Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

Buffalo USB Bridge

June 11th, 2018, 0:42

Good day,

I've got this rather old Buffalo 2.5' external HDD from a client, the HDD is indeed in bad shape though we managed to read quite a bit of the sectors.

I've tried connect the donor drive with the USB bridge attached (the controller board), to one of our system here, the system doesn't seem to detect anything at all.

Now I suspect something is not right with the USB bridge (not 100% sure though), I don't seem to recognize the ROM chip (or whether there is one)

It will be very much appreciated if anyone here could help please :P :P

Thanks in advance.

Best regards
Darecom

Re: Buffalo USB Bridge

June 11th, 2018, 0:43

Sorry, forgot to attach the snapshots of the controller board earlier.

There you go
Attachments
IMG_20180611_123221.jpg
IMG_20180611_123138.jpg

June 11th, 2018, 3:32

Pretty sure that isn’t an encrypting controller. So no real need to use the bridge board.

June 11th, 2018, 4:13

pcimage wrote:Pretty sure that isn’t an encrypting controller. So no real need to use the bridge board.

It depends Sean

I know 2 types of the old model (old usb)

by looking @ the end (last sectors) you will know which one is it.

:wink:

June 11th, 2018, 4:27

@Sean +1 :good:
@einstein9 1608L does not encrypt

June 11th, 2018, 7:11

mr_spokk wrote:@Sean +1 :good:
@einstein9 1608L does not encrypt

Never trust the CLIENT. and double check (I do listen to them, but important to believe on what they say/present)

June 11th, 2018, 10:45

daRecoM wrote:
Now I suspect something is not right with the USB bridge (not 100% sure though), I don't seem to recognize the ROM chip (or whether there is one)

Well, first give it a good cleaning , then try again. It seems to have some corrosion alongside the dirt.

Other than that, if you managed to read a lot of the disk, what does DMDE shows, for example ? And can you post the dump of the last sectors, as @einstein9 suggested ?

June 12th, 2018, 22:52

Good day,

@pcimage & @rogfanther Thanks so much for your advise. :P

@einstein9 if I've done correctly, there's nothing in the last sector. Please find attached screenshot

The surface of the disk is pretty bad, I'm scanning the imaged drive now (without the USB bridge)

Again guys, thank you so much for your help, appreciated that.
Attachments
LastSector.png

June 13th, 2018, 9:25

I agree with the others, both in that the bridge would not encrypt, and also about the client not telling everything.

Let´s start from the beginning.

What is the hard disk brand/model, how does it behave when connected to the sata port of a computer ?

How did you image it, and which were the results ( like, number of retrieved sectors x unreadable sectores ) . Any firmeware manipulation was necessary ?

Depending on the amount of things "not read", it will be hard to identify filesystems or recover bigger files. Maybe some head swap will be necessary. But first we need information about the hard disk and its behaviour.
Post a reply