Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

WD PCB Swap Won't Work

June 8th, 2018, 9:38

I have a WD My Passport External disk that stopped working and started making a clicking sound during file transfer. I found out the PCB was corroded at several spots. You can hear the clicking sound and the see the PCB here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxlfAyj-vF8
IMG_20180501_115317.jpg

I ordered a donor PCB from AliExpress that matches the original one (Both 2060-771961-001) and had a professional done the two bios chip swap. Clicking sound stopped but computer won't initilize the disk. When I try to initiliaze through Disk Management Incorrect Function error appears.

What are my chances to save this HDD apart from sending it to data recovery companies. The data in it is not so critical so I'm not planning to spend big bucks on it.

Thanks.

Re: WD PCB Swap Won't Work

June 9th, 2018, 3:40

In that case, how can we explain the healthy spinning after PCB change?
BTW, I opened the lid before swapping the PCB to see if the head was stuck. It was sitting in the park position.

June 9th, 2018, 7:15

Luckily "data in it is not so critical"
"I opened the lid" and "try to initiliaze through Disk Management"
Sounds more like data destruction then recovery - no further options you can do yourself.

June 9th, 2018, 23:42

In this step you should check heads one by one with special tools 8)
Post a reply