All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How do I set up a mirror?
PostPosted: June 15th, 2018, 2:43 

I have 2 4TB drives and I want to mirror one to the other. The source drive has data. The destination drive doesn't. Everything I've read says it works fine like this. If I right-click the source drive in disk management, "Add mirror" is greyed out. That's because it's not dynamic and I have to do that first, right? I'm supposed to be able to right-click the source drive and click "Convert to dynamic" but that option is not listed. So what do I do? I googled for what to do if "convert to dynamic" is missing but I couldn't find anything. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: How do I set up a mirror?
PostPosted: June 15th, 2018, 15:07 

What is the ( I suppose windows ) version ? Is it up to date ?

One possible way : format clean the other disk, convert it to dynamic, then copy the data from this disk to it.

After all is copied, format this disk, then convert it do dynamic, then create the mirror.

PostPosted: June 15th, 2018, 17:47 

I solved a small problem but the main problem remains. Windows can be really stupid. If you go to Disk Management, it's divided into 2 sections. The top half has columns (volumne, Layout, File System, etc) and each drive is a row. The bottom half has rectangles to represent each drive. When I right-clicked on my drive, I right-clicked on it in the bottom half and "Add Mirror" is greyed out. I saw this with another of my drives, too, but right-clicking other drives in the bottom half of Disk Management lists "Add Mirror". So I right-clicked the drive I want to mirror in the top half of Disk Management and then it shows "Add Mirror". So for some drives, it doesn't show up in the bottom half of Disk Management but it shows up for all of them in the top half. Why? It's not because of the size of the drive. So I found "Add Mirror" and clicked on it and when I told it to go ahead and do it I got an error. MBR drives bigger than 2TB cannot be mirrored or converted to Dynamic. So now what do I do? Convert to something other than MBR? What about 3rd party software that CAN mirror 4TB drives? Does it even exist?

PostPosted: June 16th, 2018, 1:01 

I don't know anything about GPT. What do I need to know? Will the drive function any differently from a user's point of view? Can I copy from an MBR drive to a GPT drive and the reverse? How do I convert?

PostPosted: June 16th, 2018, 1:18 

Please, post pictures of the Disk Management screen.

PostPosted: June 18th, 2018, 0:27 

rogfanther wrote:
Please, post pictures of the Disk Management screen.

Why? I'm pretty sure my Disk Management screen functions the same way yours does. What would be accomplished by showing you a picture of it?