understand how 175861730902 (= 0x28F22D0E56) becomes 196 power-on hours ???

Can you display the SMART raw values in hexadecimal?

BTW, some error counts may need to be divided by 8 due to there being 8 LBAs per physical sector.

June 16th, 2018, 19:18

labtech wrote:What made you run a SMART test on it?

File transfers hung in Windows (light on enclosure kept flashing but nothing was being transferred).

fzabkar wrote:Can you display the SMART raw values in hexadecimal?

June 17th, 2018, 16:50

0xbd5000000cb = 13009455939787 (decimal)
    0xCB = 203 (decimal)

ISTM that there may be a hex-to-decimal conversion bug in CrystalDiskInfo. :?
Post a reply