All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Undocumented Commands
PostPosted: June 7th, 2018, 2:38 

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody was aware of any undocumented commands relating to reallocated sectors? I am particularly interested in being able to perform the following tasks:

• List the bad sectors that have been reallocated
  • Force a specific sector to be reallocated
  • Unmap a bad sector that has previously been remapped (ie remove it from the reallocation table)
  • Report the free space in the reallocation table (ie number of sectors still available for reallocation)
  • Report the size of the reallocation table (ie maximum number of sectors that can be reallocated)

If anybody knows of any undocumented commands (for any hard drive manuacturer) that could help with doing any of the above, I should be very grateful if they wouldn't mind sharing them.

Thanks very much!

Post subject: Re: Undocumented Commands
PostPosted: June 7th, 2018, 10:37 

Thanks very much Spildit, that has given me a LOT of material to work through. I have experience as computer programmer but none so far with firmware of any sort, so this will be quite a learning curve for me, but I always enjoy learning new skills. I've no idea where to start exactly, but the links you have provided sound interesting so they will be my first focus.

If I do manage to find anything useful I will report back.

Thanks again for all the info.

Post subject: Re: Undocumented Commands
PostPosted: June 7th, 2018, 13:10 

Wow, thanks again for so many signposts! That is absolutely brilliant. That will definitely keep me busy for a while 8-)

Yes, that is precisely why I use a different email address for each website that requests one - just makes sense to me 8-)

Thanks again. I will probably be very quiet for a long time now while I try to digest all of that...

3g